• Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    :dunno:

0f01a2c1.jpg

Hmmm interesting... Thanks for sharing... I'll have to ask around.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    IPAD results:
    9712fb89.jpg

PC results:

I'm only paying $69.95/mo.......

Alright, I knew it was bad, but this crap gave me the kick in my shorts to upgrade my firmware and tweak my router settings....There were a lot of things that I learned that will bottleneck a N band network quickly. Use WPA2-AES, enable channel bonding in 5gHz only, etc....

This is a bit better

I'll post IPAD results soon

I am getting 30MB/s-ish from a wired connection now.

OK... What on earth did you do to up your signal that much? Sell your wife to the cable guy?

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    At the house (over WiFi about 40-50' away going through a brick wall and an pair of other walls)

2018260281.png

It is normally over 80Mb/s download when I am wired in, but not bad for WiFi.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    OK... What on earth did you do to up your signal that much? Sell your wife to the cable guy?

Ditched the stock firmware on my router for DD-WRT firmware (build 15962), switched to WPA2-AES security as anything else can kill N band speeds up to 80%, and forced channel bonding for 5ghz.

Last edited:

Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Is it a coincidence that I got this email from my internet provider shortly after running diagnostics at speedtest.net? :dunno:

Dear WOW! Internet Customer,

Great news! We have increased your Internet download speed from 8Mbps to 15Mbps at no additional charge to you. In order to get the new speed you just need to reboot your cable modem. Please follow the steps below to reboot your modem:
    1. Turn off your computer
    2. Unplug the power cord to your cable modem
    3. If you have a router, unplug it too
    4. After about 30 seconds plug the power back into the cable modem
    5. In a couple of minutes the cable modem should acquire a signal and the cable light will remain on solid
    6. If you unplugged a router in step 3, plug it back in now
    7. Restart your computer and enjoy your new speed

If you have any trouble with any of the steps above, please give us a call at 1-866-XXX-XXXX. We recognize that you have a choice of Internet providers and thank you for the opportunity to serve you.

Sincerely,

Cash Hagen
    Chief Technology Officer
    WOW! Internet-Cable-Phone​

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Att has the absolute worst customer service around. I wouldnt go back to them if it was $5 a month.

Work in the industry an can tell you I have seen people go from AT&T dsl to uverse Internet and pic up tons of speed, seen people go from fastest Comcast to slower uverse and pick up a lot of speed and from uverse to Comcast and pick up speed.... Some areas have better service with bright house ect ect.. See my point?

It all depends on the area/cable/wire/often who installs it.

Saying one is worse then the other often is only true for the area.

I am not a fan of DSL... Don't even know why it is still available.

No Lot Lizards

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Kenworth W900L
    Work in the industry an can tell you I have seen people go from AT&T dsl to uverse Internet and pic up tons of speed, seen people go from fastest Comcast to slower uverse and pick up a lot of speed and from uverse to Comcast and pick up speed.... Some areas have better service with bright house ect ect.. See my point?

CUSTOMER SERVICE, not service.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

DSL is a cheap way to offer broadband to the masses, until fiber optics really kicks in.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    CUSTOMER SERVICE, not service.

Agreed.

DSL is a cheap way to offer broadband to the masses, until fiber optics really kicks in.

Only kicker with dsl at least with att is you need a labs line.

There is very little fiber out there... At least not a much as people think. In the Indy and greater Indy area there is a few newer subdivisions that have it and a few apartment complexes that have it.

I can't tell you how many people tell me they have fiber only to tell them try dont.

It is ubber expensive... Not to mention the fiber houses and apartments only have fiber to the side of the house then it goes to cat5... I don't know of any residential stuff that is 100% fiber.

I'd say 98% of the area does not even have fiber ran.... To run it in already build neighborhoods would mean tearing up people's yards to run it not to mentions most homes are not even cat5.

Many new neighborhoods still being built that are not fiber.

Will it be huge one day? Probably but not anytime even remotely soon.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    2052769882.png

What do I win?

2052773521.png

Uverse 12 Mbps service at home, ~$35. Switched from comcast and while comcast can provide more raw speed, Uverse wins in latency, consistency, and price.

Top Bottom