• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Gas City, IN
    Im thinking of moving out to the country side and was wondering what everybody used. I have been in town for many years and have grown used to using cable internet. Any help would be appreciated!!!:popcorn:

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    depends where you are/whats available. I live about 16-17 miles from the nearest town and i have high speed fiber optic where i live that rivals most cable internet speeds or is even faster.

PhilDeez

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    If no other landline, cable, or radio style internet is available dish network offers a satellite internet. it's about 50 bucks a month for 10 gigs, and is pretty good. You can't stream netflix or anything though.

z96Cobra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Southeast Indiana
    I live in the sticks and my only options were dial-up, cellular, or satellite. I had Wild Blue for a few years and it wasn't too bad for surfing or watching YouTube, but losing service during heavy rain/snow sucked & gaming was out of the question. Next I tried cellular with a mifi hotspot. It was fast enough for streaming but you can blow through the 5gb monthly allowance in no time. Now I'm back to satellite with WildBlue/ViaSat. It's their new "Exede" service that they claim 12Mbps speeds. I usually get 18-20Mbps down and 1-2Mbps up.

I got my service through an REMC because you get 10GB monthly allowance for $55. They have other plans too, or you can buy an extra GB at a time for $10 (if you need extra every now and then). They also have "Late Night Free Zone", all you can "eat" between midnight and 5AM for free. I'm a night owl, so it works great for me. Netflix streams fine & YouTube doesn't buffer in the middle of a 1080p HD clip. Latency still sucks, so gaming is out. I'd love to have fiber, it's 2 miles up the road, but I'll stick with Exede until something better comes along.

Top Bottom