• ...and so much more!
  • revolvers&w

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Albany
    CAUTION:Potential rantage..

I was just replying to a post about this weekends gun show in Louisville.
    I mentioned the cost of having your firearms purchase transferred to Indiana which brought to mind the question.Why is this in practice and what does it accomplish? I can load myself and my vehicle down with as many firearms as I can carry. I can drive back and forth across the bridge as many times as I like or untill I am tired of sitting in traffic. But if I purchase another weapon in another state the government doesn't allow me (or most of you) to bring it home. though the day I pick it up in Indiana I can immediately commence to crossing the exact state line at my leisure.
    I suppose it is tied to Brady.Is there any hope that it will be changed?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Only handguns must be transferred back home. If you buy a long gun in KY you can take it home with you. You must buy from an FFL for that to work though. You, as a resident of IN can buy a long gun in any state so long as that state's laws allow it. Federal law prohibits handguns from being transferred to a non-licensee who is not a resident of that state.

Don't see this being changed anytime soon, as states have so many differing laws on handgun purchases.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why is this in practice and what does it accomplish?

1968 Gun Control Act, Senators Dodd (father of the current one) and Kennedy.

NRA attempted to substitute an affidavit so people could buy across state lines and then decades later was blamed for the GCA.:rolleyes:

The purpose of the GCA was to control African Americans and prevent them from traveling to less restrictive states than Massachusetts, New York or cities such as Chicago.

Is there any hope that it will be changed?

Yes, the NRA has been attempting to modify this for many years now.

Here is the latest effort:

Hatch, Begich Support Second Amendment Rights - Press Releases - United States Senator Orrin Hatch

SayUncle » Bringing firearms sales into the 20th Century

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Learned Brethen:

Judge_Learned_Hand.jpg

Judge Learned Hand, before the days of eyebrow scissors.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I think it's stupid, that I can't go to Ky and buy from an individual if I want to.... as long as I'm not a felon, and he's not a felon, besides it's nobody's business!

Top Bottom