• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dpj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Can I not sell a handgun to someone in another state? I read that the sale of a handgun interstate is under Federal law and Federal law bans it unless it goes through a FFA. However, I talked to a few other guys and they said because its a private sell its all good. Anyone know for sure? Google'in it has conflicting info.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Even the FFA has to go through an FFL. ;)

Private transfers are legal for same-state residents only.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Can I not sell a handgun to someone in another state? I read that the sale of a handgun interstate is under Federal law and Federal law bans it unless it goes through a FFA. However, I talked to a few other guys and they said because its a private sell its all good. Anyone know for sure? Google'in it has conflicting info.

I assume you mean a FFL not FFA.

Yes, you must go through a licensed dealer IN THE STATE WHERE THE GUN IS BEING RECEIVED.

So if you are an Indiana resident and you want to sell any gun (not just a handgun) to a resident in Illinois, Ohio, etc then you must ship or somehow deliver the gun to the buyer's FFL dealer.

Some FFL dealers only accept guns from another FFL dealer so you need to check with the buyers FFL dealer. If that is his rule then you need to have the buyer find another FFL dealer that will accept the gun from you -or- you have to go to an Indiana FFL dealer and have him ship the gun to the out of state FFL dealer.

All guns transferring ownership across state lines must go through FFL dealers. This includes gift guns to family members, sales to friends, etc.

Private transfers are legal for same-state residents only.
    This is true for most states. Indiana is one of those states. There are some states that forbid private transfers. It pays to know your own state laws.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Seems like threr maybe some kinda loophole at gun shows.

71, are you trying to give me an ulcer?:D

No, there is no loophole at a gun show. A gun show is not some law free zone--federal law still applies, no matter what the Bradities and the Media tell you. If gun shows were law-free zones, all my income would be accepted at gun shows.

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    Not surprising...

I talked to a couple of FFL's recently that gave conflicting answers to a similar scenario... out-of-state resident visiting Indiana, wants to buy a weapon...

One FFL stated that the sale would have to be thru a dealer in the buyers resident state, then shipped to a dealer in Indiana to take possession.

The other FFL stated that the 'visitor' could only purchase and take possession of weapons in their state of residence, no shipping/possession anywhere else.

My personal feeling is that if you can pass the background check, where your standing should be irrelevant.

Top Bottom