• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    A lot of you know about my website at twoamendments.com by now. Recently I put together a little comparison engine for personal use to compare cost per round in different calibers at a couple of vendors I use frequently.

I'm sharing this publicly now in case anyone else can get some use from it. it's not nearly as full featured as something like GunBot, but it works well for me as I desire to shop with the same vendors, not to mention it has a much better interface and is quickly filterable.

I do not profit from anything here, I don't even run ads on my site yet. This is all for public benefit.

Check it out and please share any feedback that you may have
    AmmoScan - TwoAmendments.com

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    looks kind of interesting. I just checked the 45 prvi. Why do you link 10+ prices to your single box price when the case lot price is also listed in your spread? I know it's only a dollar higher than you are showing but sometimes I only want a couple of boxes.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    In just skimming over the 9mm page I noticed that some of the information is inaccurate. I am sure it was just oversight, but for example, the 9mm Hydra shock from PSA states that it is $.34/ round. I wish that were the case, but it is only a box of 20. Other than that, it looks pretty useful!

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    looks kind of interesting. I just checked the 45 prvi. Why do you link 10+ prices to your single box price when the case lot price is also listed in your spread? I know it's only a dollar higher than you are showing but sometimes I only want a couple of boxes.

Why: technical difficulty. The markup (code) that the tool is using to detect those things changes from time to time due to inconsistencies on the vendor end. I can probably improve that in a future addition.

Why I didn't see it as a problem: Because I'm of the opinion that buying online isn't worth the shipping cost unless you're buying in bulk. :yesway:

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    In just skimming over the 9mm page I noticed that some of the information is inaccurate. I am sure it was just oversight, but for example, the 9mm Hydra shock from PSA states that it is $.34/ round. I wish that were the case, but it is only a box of 20. Other than that, it looks pretty useful!

Yeah that can be a problem too...sometimes they don't indicate how many rounds in the product title. I need to make the data scraper a little more intelligent.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Eh -
    I checked it out and I've looked through a bunch of those ammo finding sites.
    They're all the same.

The prices are just too high.. :(

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A cool feature to add on would be shipping costs and how it affects the price per round. Those shipping costs can vary widely.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Minor update. Several calibers added due to popular demand. The list of added calibers is as follows:

.380 auto (ACP)
    .38 spl
    .357 mag
    .44 mag
    .300 BLK (AAC Blackout)
    7.62x54R
    7.62x51 (308 win)

More will be added in the future :yesway:

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy

This has been addressed. It was caused by AmmoScan defaulting to a box of 50 (quantity) since it wasn't indicated in the product title/description, but on the detail page. Quantity detection will now just assume 0 if quantity isn't found in the product description.

Having a quantity of 0 removes the listing from AmmoScan but a lack of data is better than inaccurate data.

paulh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Evansville
    Would be nice to do a scan not only caliber but once you got to the caliber by category such as price,number of rounds, etc. Nice bot so far

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Would be nice to do a scan not only caliber but once you got to the caliber by category such as price,number of rounds, etc. Nice bot so far

You can. Click the column heading and it will sort.

Would love to see 6.5 Grendel on there too!

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy

Like aclark said, you can not only filter by typing in the search box (e.g. 'jhp' or 'fmj') but you can also sort any column by clicking the column header.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I would like .32 ACP/7.65 Browning. The .32 is as much fun as a .22. The gun writers has bad mouthed it for years so most younger shooters thinks it is a junk round. If you think for yourself look up what the boys of Wild Bill Donavon used more than the .45 ACP.

Top Bottom