• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kbowers9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Salem
    I'm looking to make my first .308 purchase. I'm just looking for something to strictly target shoot with. I really don't want to invest too much into this project. I have looked into several different rifles and to conserve cash on this exploration i have decided to purchase a break-action. I was just looking to see if anyone had any personal opinions on these lower cost single shot rifles. I have narrowed it down to the H&R Handi Rifle or a Rossi Wizard. Please feel free to put in your opinion and tell me if i'm headed down the wrong path and should explore some other rifles.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    If you want accuracy you want a bolt action. If the break action doesn't lock up the same every time your screwed.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If we can't talk you out of a break action, take the Handi out of those two options.

If you'd consider a bolt action, the savage edge is getting great reviews, $350 scoped brand new. That's what you'd have in a H&R handi rifle with a scope anyway.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    ditch the break barrel idea. to get one that will give you great accuracy you will be out of your price range. look into a stevens. if you want to turn it into a varmint rifle or similar in the future it will be real easy.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    T/C encore. Pay once cry once and cry less on each and every barrel you purchase. The frames lock up tight enough to run with any bolt action.

Handi rifles have fairly stiff triggers.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Id explore the Savage option first, the guns might not be very high in build quality, but there great shooters on the cheap. The break barrel guns would be fine unless your looking for something thats really pinpoint accurate. But if all you want is to hit soda cans at a hundred yards then you dont need anything fancy.

My biggest problem with break barrels is the lack of any aftermarket doohickeys. If you start with a basic Savage as time and money allows you can build that sucker into the ultimate dream rifle. But the break barrels are pretty much all they will ever be. Not a really big deal, but I like to play around with my rifles and the availability for Savage stuff is second to the AR-15 and 10/22 crowd. But again id stick with a Savage because its a good cheap shooter out of the box, or I know TC has a decent budget rifle that is getting some good reviews.
    VENTURE® - Thompson/Center

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    If we can't talk you out of a break action, take the Handi out of those two options.

If you'd consider a bolt action, the savage edge is getting great reviews, $350 scoped brand new. That's what you'd have in a H&R handi rifle with a scope anyway.

:+1:

A lot of options with Savage around the $300 mark

Kbowers9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Salem
    Thanks for the help guys. I will definitely walk away from the single shot idea. I have looked into the savages and found that they have very comparable prices. I'm also gonna need some help with the scope on this one since I have about zero experience with scopes. The only scopes I've ever used have been on .22's. I usually shoot pistols so your help with the entry into rifles is greatly appreciated.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Regarding scopes:
    If you go with the savage/stevens 200; then you're looking at this as a high value budget setup and I'd take a hard look at the Burris fullfield II series scopes with the ballistic plex reticle. You can buy them used on ebay or new for less than $150 easy, maybe less than $100. It's a decent scope and I have a couple that I really like. Makes shooting longer distances a no brainer with the ballistic plex. Keep in mind that your talking about a 308 and you may as well get it setup with a scope that allows you to use more of the potential of the 308. I've got a burris 2-7x & 3-9x both with ballistic plex and I like them alot.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    If you want accuracy you want a bolt action. If the break action doesn't lock up the same every time your screwed.

I have no experience with a break action, but I strongly disagree that a bolt action is the only way to get accuracy.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    My :twocents::

Every time that I buy the "cheaper" of two guns I end up unhappy later on and go back to buy what I knew in the first place was the better weapon. Decide what it is that you really want and aggressively save up to buy that platform.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    My :twocents::

Every time that I buy the "cheaper" of two guns I end up unhappy later on and go back to buy what I knew in the first place was the better weapon. Decide what it is that you really want and aggressively save up to buy that platform.

Thats the first thing,that went through my mind.

Like you said its an investment, get what you want and can afford. Go with your friends and shoot a few,then decide. I will never sell the first .308 I bought,it will go to my Grandson,when,I die. Hopefully he will injoy it as much as I have. Its doubled in price since i bought it, on an investment point.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The only guns I have that are off limits to sell are ones I've taken game with. The Encore 30-06 that I took my first two deer with is a keep only because of that. I don't shoot it anymore and it's no longer one of my favorites, but it's a part of my hunting history now.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    The first thing you have to figure out is how far are you gonna shoot? If your not going past 100 yds get the handi rifle, put a low $ scope on it and be done. It will be minute of kill zone on a deer for sure. If you want to shoot 200-300 or more, bolt gun no doubt. Spend more money on glass, say a BDC scope or one with target knobs like a Millett. You could do a semi-auto with decent accuracy but they can be pricey.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I have no experience with a break action, but I strongly disagree that a bolt action is the only way to get accuracy.

I guess I should have been more clear. I meant to say the way to get accuracy at low cost is bolt action. I know that there are really good shooting semi autos like AR's and Dakota makes a break action that is really sweet but if you in the price range of a Handi, you're not buying either of those.

Kbowers9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Salem
    I guess I need to clear up a few things. I'm not wanting to limit myself too much, but since I won't be shooting this gun in competition or for hunting I really don't feel like dropping a lot of cash. I just want to become more comfortable with long range shooting and eventually throw down some real money on a high quality rifle and scope. I thank you all for your opinions and it has all been very helpful. I will keep all of these suggestions in mind when making this purchase and hopefully put together a pretty good setup while using a low budget.

latj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    I also like Savage for reasonably priced accurate rifles. I have an American Classic in 7mm and a BTV in .17HMR and I love them both!

Top Bottom