• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    After the last AK build party I got the bug again and ordered some more parts. in the process of buying stuff I tripped over a new/blem barrel and trunnion combo for $80-ish by IO Inc. I know IO Inc isn't known for quality, but I thought the price is right, screw it, and bought it. Now I need to pick up a BCG and a few other parts if I'm to actually build it up. I got to wondering if their stuff is really that bad. They have a 50$ bolt and 50$ carrier on Royal Tiger ( along with 25$ front trunnions, 12$ rear trunnions) and I'm wondering If I should change courses and buy a commie BCG. Has anyone ever built on their front trunnions, am I in for trouble from the start? I'm looking for purely a shooter on this. Just not sure If I should spend more money on IO Inc parts. Any help appreciated!

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    The problems I know about IO are build-related. If you do it yourself, you should be fine. An exception is a BCG slamming against the rear trunnion. That could be a weak spring (part-issue) or more likely, a gas hole drilled too large (build-issue).

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Ehhhh.... pretty sure there investment casted parts which have been noted to be soft and/deform "they just started a new line built on forge parts if that tells you anything"

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Well.... I guess I'll build it and just see what happens. Maybe I will be lucky and all will be fine. Thanks for the reply!

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Ammo choice is factor as well we all know stuff like that yugo surplus is hot stuff and most of these failures related to IO guns are due to poor headspacing and over gasing .... and i believe that is a strong contributor to why these guns have been tearing off bolt and trunnion lugs and deforming parts. However i do believe built and gassed properly i doubt you'll see any ill effects

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    It'll eat mostly Russian/wolf ammo. I'll probably just watch it for wear. Its basically gonna be a parts gun, so my goal was to keep it cheap, but I guess that's what you get when you buy cheap sometimes. Never know though, might be fine. Headspace will be set probably tighter than the factory would have. As for it being over gassed, kinda at their mercy their as the gas hole has been drilled. They had to have some decent parts right? I was hoping (sorta) that this would be the last one to use up random spare parts. A Romy RPK has my attention though so we will see.
    On a side note, I was debating a bright gold sparkly bass boat kinda paint job. Kinda like it was found in some afghan cave or something. It would attract attention and look ridiculous at the range.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    You mean a Khyber Pass! love those crazy oddballs .... headspace on a few have been noted has been too loose right out of the box and that likely playing a big factor.... there was a video akguy made about a visit to the IO plant in Flordia.. He noted FTF problems with several of the demo guns most likely due to loose headspacing.... they also show that they rivet wrong, they are bucking the rivet against the barrel and we all know that doesnt leave the greatest result......

however most of IO issues are avoidable i do think they trunnion being cast would be fine if was set in spec and spacing is set properly.... when you set it loose as many are your asking those parts to put up with far more abuse than they were designed to handle (and bad things happen)

Top Bottom