• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Ben Carson's campaign put out information that Ben Carson was going back to Florida Monday night, just as the caucuses start, and would not be in NH and SC.

CNN reports this, and tweets it out as well:

BREAKING: @moody has learned @realbencarson will return to FL following #IAcaucus, will not go to either NH or SC https://t.co/jl8NOY9KEx
    — The Lead CNN (@TheLeadCNN) February 2, 2016

Numerous people pick up on this, interpret it as Carson is dropping out and tweet about it. Marco Rubio supporter tweets that the Rubio campaign is pushing message that it looks like Carson is out, voters should move to Rubio. Yes Rubio. Cruz campaign picked up on it as well.

Carson campaign catches on, says wait a minute, he's just going home for a change of clothes. (What!? -- he can't have them shipped to him? Sure...)

Carson goes on tear about ethics and responsibility for campaigners, Cruz apologizes for his campaign's error, but Carson continues complaining.

However, when Carson is asked if he has any responsibility for the information his campaign put out that started the whole affair:

Reporter: Do you regret, uh, announcing that that you were going to be going back to Florida and spurring some of this confusion?
    Carson: Well, I didn’t make that announcement. Uh, I guess somebody talked to … other people…
    Reporter: Well, your campaign told the press.
    Carson: You know, *I* didn’t say it, so don’t blame me. [laughing]
    Reporter: But you’re here telling us that people should know what’s going on in their campaign and hold people accountable, I mean that’s [crosstalk]
    Carson: Well, let me ask you this question, is it okay after being on the road for after three weeks to go home to Florida and get a fresh change of clothes? Or is that a problem? Does that make someone into an evil, horrible person?
    Ben Carson Gets Hoisted on His Own Petard, and it Isn't Pretty (VIDEO) | RedState

Hey, it wasn't me, it was some staffer!
    Sure Ben.

ETA: A timeline: http://www.trevorloudon.com/2016/02...ble-for-ben-carson-campaign-suspension-rumor/

The best part of this is that Cruz apparently coined an excellent new word: Trumpertantrum.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Btw, if you actually want to learn something about Ted Cruz and how he operates, Erica Grieder at Texas Monthly has been following him for some time, and predicted as early as last November that Cruz would win in Iowa. Texas Monthly is not what you would call a bastion of conservative support in Texas, so it's interesting to read this perspective.

Two articles worth starting with:

How Ted Cruz Won Iowa

The Field Guide to Ted Cruz

These do not make up a complete compendium of his career, but the Field Guide especially gives some interesting insight to why and how he operates.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Btw, if you actually want to learn something about Ted Cruz and how he operates, Erica Grieder at Texas Monthly has been following him for some time, and predicted as early as last November that Cruz would win in Iowa. Texas Monthly is not what you would call a bastion of conservative support in Texas, so it's interesting to read this perspective.

Two articles worth starting with:

How Ted Cruz Won Iowa

The Field Guide to Ted Cruz

These do not make up a complete compendium of his career, but the Field Guide especially gives some interesting insight to why and how he operates.

:yesway:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Hmmm...interesting. Based on this info, evil Cruz apologized for something he really didn't need to.

Ben Carson's campaign put out information that Ben Carson was going back to Florida Monday night, just as the caucuses start, and would not be in NH and SC.

CNN reports this, and tweets it out as well:

Numerous people pick up on this, interpret it as Carson is dropping out and tweet about it. Marco Rubio supporter tweets that the Rubio campaign is pushing message that it looks like Carson is out, voters should move to Rubio. Yes Rubio. Cruz campaign picked up on it as well.

Carson campaign catches on, says wait a minute, he's just going home for a change of clothes. (What!? -- he can't have them shipped to him? Sure...)

Carson goes on tear about ethics and responsibility for campaigners, Cruz apologizes for his campaign's error, but Carson continues complaining.

However, when Carson is asked if he has any responsibility for the information his campaign put out that started the whole affair:

Ben Carson Gets Hoisted on His Own Petard, and it Isn't Pretty (VIDEO) | RedState

Hey, it wasn't me, it was some staffer!
    Sure Ben.

ETA: A timeline: Trevor Loudon's New Zeal Blog » UPDATES: CNN, NOT Cruz staff, responsible for Ben Carson campaign suspension ?rumor?

The best part of this is that Cruz apparently coined an excellent new word: Trumpertantrum.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I saw Brit Hume talking about the CNN report last night. He said that all of them took it as meaning Carson was dropping out as well. So it does look like it is much ado about nothing.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I saw Brit Hume talking about the CNN report last night. He said that all of them took it as meaning Carson was dropping out as well. So it does look like it is much ado about nothing.

Certainly Cruz's campaign's actions regarding all of this is but Carson's, Trump's, and the media's Jerry Springer style handling of this is concerning.

MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    I think it is typical. If the media can splash muck on a R candidate they will. They just keep filling the boat until the pumps can't keep up and then sink the candidate. Later down the road these "scandals" will resurface and be reported in a way to further challenge credibility. You see it every four years in TECHNICOLOR these days....

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Carson is not going to take Trump's money. For whatever faults he has, that's not one of them.

Time will tell. Who'd a thought he'd basically lie about Cruz knowing full well he made the remarks he made about going home instead of going to NH? As his campaign continues to wilt and he starts spending more than what he can generate donations for, he might need a little help...and I'm sure the Donald will pay well for whatever support Carson has remaining when that time comes. Let's just watch and see.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Time will tell. Who'd a thought he'd basically lie about Cruz knowing full well he made the remarks he made about going home instead of going to NH? As his campaign continues to wilt and he starts spending more than what he can generate donations for, he might need a little help...and I'm sure the Donald will pay well for whatever support Carson has remaining when that time comes. Let's just watch and see.

IF, he is lying, why would anyone support him ?????

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Can you imagine what he would be like on the range?

Slower than molasses on a cold day. Very precise, but each shot would be meticulous.

Ok, I get that surgeon general, didn't think of that ..... Good Idea .....

Why take the pay cut for a figurehead position? He's already head of surgery. :D

And back to the letter. I get that Cruz is a jerk alot of the time. He's kinda the counter-GWB like that. Bush was probably TOO nice, too often.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What to watch for:

CaX8JhvWcAAnmiI.jpg:large

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    We have had less than 50 presidents under the current constitution; and many of those under wildly different times. There is not a significant enough sample size to do anything but speculate to burn up air time.

Is it just a coincidence? I don't think so. It's no secret that Iowa Republicans are more conservative than your average republican.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Can you imagine what he would be like on the range?

I could be wrong but I kinda doubt Carson would even shoot a gun. He'd probably be pretty good at it though.

The thing that makes him a top surgeon is not just hand/eye coordination. It's his spacial awareness and retention as well. I've read other surgeons who've worked with him explain that he has a remarkable ability to visualize in detail the components he's operating on in his head. He practiced every surgery in his head several times before he actually performed them.

And as much as I admire him for what he's accomplished, he just ain't got it to be prez.

Top Bottom