• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Or, we could ask them to judge for themselves what their defense requirements.
    Driving down the road, you need to see things coming up.
    If you are just blind enough to be legally blind, and your defense requirements are all up close, such as in your house.......

As Kirk pointed out upthread, "legally blind" is defined as vision not correctable to 20/200. For those who don't know, 20/200 means you see at 20 feet what someone else sees at 200, in other words, very nearsighted. Most self-defense encounters, I learned here on INGO, happen at less than 10 feet of distance (it was less than that, but I forget how much less) So... by saying that the "legally blind" cannot carry or even possess a firearm, you're saying they have no right to effective self defense, despite the fact that their disability doesn't detract from their ability in that sense.

This is the "There oughta be a law!" argument: When something just seems wrong to a person, and that person alone doesn't have the power to force everyone else to his/her way of thinking, that person wants a law passed, using government's ability to force behaviors from people who don't want to do them, at gunpoint if necessary. Actaeon said it most recently; someone else said it upthread, let them decide for themselves and if they make a poor choice and injure someone who should not be injured, hold them responsible for their actions. This should apply to everyone: blind, deaf, mute, of full abilities, LEO, non-LEO, rich man, poor man, begger man, doctor, lawyer, or Indian chief. And yes, I left out thief. That implies a criminal who continues to commit crimes.

What an idea! Let people who know themselves better than anyone else knows them make their own decisions regarding their own lives!

Blessings,
    Bill

I was agreeing with you. Driving is different than self defense. Legally blind is not blind.

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    MTC ( Grammar may not be right but if you had some common sense then you would have figured it out ) !

IndianaLead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    I must say I've really enjoyed this thread so far. If you would have asked me yesterday whether a "blind" person should be issued a carry permit, I have to confess I would have fallen right into the trap of saying, "What!? Of course not! Don't be ridiculous." Now that I've had some time to think about it, though, and read the postings above of course, I have to admit that there's no legitimate argument against it and it actually makes good sense not to limit anyone's rights based on any preconceived notions of their capabilities. Thanks for the redirect, folks. -Bryan @ Indiana Lead

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I've always heard the term "legally blind" does not mean totally blind. I wouldn't have a problem with it. There are people without vision problems that obviously can't see clear so why shouldn't the legally blind be allowed to defend themselves.

Top Bottom