• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newguyjosh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Can someone provide info on what the difference between these two events are? My buddy and I are wanting to get into some shooting competitions. Neither of us will really be able to compete with the good shooters but it sounds fun. Also, we are in Muncie, where is the nearest place we can get into something like this? Do they do training sessions?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I don't shoot either but . . .

IDPA seems to be a simulation of reasonable defensive shooting using stock or slightly modified guns.

USPSA appears to be an all out competition game that generally seems to take things to a volume level of 11.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Well if thats the case IDPA would probably be our preference. So where do we go to get started near Muncie?

you should probably wait for some feedback from the guys who actually shoot both matches.

:twocents:

I joined both IDPA and USPSA last year. IDPA is a little slower, more deliberate competition, where you wear a vest, shoot from behind cover. I watched a match once and almost fell asleep.

USPSA is more movement and a little faster paced and a helluva lot of fun. There are several different divisions for the various guns people shoot and a lot of different skill and age levels. We don't pretend the have people shooting back at us, we play the game.

Video of a match we shot on Sunday

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZtyis8g0qQ]YouTube - July USPSA match at WVPPS[/ame]

I'm the fatty in green ;)

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    IDPA video

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JCKw9S5AeM]YouTube - Shooting competition IDPA match Orlando Florida 10/07/07[/ame]

you can find TONS of videos of both on youtube

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I don't shoot either but . . .

IDPA seems to be a simulation of reasonable defensive shooting using stock or slightly modified guns.

USPSA appears to be an all out competition game that generally seems to take things to a volume level of 11.

I really don't find that to be the case. I find USPSA to actually be a better prep for real world weapon use in many ways. IDPA tells you how you have to shoot the course, when you have to reload, what kind of reloads to make, etc. USPSA, you have to decide all these things for yourself, and are free to modify your plan mid-stream if you need to. The only thing that would make it better (and perhaps even more fun) would be if you didn't get to do a walk through before shooting. Heck, it would be interesting to see how folks would handle a course if they didn't even get to see it beforehand...

Both are lots of fun.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I really don't find that to be the case. I find USPSA to actually be a better prep for real world weapon use in many ways. IDPA tells you how you have to shoot the course, when you have to reload, what kind of reloads to make, etc. USPSA, you have to decide all these things for yourself, and are free to modify your plan mid-stream if you need to. The only thing that would make it better (and perhaps even more fun) would be if you didn't get to do a walk through before shooting. Heck, it would be interesting to see how folks would handle a course if they didn't even get to see it beforehand...

Both are lots of fun.

If it is a well planed out stage you are learning skills that you could use in real world stuff..
    If you are a new shooter you would have no idea what to do when or how..

Both are fun, IDPA has a little more movment..
    Lafayette & Atlanta are probably the closest to Muncie..

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Can someone provide info on what the difference between these two events are? My buddy and I are wanting to get into some shooting competitions. Neither of us will really be able to compete with the good shooters but it sounds fun. Also, we are in Muncie, where is the nearest place we can get into something like this? Do they do training sessions?

The two are a lot more alike than different. How much fun either is depends more on the people doing it with you than the sport.

In general, IDPA rules are significantly more restrictive and there is very little decision making available since the rules and many courses of fire dictate how you have to do it without incurring penalties. Courses of fire are shorter both in number of rounds and the distance you may need to move.

USPSA grants you more freedom to do things the way you want. As long as you adhere to the safety rules, there nothing you can/will/must do in IDPA that you can't also do in USPSA is you so choose. You also have a lot more freedom in how you solve the shooting problem posed to you, so thinking and adapting are more necessary. There is also a greater variety of course of fire. You will typically encounter one stage with little or no movement to gauge your pure shooting skills, but you also have a few stages that have more movement and shots fired than two IDPA stages combined.

Which is more "realistic" is a non-issue and an almost silly question in this context. Both are games. Both can be used as training tools with the right intent if the participant chooses to avail themself of the opportunity.

newguyjosh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Do you know if they offer like practice courses or training where they teach someone the rules/how to shoot these events or do you just have to show up for a competition and figure it out?

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I shoot IDPA. It's a riot! You'll love it or USPSA. Atlanta Conservation Club is having an open house where you will be able to shoot IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge and more! It's free, on July 31st. That should tell you whether or not you will like it! There's a thread on here about it if you want more info.

What kind of handgun would you be using?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Do you know if they offer like practice courses or training where they teach someone the rules/how to shoot these events or do you just have to show up for a competition and figure it out?

Contact the ACT folks in the site advertiser forums. They can hook you up.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I shoot both. I much prefer USPSA. I agree that IDPA is boring. I hate the rules.

At the most recent IDPA match I shot, 16 procedurals were issued to all of the competitors. I earned 5 of them. I hate the silly rules and I always seem to forget them.

I enjoy shooting on the clock so I shoot whatever will have me.

It is also a myth that one needs a fancy gun to shoot USPSA. Every IDPA legal gun is allowed in USPSA, and most all of them are competitive. USPSA requires more equipment, but equipment won't get you to the top of the match scores.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Adaptive Consulting and Training has a one-day class that is exactly what you describe. It is geared primarily toward USPSA (and the lecture portion will focus on USPSA rules), but if you enroll in the class I will gladly assist Coach and broaden the scope to encompass IDPA as well.

Adaptive Consulting & Training

We also have an instructional league that usually meets twice a month at different locations. The league is operated like a USPSA match, but you get to try each of the stages/drills twice. The first time you'll get some hints on how to approach the stage, then before the second we'll critique your performance and offer suggestions how you might improve on the second try. Many of our students have made excellent, sometimes dramatic progress, through this program. Plus, it's a lot of fun.

Ultimately, as was mentioned, why bother limiting yourself to one or the other? Any gear that is within IDPA rules may also be used in USPSA, although you may need a few more magazines, so you can use the same gun, holster, etc. for both.

newguyjosh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I shoot IDPA. It's a riot! You'll love it or USPSA. Atlanta Conservation Club is having an open house where you will be able to shoot IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge and more! It's free, on July 31st. That should tell you whether or not you will like it! There's a thread on here about it if you want more info.

I'm having a hard time finding a thread on it. I found one discusing an open house back in the fall but nothing for July? I did see it listed on the ACC website but it didnt seem to ahve a lot of info about it.

Top Bottom