• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I was talking to a friend the other day about our iPhones and we were able to share different tips and tricks that the other didn't know and we've both had them for 2 years or better. I'm not an ap junkie so my knowledge is pretty limited so I'm hoping to learn some cool stuff here. If you've found a useful ap please share. Here's the few things I've learned.

Double tap the space bar at the end of a sentence and it will put a period there. You may have to go to settings/general/keyboard to turn that on.

Apple ap called Remote. It will allow you to use your phone as a remote for iTunes on your desktop. This will be huge when I finish my whole house sound setup.

Double click the bottom button and it will show your aps on the bottom of your screen while leaving your current ap open. You scroll side to side to show them all. I guess you can shut certain aps off in the background instead of having them run all the time. I think this only works on the 3GS and 4g.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I use the Surefire Shot Timer app every time I go to the range.

Other than that, jailbreak it, unlock it, and use T-Mobile:D

ETA: Press the top bar to scroll to the top of the page automatically.
    Press the sleep and home buttons at the same time to take a screen shot.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

I wouldn't have a clue in how to jailbreak or unlock it and not interested in learning how. I'm a maintenance man and enjoy working on stuff but I hate messing with software. I want to turn on my phone or computer and it work, not constantly mess with it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Anybody know of a way to keep mobile versions of sites from loading? I find that mobile versions are usually harder to deal with than full. eBay is the best example. I can read ingo on here just fine without zooming in on it.

cyberwild360

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    One thing you can try is get on Safari, and get onto the full web page. After you login, press the plus sign at the bottom of the page and press "add to home screen". It will put an icon on your homescreen which make it easier for you for websites you visit often.

If you have multiple apps of a similiar nature (i.e games) if you hold one of the app buttons down for three seconds you can drag it around. If you drag it and put it on top of say another game it will create a folder of games. You can use it for your banks too - if you have more than one bank app.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Anybody know of a way to keep mobile versions of sites from loading? I find that mobile versions are usually harder to deal with than full. eBay is the best example. I can read ingo on here just fine without zooming in on it.

Umm, do you have the eBay application? That app is outstanding, by the way.

Yeah, Apple Remote is really cool for playing the music in your iTunes library, wirelessly, (by way of Apple's Airport wi-fi router) through your stereo, etc. Plus, you can allow your friends with iPhones to select and play your iTunes music when they're over visiting. The range of Apple Remote is the range of your wi-fi signal -- typically, anywhere in your house, front yard, back yard, garage, driveway, etc. Cool.

Most of the other good apps, I guess, are fairly obvious; I won't start listing them. I'm a heavy news app user... I can't think of any of them that just suck (functionally, that is), that you should stay away from.

As far as the phone itself, I love that I can continue with a phone conversation while accessing an app or surfing, and then seamlessly return to the phone call.

OK, that's all I got for now. :D

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Another one I didn't know about before. If you hit the power and home button at the same time, it will give you a screen shot and store it in your photo album.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Oh, one other thing to be aware of with any phone or camera that has "location services" enabled: this feature will store information about the location (accurate to within several hundred feet) of each of your images in an EXIF file which is part of the image file. This EXIF data can be read by anyone.

Anytime you post those photos online, you could also be, in essence, posting the coordinates to your home, work, etc. It's a good idea to be conscious of this when taking photos of your family, gun collection, home... you get the idea.

You can either strip the EXIF data from your image files before posting them, or you can simply turn off "location services" in your phone/camera settings. My location services are turned off, selectively, for just my phone's camera. This is a good precaution, I think, without going overboard and disabling location services for all of my apps, etc.

It's worth mentioning that Facebook automatically strips the EXIF data from images uploaded to their site. They do this to help protect the privacy and safety of their users, many of whom wouldn't think of this before innocently posting photos of their loved ones.

There is a recent CNN article that addresses this whole issue of location information embedded in photos snapped with smart phones, etc..

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I just tried the eBay app and it seems pretty cool so far. The mobile site version takes forever to navigate listings.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010

ETA: Press the top bar to scroll to the top of the page automatically.
    Press the sleep and home buttons at the same time to take a screen shot.

I agree, that screen shot trick is cool. Thanks, magic man.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    if you do the double click home button to show apps, if you swipe to the right, it will always bring up iPod controls.

Apps I love:

Gallery (only good if you have a MobileMe acount)
    iDisk (also only good if you have MobileMe)
    Flight Control
    Tetris
    Words With Friends (free)
    ESPN
    Weather Channel
    Netflix
    Loopt

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Is there a way to pull up the address bar and refresh button without scrolling to the top? It would be handy while reading a busy thread. You could see the last post, hit refresh and immediately begin reading new posts. Now, I usually use the back button and go to the first new post arrow.

Speaking of hitting the first new post arrow on an ingo thread, it doesn't always go to the first new post. Several times, it will go to the first new post from opening that thread 3-4 times ago. I have the same problem with the back button taking me to the sub forum thread order from awhile back, not the most recent. I didn't have this problem on my 3G, just the 4G. Ont the 3G, it always reloaded the page, not just went back like the back button on a desk top browser. Is there something on here I can change to make this phone reload every time?

robbran144

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    southside/greenwood
    if you do alot of ebay, i use the paypal app alot....another one you might download and check out, i think it was free is iphone tips and tricks might be .99 i dont remember

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    On this forum, you can't use the apps, but some forums use apps like Forum runner, which works quite well. The board admin has to instal the software for it though, and I'm pretty sure that won't happen here. (it's been asked)

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    if you do alot of ebay, i use the paypal app alot....another one you might download and check out, i think it was free is iphone tips and tricks might be .99 i dont remember

I think this is it. Looks cool; I'm installing it now. Thanks!

And yes, there's a lite version for free, and the full version for .99

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I have been using pixelpipe app alot lately. I can upload my videos from my phone right to YouTube. I have to open YouTube in safari to copy links to post here, but it works really well.
    Jail breaking is really easy! Jailbreakme.com it might be .net, from your phone. You don't even need a computer.:)

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Jail breaking is really easy! Jailbreakme.com it might be .net, from your phone. You don't even need a computer.:)

I wouldn't have a clue in how to jailbreak or unlock it and not interested in learning how. I'm a maintenance man and enjoy working on stuff but I hate messing with software. I want to turn on my phone or computer and it work, not constantly mess with it.
    WARNING!!
    JAILBREAKING DOES VOID THE WARRANTY.
    However, there are workarounds for this.

Does jailbreak void warranty? - MacRumors Forums

Choose wisely....

Top Bottom