• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • futureofwar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bunker Hill
    "A high-ranking Iranian official has said Iran's military will practice sealing off the Strait of Hormuz, the world’s most important oil transport channel, in a provocative move that illustrates Iran’s capability of disrupting the world’s oil supply."

Read more: Iranian Official Threatens Military Drill Sealing Off The Strait Of Hormuz | Fox News
    First off who owns / controls Strait of Hormuz? Is it international or do they own it?

Frankly I think this would be a very bad move because it would effect more than just the US. But if this did lead to War, which because it's oil probably would, I think Pakistan would then finish cutting off our troops in Afghanistan from resupply. If they did do this it would be a very bad thing.

I think they are trying to retain face after the US drone. But wasn't there a scandal that they were sending operatives through Venezuela, getting them Venezuelan ID and illegally entering the US as immigrants? Any thoughts on this? Really just wanted to say to all get some gas :P but I go to thinking too.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    This would be provocation to war and Iran knows it. Button pushers beware of what buttons you actually push. We have, for instance, a big red button that does not bode well for you, O pushers of buttons.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Uhh, there's an outfit called the US Navy that might not take too kindly to nonsense like this.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Send in the world police!! This treachery shall not go unpunished!!

Prepare to seal the St. Lawrence Seaway!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Yes, because the rest of the world would just sit there and twiddle their thumbs at the awesome military might of Iran :rolleyes:

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Yes, because the rest of the world would just sit there and twiddle their thumbs at the awesome military might of Iran :rolleyes:

I know right.

I don't understand why countries like this even mess with babble like this. We both know this is not going to happen. They know if they were to actually do the kinds of things they threaten to they may as well just hit their own self destruct button. Why bother wasting your breath on this kind of ting. Your not going to do and we all know it....

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    If we only had a leader who would allow our oil companies to drill and extract and refine more oil in this country, as I have said many times, along with Canada and Mexico, we could form our own "OPEC" and tell Iran to go to heck.

futureofwar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bunker Hill
    I know right.

I don't understand why countries like this even mess with babble like this. We both know this is not going to happen. They know if they were to actually do the kinds of things they threaten to they may as well just hit their own self destruct button. Why bother wasting your breath on this kind of ting. Your not going to do and we all know it....

Maybe they don't think our Fearless Leader will do anything about it. When was the last time we fought a country with an organized military anyhow? Most of our newer equipment is to defeat IED's, don't know if you've noticed that one lately.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Send in the world police!! This treachery shall not go unpunished!!

Prepare to seal the St. Lawrence Seaway!!

Question: since Iran does not hold absolute possession of the entire Strait, and there is an operating U.N. treaty in effect, and that shutting it down directly impinges on the ability of other nations to conduct their economic business, how is it that you sarcastically imply the world has no leg on which to stand to oppose Iran if they follow through?

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    BAD idea for Iran for multiple Strategic and Operational resons. Answer to who owns the SOH: Omani and Iranian national waters BUT under UNCLOS it is an international Strait so free shipping is allowed by convention and "International law".

1. Strategic: By disrupting SOH they would disrupt their own oil exports, their main GDP source and economic center of gravity.

2. Strategic: As noted they would REALLLY **** of their gulf neighbors, independent of Sunni vs. Shia or other political leanings by jacking up OIL flow through SOH.

3. Operational: If they really want to loose what little navy they have this is they way to do it. US Battle Ensign will lead the fight but it would not be just us. Make no mistake that just like in Mahan's time their are certain choke points that we and the rest of the planet will not allow to be closed, this is one.

4. Tactical...the Iranian Rev Guard Corps Navy and Iranian Reg Navy have such a stellar track record....

Operation Earnest Will - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Operation Prime Chance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Operation Praying Mantis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Honestly a dust up in the SOH would cause TEMPORARY oil price issues...there would be a short and violent fight...and then there would be no more Iranian Navy. I do not think that even Mr "Im A DINNER Jacket" is foolish enough to try this.

Last edited:

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Iran's military will practice sealing off the Strait of Hormuz, the world’s most important oil transport channel

Think about it, is this really the most important oil transport in the whole world? And if it is, why in the H would the oil producing nations that use this channel allow this to happen? It does not make sense (fiscally speaking) They might be crazy, but they are not that crazy. I realize that it would disrupt oil supply, short term, and the billions to be made would be excessive to say the least, but over the long haul it would hurt OPEC bad. It is not going to happen. Just more media propaganda to scare us. We only get about 10% of our oil from the middle east, and don't know about China....so

futureofwar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bunker Hill
    Iran's military will practice sealing off the Strait of Hormuz, the world’s most important oil transport channel

Think about it, is this really the most important oil transport in the whole world? And if it is, why in the H would the oil producing nations that use this channel allow this to happen? It does not make sense (fiscally speaking) They might be crazy, but they are not that crazy. I realize that it would disrupt oil supply, short term, and the billions to be made would be excessive to say the least, but over the long haul it would hurt OPEC bad. It is not going to happen. Just more media propaganda to scare us. We only get about 10% of our oil from the middle east, and don't know about China....so

You know they wouldn't cut off China.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Even without the Support of the US or Brittan, the Countries on the other side of the SOH are more than capable of dusting the Iranian Fleet. Kuwait, Oman, Bahrain, and the UAE would not really appreciate the Iranian BS...

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO

This should be in purple. All the neocons keep telling us how super duper scary Iran is and how they want to kill us all and could totally do it with their superpower military might and thousands of advanced ICBMs they have. I for one believe the hype.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    BAD idea for Iran for multiple Strategic and Operational resons. Answer to who owns the SOH: Omani and Iranian national waters BUT under UNCLOS it is an international Strait so free shipping is allowed by convention and "International law".

1. Strategic: By disrupting SOH they would disrupt their own oil exports, their main GDP source and economic center of gravity.

2. Strategic: As noted they would REALLLY **** of their gulf neighbors, independent of Sunni vs. Shia or other political leanings by jacking up OIL flow through SOH.

3. Operational: If they really want to loose what little navy they have this is they way to do it. US Battle Ensign will lead the fight but it would not be just us. Make no mistake that just like in Mahan's time their are certain choke points that we and the rest of the planet will not allow to be closed, this is one.

4. Tactical...the Iranian Rev Guard Corps Navy and Iranian Reg Navy have such a stellar track record....

Operation Earnest Will - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Operation Prime Chance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Operation Praying Mantis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Honestly a dust up in the SOH would cause TEMPORARY oil price issues...there would be a short and violent fight...and then there would be no more Iranian Navy. I do not think that even Mr "Im A DINNER Jacket" is foolish enough to try this.

Not really sure this logically follows. If they have the control to close it, they have the control to let their own ships through.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Not really sure this logically follows. If they have the control to close it, they have the control to let their own ships through.
    I would hazard a guess that Iran does not have their own Supertanker fleet...
    Meaning EVERY one would need to stop and be boarded for inspection and verification...

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I would hazard a guess that Iran does not have their own Supertanker fleet...
    Meaning EVERY one would need to stop and be boarded for inspection and verification...

Okay, fine. But it's a logistical issue, not a stoppage. And wouldn't they know who carried their own oil for export?

Top Bottom