• ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I would love to go but they have all that violence and gang activity going on during the fest.
    I'll think I'll skip it unless they bring on the extra 500 cops like they did for the last one.

infebious

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    My wife, daughter, and I were just refused entrance to the Irish Fest b/c my wife was carrying her pistol in her purse. We are both properly Licensed. I asked to speak to a supervisor, who came out and told me it was a private event and firearms were not allowed.

I asked to speak to his supervisor or a law enforcement officer, to which he only put me on the radio with someone, who repeated the same "private event, you can't carry"...

I asked them to show me in writing their policy of no handguns, which they were unable to do. Even on their website it doesn't say to leave your guns at home...

Is the Irish Festival allowed to deny entrance to lawfully carrying patrons?

Did some research of the current law, and my non-lawyer guess is "I guess they can keep me from carrying a gun at their event" b/c:

Sec. 4. This chapter may not be construed to prevent any of the following:

(10) For an event occurring on property leased from a political subdivision or municipal corporation by the promoter or organizer of the event:
    (A) the establishment, by the promoter or organizer, at the

promoter's or organizer's own discretion, of rules of conduct or admission upon which attendance at or participation in the event is conditioned; or
    (B) the implementation or enforcement of the rules of conduct or admission described in clause (A) by a political subdivision or municipal corporation in connection with the event.

source: http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2011/SE/SE0292.1.html

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I suspect we'll probably be seeing a lot more of these "private" events on public property. Seems somewhat dubious, the ability of the .gov to rent out "public" property for "private" events. At any rate I think they have discovered their loophole to keep us from exercising our rights. "No Sir you may not carry on the Monon, they have it rented out for a special event today, Yes Sir I realize they are only using 12 feet of the trail but they rented the whole trail. No where in the lease agreement does it say they have to use the whole thing but the gun restriction is for the entire leased property. Have a nice day sir!"

infebious

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    Then they'll say that since all private property is subject to property tax it is really just leased from them too, and start to work out another way to take my liberty while boasting of how liberating they've been.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I guess I'm to the age/attitude that I don't want the hassle of these public events, ie., ball games, Octoberfest, Irishfest, concerts, etc. Years ago you could go to these places and not be strip searched, poked and prodded. Screw um' if they don't want my money.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Not sure what their "policy" is, but I have gone for years and have always cc'd just like I do about every place else I go.

Concealed means concealed.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    My wife, daughter, and I were just refused entrance to the Irish Fest b/c my wife was carrying her pistol in her purse. We are both properly Licensed. I asked to speak to a supervisor, who came out and told me it was a private event and firearms were not allowed.

I asked to speak to his supervisor or a law enforcement officer, to which he only put me on the radio with someone, who repeated the same "private event, you can't carry"...

I asked them to show me in writing their policy of no handguns, which they were unable to do. Even on their website it doesn't say to leave your guns at home...

Is the Irish Festival allowed to deny entrance to lawfully carrying patrons?

Did some research of the current law, and my non-lawyer guess is "I guess they can keep me from carrying a gun at their event" b/c:

Sec. 4. This chapter may not be construed to prevent any of the following:

(10) For an event occurring on property leased from a political subdivision or municipal corporation by the promoter or organizer of the event:
    (A) the establishment, by the promoter or organizer, at the

promoter's or organizer's own discretion, of rules of conduct or admission upon which attendance at or participation in the event is conditioned; or
    (B) the implementation or enforcement of the rules of conduct or admission described in clause (A) by a political subdivision or municipal corporation in connection with the event.

source: Enrolled Act, Senate Bill 0292
    You might as well have turn around and left as soon as they asked to look in your wife's purse.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    The question is who is "puts on" the event?

I would think that if it is the city that puts on the event then they are violating the new laws. If it is a private company then they would need some form of lease agreement. Sounds like if they don't have an agreement then it may be time to call them on it.

Top Bottom