• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have recently been trying to use iron sights and just cant seem to ever make them work. My problem is that I am heavily visually impaired(20/EE(special book with letter twice as big as the 20/400 eye chart e),20/100). Is there any tips that I can use to make this easier as I cant put a scope on all my friends rifles and not a CC pistol. I can do fine with a big enought scope(9x40 for 50yds barely).

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    appleseed for the rifle stuff.... you will learn that you only need to see the front sight and the target will be blurry and you can still shoot great.

xs bigdots for the cc piece so they stand out more and you dont have to concentrate so hard.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Its worth the drive to get to one.

after you go you will be asking yourself why you didnt know about it sooner. its worth every penny of it and then some.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Thanks, thatll have to wait till I get back to indianapolis as it seems that there isnt one very close to the new albany/louisville area.

Sounds like you're only about 25 miles from Knob Creek, down in KY.
    The next Appleseed at that range is Sep. 10-11. :yesway:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have no idea what those numbers on your eyesight mean. There are Optomitrists that will let you bring a rifle or handgun into the office and work with you to create corrective lenses to help with whatever problem you are having. Call around and ask the question. Some of these pros love a challenge.

In Ft Wayne area it is Dr Schramm. He has been known to come to the range with his gear and work one-on-one with shooters.

What you want is a clear front sight and a blurry target.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    also, peep sights, or ghost ring sights, work a lot better for people who can't see well, compared to the buckhorn sights that come on a lot of rifles.

Even if you see just fine, peep sights are just easier to use.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    Thanks, thatll have to wait till I get back to indianapolis as it seems that there isnt one very close to the new albany/louisville area.

Sept 3-4 Carrolton, KY 1.5 hours from new Albany
    Sept 10-11 at Knob Creek Range 20 minutes from New Albany
    Oct 3-4 West Baden, IN. 60 minutes from New Albany
    Hope that helps. I will be at the Knob Creek shoot myself.

K9stang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Southern IN
    My eyes are pretty bad too, I have a hard time with open sights. The technique I have to use is to find the front sight and the target, then line them in the rear sight. It takes a little practice, and sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries, but it is effective. I love my savage .22 with iron sights and can hit out to about 100 yards. Can't see any further even with my glasses!

For cc I use a snub nose and don't really aim, just point shoot.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My eyes are pretty bad too, I have a hard time with open sights. The technique I have to use is to find the front sight and the target, then line them in the rear sight. It takes a little practice, and sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries, but it is effective. I love my savage .22 with iron sights and can hit out to about 100 yards. Can't see any further even with my glasses!

For cc I use a snub nose and don't really aim, just point shoot.
    Ok ive been wondering that as I really dont have any useful vision beyond 15yds without optics but Ill have to try that next time i can.

Top Bottom