• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Been fighting with middle aged eyes for years. I wear reading glasses for work and reading. Cant figure out how I'd have time to put them on for a gunfight, so I don't allow myself to use them for shooting.

The big orange dot on the front sight helps me:

7t1P0zC.png

That is the EXACT sight I plan on putting on all my HGs.

Yep, Trijicon HD's for me and they help a lot.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I too have had this aging eye issue. I enjoy shooting too much to let my eyes hold me back, so I worked with my eye doctor to remedy the situation. What my o[FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]ptometrist was able to do for me was to prescribe me lenses where my dominant eye now has a lens that is slightly weaker to see better at mid range, and my don-dominant eye has the full strength lens to see out to infinity. This has worked wonders for me, and also helps for doing work tasks like computer work.

[/FONT]

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The ability to shoot small groups with a handgun in a self defense situation is way overrated. And actually not desirable. Especially with the dinky little handguns that seem to be all the rage these days for EDC. I grew up concealing 1911's and 4 inch model 15's. IWB. But that probably shows my age...

Don't fool yourself, if it happens to you, you are going to be startled and barely able to function, much less get any kind of sight picture, perfect or otherwise. You will wish that you had a bigger handgun. Most true SD shootings are well under 7 yards and many are nearly contact distance. Sights are usually not relevant. Indexing the gun to the target and the ability to point shoot are much more valuable skills than the ability to shoot small groups at your leisure at a paper target on the range one well aimed shot at a time.

Take a gun class to master the gun manipulation skills. Anybody who is honest with themselves will admit that at Thunder Ranch or Gunsite or wherever, they were point shooting at 10 yards or under to make the required time for two shots on the last day. I don't know why people are reluctant to admit it.

Now if your goal is to become a High Master bullseye shooter, my advice is totally different. But I think you need an instructor to help you. There are a few out there that are real.

I know that my eyes were opened when I was invited to attend a point shooting class 10 years ago. It didn't take long for us to be getting hits out to 25 yards by point shooting.

And this was after front sight, front sight, front sight was drilled into me in the Police Academy 25 years ago. I have no creds but I do have a little experience. Good luck. Go to school. Try to make it as real as possible.

Last edited:

RetDep310

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Columbus
    I wear progressive lense bifocals. Front sight is still blurry, so I went with a orange front sight, and blackout rear sights from Ameri Glo.

Top Bottom