• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I want to get some iron sights for my Spike's Tactical AR-15 (rear sight) before I look for optics. Aimpoint or Acog. Spike's sells a Troy Industries or I can get a Larue Tactical. So many choices all are probably O.K. but you know it has to be perfect. What BUIS would you recommend? Thanks, Mike:dunno:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The one's you've mentioned are pretty good, and are towards the upper end of the price range.

I run YHM's and they are a little less expensive, but still compact and fairly low profile. YHM, Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc. – Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors | Sights ( I use the same plane flip front and rear flip)

If you go with an ACOG, you'll be somewhat limited in your rear site, as to get the right eye releif you'll need to run the ACOG pretty far back on the rail, meaning you'll need to run a very low profile rear site.

If you go with and Aimpoint you open yourself up to a few more choices for the rear, as most Aimpoints are mounted farther forward on the rail.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Spike's sells a Troy Industries or I can get a Larue Tactical.

The LaRue flip-up BUIS is actually a Troy unit with the LaRue logo on it, so you'll be good either way. Highly recommended.

P3122414small.JPG

images

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The Troy's are widely regarded as quality folders.

My BUIS are fixed and cowitnessed with my optics. If the optics fail, the irons are ready to go, no fiddling.

The two fixed sights I recommend are from Lewis Machine Tool and Daniel Defense.

Tactical Adjustable Rear Sight - Sights - A2 style

Daniel Defense, Inc | Browse | Sights | A1.5 Fixed Rear Sight - A2 aperture using A1 style windage adj. If you look around you can find for $62-65. Less rail space req.

If you use a longer optical system, like a scope, or a red dot with a magnifier, you may need a folding sight.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I recommend Troy BUIS (folders) as well. Unfortunately they stopped making the one I really wanted ... Troy Front Folding Battle Sight (Windage/Elevation adjustable). I ordered one and waited for months before they called me and told me it had been discontinued. I almost cried. No one else (to my knowledge) makes a similar product.

When I had a couple ARs to equip with Troy BUIS, I purchased the cheaper MagPul MBUS until I could afford the Troys just so I could have something usable. Considering the cost and the plastic, they seemed like they would be ok in a pinch.

Also have to give a hat tip to the LMT Rear Sight mentioned by cosermann.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I actually sort of like my Magpul's BUIS, granted they aren't made out of machined steel like my more expensive ARMS #40 BUIS are but they are very quick to deploy & retract.

I haven't had the chance to put them through the sort of abuse that my ARMS have been through but I'm fairly confident that they are pretty rugged & will probably take quite a beating.

For the money I think the Magpuls are hard to beat, Troy's are nice too but they are kind of pricey (so are ARMS though) either way it's hard to go wrong with any of those three IMHO.

cowboy23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    lafayette
    I would go with the cco its pretty much the same as the aimpoint deal. I had one when I was in Iraq n loved it. The acog is cool to my brother had one but they are more for distance. It just depends on what u wanna do with it weapon

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I have MagPuls on one of mine and like them alot. I have not had any problems with them.

MATECH : USGI Backup Sight (100-003-702) - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

This is what I just qualified with and I LOVE IT, maybe I just like it cause I stared at it for 9 wks. It held zero perfectly, and let me tell you I put it through its paces, it got knocked around daily had sand, mud, and humidity all day long. I know I am going to buy one for my other AR when I get back home.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    One of the additional good features of the Troy sights is that the rear aperatures do not shift your elevation (i.e. they are on the same horizontal plane). If you buy less expensive sights and find you want a same-plane rear aperture, you'll have to buy an aftermarket one and install it unless what you buy already handles that.

indiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I found an older thread that said the Navy Seals are using the LMT rear sight. $119.00 But I'll take some of your advice and wait till my ACOG gets here to make sure how much room I'll have.

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    I am still using the troys that indymonkey sold me and they seem like quality sights, easily adjusted, i brought them right in and was shooting decent groups with them on the Spikes tactical AR setup. Need to upgrade to some decent optics though....

Top Bottom