• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wazimu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    I am new to long guns and recently purchased a DPMS AR and it does not have sights. I do have a Bushnell red dot that I could mount and just forget the iron sights for a while as real AR sights ain't cheap.

I use iron sights on my 10/22 but don't want to pick up bad habits with my first AR by going directly to a red dot. I'm just plinking, by the way. Are the iron sights essential or just forget about it and shoot the thing with what I already own?

chilly2477

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    That is entirely up to you, I personally would have fun with the red dot, but buy the sights as well. You never have to change the batteries on Iron sights. I have a red dot on a quick release mount for my AK but ultimately count on my iron sights.

CQB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Central North Forty
    As a plinking rifle - whatever makes you happy. As a defense/survival rifle - both. something like Magpul flip up BUIS for around $80. Cowittness the iron sights through the red dot. My :twocents:

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Both can fail, redundancy is a good thing, co-witness is better, and if you get flip up BUIS then you can co witness and if it's too clutter a sight picture fold them down.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Like others have said, flip up front and rear. Familiarize yourself with your rifle, then step up to a nice red dot for primary shooting. Just remember when buying the front sight that the gas block on a DPMS is shorter than most and you will need a sight that compensates for that difference in height compared to the upper receiver.

Wazimu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Front sight

Please recommend a front sight. I understand it must be gas block height but there are many from which to choose. The Magpul rear appears to be a good cheap option. Thanks.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    You need both. The Magpul sights are alright, but won't work on a gas block (polymer + heat = trouble). I'd say buy the best set you can afford, ultimately Troy if you can swing it.

Irukanji

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    SW Indiana
    Iron until your shooting skill is excellent. If you go with the red dot odds are you will never circles back and become skilled. Someday you may need to shoot with an iron sight and wouldn't have the skill. A Red dot won't be an issue if you are good with iron. Plus, you save a few hundred bucks!!! :)

Top Bottom