• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I hear alot of people use less than 150 grains of BP in their muzzeloaders for accuracy mainly. So It would be interesting to see what everyone uses in their setup. Im shootin a TC Encore I always get great accuracy so I never bothered goin lower on the charge. Plus you never know when a 300 pound bruizer comes along and you will wish you had a 150gr "ELK" load as some have called it. When people ask me why I shoot 150grs I say because it wont hold 200 lol.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I never use magnum loads. I don't really see the need for them on a whitetail. IMO it is a waste of powder and money. I use 90gr of pyrodex and a 240gr hollow point and put 'em down every time. Everyone has their own preference but IMO all these magnum loads and giant slugs for shotguns are just more marketing strategies. They are for the hunters not the hunted.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I have great luck with 110gr and lead round ball. 150 gr of black powder seems a bit much and I would never try that in my flintlock. Are you using ffG? That's what I use. ffffG in my frizzen.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If you are going for accuracy then 150 grains is probably NOT what you want to use. Most barrels will not burn 150 grains completly leading to inconsistancies. the velocity gain from the extra 50 grains is rather minimal in the grand scheme of things like shot placement and such.

but to answer your question is it TOO MUCH, that is up to the gun. If the barrel is rated for it, no. If its not rated for it, yes.

Icemancometh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    SUNNY SIDE OF THE RIVER
    I have shot my Knight with a magnum load and wasn't impressed with the accuracy. I agree that a magnum load is not needed for whitetail. I have taken numerous deer at 150 yards with 100 grains of pyrodex pellets and a 250 grain TC Shockwave.

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    I have a CVA Accura and started out with 150 grains and was shooting 2 1/2 to 3 inch groups at 50 yards with a 295 grain power belt.

But with 100 grains I can cut holes at 50 yards and can confidently take a shot at 150 yards although I haven't had the chance to take a long shot like that.

Dead deer every time.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    My Omega will handle 150gr, and I have tested extensively with my 245 Powerbelts.........and am moving up to 250 Aerolites this year, but 100g of powder works perfect.

All I've found is I blow a lot of unused powder out of the barrel, and the downrange impact is nearly identical with 100gr.

In fact, I believe my accuracy is better with the lighter amount of grain load. I feel with 150, the bullet is literally blasted out of the barrel, without hitting the rifling.

I'm sure the powder companies want you to use 150, as they sell more powder. :draw:

Last edited:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I use 100 gr in my inline and 70-80 gr in my 50 cal TC Renegade. 150 gr is really more than you need IMHO. Don't think the deer notice a difference when either hits them.

nimrodder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Indy
    I use 70grs when shooting heavy conicals. In my sabot gun I shoot 90 because anything more than that the accuracy is not there.

Top Bottom