• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    This. It was a shortage on stuff that was under ZERO threat. Anyone who knew anything just waited it out. It sucked. But we just waited it out.

I shot a lot more larger caliber stuff in that time. No reason to shoot 22lr for the same cost as 223 and 9mm.

The complete shortage of everything was really strange. Stuff that was under no threat seemed to evaporate everywhere.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The complete shortage of everything was really strange. Stuff that was under no threat seemed to evaporate everywhere.

Only explanation I have (and I have a little anecdotal evidence to back it up) is that the shooting, and impending ban on things, piqued the interest of many people that were on the fence about buying XYZ, be that AR's, or just getting into guns in general.

I knew several guys at work that rarely ever talked about guns were all of the sudden interested in getting AR-15's before they were banned, and picking up xyz. I had a friend that got into guns shortly after Sandyhook and I believe that was the push over the edge that he needed to become a gun owner.

So a bunch of people with a newfound interest in guns, .22 guns and .22 ammo are both very affordable so you get a lot of demand for 22 ammo.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Well it has been awhile since I looked because I got tired of net seeing it on the shelves. I'm glad to see that it seems to be trending back in our favor and I'll definitley be checking out the online sources again also!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Local Walmart has had more 22 the last few months than I've ever seen there, even pre shortage. Granted, most is lower grade bulk plinking stuff but they do get smaller amounts of Minimags and SV. Also have seen some Stingers a few times. Personally I've been buying cases of mid range ammo the last year or so. Need to take inventory again but I think I'm in the mid 5 digits with 22s. Enough that I won't buy any more unless its a really,really good price.

:runaway:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I'm still buying when the price is right...... I have an ammo can still 1/2 full of 22 from a HP22 deal I made 3-4yrs ago off here for 125. I sold the hp22 for 100 a few months after since it was junk. I probably have a good 5-7k in my stash not opened.

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Those sure were dark times for 22 shooters. I already had a pretty decent stockpile anyway so it didn't affect me but I knew a lot of people that only bought ammo when they needed it and they were screwed. My nephew had a new 22 rifle his dad got him and was bummed cause he couldn't use it. They couldn't find ammo anywhere in the Marion area. It just happened to be around Christmas time so he got a box of winchester bulk ammo from me for Christmas.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    LOL. I asked my F.I.L. for ammo for Christmas for years. Pissed my wife off at first because it wasn't "Christmassy" I guess. He got it, though. And I got .22 every year. God bless that good man.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I’m sitting on more than I need for a long long time, but I thought there hasn’t been a shortage for years...?

HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    It was scarce for a few months, maybe 2 or 3 yrs ago. I just never used .22 except for plinking. Otherwise i would not have known there was a shortage. Prices for it then was sky high also.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    It hasn't been scarce for at least 2 years. Not sure why someone thinks it's all of a sudden "available"? There's a lot of other things that are a lot harder to find than .22LR (powder, primers, muzzleloader white hots, sabots, turkey shells, etc.).

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Was in the McCordsville Meijer today and they had plenty of 22lr ammo. I’m not so sure people even know they sell ammo.

Carmel Corn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Carmel
    IMHO, .22LR has been generally very well supplied in recent months at the places I shop. The only exception I can think of is if you are specifically looking for CCI Mini-Mags....particularly the 40g round nose.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    The Walmart's and Rural Kings seem to actually have an overabundance of ammo on the shelves. We all need to get in and by as much as we can before the next great shortage hits! You are not well prepared until you have at least 500,000 rounds of 22 lr.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I got caught flat footed during the 'Great Panic'. I had all the primers, powder and bullets I needed but little .22. At the time, my daughter was shooting .22s for cowboy action. She had to move up to .38s. My childrens children wont run out of .22 now.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Something I've learned since the great ammo flipper "shortage" is that all 22 LR is not the same. I've collected a fair amount of bricks of various bulk ammo as they've became available over the past couple years.

My current desires are for more precision use rather than plinking/spray and pray. While not giving in to notably higher dollar target branded ammo, standard velocity lead bullets with a known degree of consistent accuracy are my game. I've been happy to see numerous sales on this variety of low end target shooting ammo. Prices that can almost rival more erratic shooting "bulk pack" ammo.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I wonder what that man is doing with his 350,000 + boxes of 22s.
    When he heard about the possible shortage.
    He thought he would start a black market.

Top Bottom