Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I beg to differ.
    Revolvers are more reliable.
    But, most semi-autos problems can be cleared on the spot.
    When a revolver jams, its down for the count.
    Primers pushed back
    Timing off
    Hilliry Lock self engages.

And I'm sure there's more.

I shoot+carry both, depending on how I dress.(Before I hear it-NO not in a DRESS!)

A semi-auto is A LOT more likely to have a FTF, or FTE, than most any $250-$350 QUALITY S&W or Ruger .357Mag. revolver.
    Most new gun owners will have a harder time clearing a Semi-auto than they will to keep pulling the trigger on a revolver.

IMO, there is more of a chance to win SOME money on the lottery than there is to have a QUALITY revolver to become inop when needed...Bill.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    How much can you afford to shoot. You can get a lot more practice with a .22 than any other caliber, If you're not going to practice much, then get a .357 or .38 and keep .38 +P's in it. If you're not going to practive at all, get a Claymore. That will stop just about any home invader.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I like the pitbull experiment idea too, but instead of killing the dogs, train them, take'm home and let them play survival of the fittest with your current dog. No matter the outcome, you have a cheap 22 to plink with and a couple man eaters to protect your house... win-win in my book.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Let's see what Paul Gomez had to say on the matter.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42-hok8IjQQ[/ame]

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I second (or third) the advice for a used Ruger P-series 9mm, they are good HD guns with low felt recoil and you should be able to find them in your price range.

The Shotgun advice is another good idea.

Good luck to you and whatever you decide to get. Don't forget to post it here with a pic so we all can drool over it. :rockwoot:

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I read an account of two guys getting into a fight.
    One pulled a knife, the other pulled a 22 handgun.
    The guy with the 22 shot the other guy several times.
    The guy with the knife proceeded the stab the shooter several times including once in the head (brain).
    They both died but the guy with the 22 died first
    That fits the earlier pit bull scenario pretty well.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Ha ha, many years ago I was stationed in Memphis TN. I remember a story on the news one night. An old man in his 70's shot an intruder multiple times, something like 7 - 10 times with a .22 pistol, finally the intruder just left. When the police caught the intruder he had not even tried to go to the hospital. They asked him why he gave up the home invasion. He basically said he just got tired of being shot and didn't know how many rounds the old man still had left.

Yes sir, the .22 not exactly a man stopper. ;)

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If you're going to get a .22 for home defense - get a rifle. The .22 LR of a rifle (like a 10/22) is a completely different story than a handgun. I would have no qualms about using a .22 rifle. I would have plenty of qualms unnecessarily limiting myself to a .22 lr handgun. The penetration out of a handgun just isn't consistently there.

I some situations, I really would prefer a stout sharpened stick.

The OP mentioned reliability - very few .22 lr semiauto handguns can match the reliability of many centerfire semiauto handguns. Even with revolvers, you'd have the reliability difference between the rimfire and centerfire ignition systems. You will likely sacrifice reliability by restricting yourself to a .22. So, weigh that if it's important to you.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/22LR/22LR%20CALIBER%20RECOMMENDATIONS.pdf

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs27.htm

Last edited:

danbb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Cedar Lake
    One factor that I don't ever see mentioned is that you're a lot more likely to use your gun to defend your home from varmints than people, and for taking out a coon that just won't leave the garage, there's nothing like a 10/22

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    How about a single shot Shot Gun? Price is right, easy to shoot, and if you have teens you can show them how to use it as well. With the money you save you can start saving it for another handgun/shotgun. Gander Mtn has layaway, but as always shop around for the best deal. A 22 is good for target practice and light duty, 9mm usually cost a little less to shoot.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    How about a single shot Shot Gun? Price is right, easy to shoot, and if you have teens you can show them how to use it as well. With the money you save you can start saving it for another handgun/shotgun. Gander Mtn has layaway, but as always shop around for the best deal. A 22 is good for target practice and light duty, 9mm usually cost a little less to shoot.

Single shot shotgun is a bad idea. Too long to reload. That is if you remember to grab extra shells after pulling on your pants, and knocking your glasses off the nightstand.

Mossberg 500, in 12 or 20 gauge. That's six rounds (if I am not mistaken). Shoot, pump, shoot, pump. You don't have to worry about breaking a barrel, getting a shell half ejected, not pulling the hammer back.

OP at your price point, I would recommend getting a used shotgun, and throwing a good light on it. If you blow all your dough on a handgun, it's gonna be useless, and dangerous if you can't see what you're shooting at.

Come tax time, if you get some cool kick backs from O'Bummer and his Band of merry men, see if you can buy a handgun with that. That's what I'd do if I was you. Either way, welcome to :ingo: stick around for a while! :draw:

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Don't underestimate the stopping power of the .22 rifle at close range ...a friend of mine was shot with
    one in the 50s and the scar looked like a machete attack ,front and back. He was shot once from a car
    in a drive by. A magazine full of hollowpoints is no small threat...out of a rifle.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Don't underestimate the stopping power of the .22 rifle at close range ...a friend of mine was shot with
    one in the 50s and the scar looked like a machete attack ,front and back. He was shot once from a car
    in a drive by. A magazine full of hollowpoints is no small threat...out of a rifle.

And your friend survived. Point proven.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    There are a lot of good handguns available for under $300. I agree as far as recommending a shotgun for home defense. But if your mind is made up on getting a handgun for home defense then don't go small. Get a full size 9mm. It will be easier to learn to shoot it well.

CoastieGM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    .22 Beat a 9mm...

Hello yuwaix,:welcome:

There have been a lot of really good comments on this thread. Unfortunately, the few atrocious ones come across as being so authoritative that I could no longer be a lurker. Ok, here's real life.

Three years ago, my 16 year old son fought off and killed a violent home invader (later learned there were a couple others, but they ran when their heavily armed amigo went down in a hail of lead). The home invader was armed with a 9mm pistol and a shank screwdriver. My son had a Ruger 10/22 rifle (.22 caliber) with a 25 round magazine.

The bad guy went down fast still clutching his pistol in his fist.

The 10/22 can quickly hurl a wall of lead that a woman or child can easily and accurately dispense.

Use 40 grain sold point ammo (never hollow) moving at least 1,200 feet per second to punch through ribs, sternum and cranium.

I keep two 10/22's around the house for the wife and children to use.

I'm ok with the 10/22 for myself as well, but I greatly prefer to use a 9mm carbine (short rifle). Yes, the 9mm is far more effective than a .22LR.

Also, a carbine is far more powerful than any pistol of the same caliber. The less experienced shooter more accurately and quickly acquires target with a carbine when under extreme stress than they do a pistol.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom