• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It is irresponsible to plan to use a .22LR for self defense. The cartridge was not designed as such. It is a small game, target and plinking round. All other disposable cartridges would be rimfire if it was a reliable form of powder ignition. As mentioned, malfunctions are frequent and do not clear well.

Don't fall into the lazy belief that because the .22LR has shot and killed folks that it is a good choice. Anyone recommending the .22LR for self defense is justifying their their own choice.

CoastieGM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    It is irresponsible to plan to use a .22LR for self defense. The cartridge was not designed as such. It is a small game, target and plinking round. All other disposable cartridges would be rimfire if it was a reliable form of powder ignition. As mentioned, malfunctions are frequent and do not clear well.

Don't fall into the lazy belief that because the .22LR has shot and killed folks that it is a good choice. Anyone recommending the .22LR for self defense is justifying their their own choice.
    Don't you think that's just a tad bit of sweeping declaration on your part?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Don't you think that's just a tad bit of sweeping declaration on your part?

Nope. I think he hit the nail on the head.

Bottom line, make your own decisions. I've decided that my life and my family's lives are too valuable to defend with the same round that won't always knock a bowling pin off a table.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Nope. I think he hit the nail on the head.

Bottom line, make your own decisions. I've decided that my life and my family's lives are too valuable to defend with the same round that won't always knock a bowling pin off a table.

Yes everyone should make their own decisions.
    I'm sure the big caliber guys might change their mind decades later, if they suffer from arthritis, and can't shoot the bigger stuff.
    You do what you can.
    Bigger IS better.
    Unless it isn't.

CoastieGM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    I'm sure the big caliber guys might change their mind decades later, if they suffer from arthritis, and can't shoot the bigger stuff.
    You do what you can.
    Bigger IS better.
    Unless it isn't.
    Very well put. They fail to view through any lens other than their own. And apparently they did not watch the news story of a home invader (a hopped-up murderer) who tried to kill my 16 year old son down in Houston (click this link).

My son was armed with a thoroughly tested and reliable Ruger 10/22 that he could handle extremely well (also had a 25 round hi-cap magazine). The bad guy was armed with a "superior" 9mm. However, the bad guy wasn't fully competent with his larger, "superior" weapon.

The "superior" 9mm lost to the "inferior" Ruger 10-22. My son lived. The bad guy was just a putrid stain on the floor.

Splat_zpsb3f09a19.jpg

It wasn't luck. It was training, preparation, and careful weapon selection to best fit the particular person in that particular situation. Were the same scenario to happen again, the outcome wouldn't change.

I'll begin to take these young "hand-cannon for everyone" aficionados a bit more seriously when they get a few more years of living under their belts and perhaps a dose of real life combat experience. (fending off tin cans and XBox Live don't count). Until then, the OP ought heed age and experience en lieu of youthful exuberance.

fe766b0d.jpg

mj.elder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    at 250 you could pick up a lcp or a tcp and rock out the 380 as self defense. that's the route id personally go.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I have a question: Why is it that there is a constant chorus of derision about the .22lr not being reliable in terms of the rimfire primer igniting reliably? I cannot recall ever having one fail.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a question: Why is it that there is a constant chorus of derision about the .22lr not being reliable in terms of the rimfire primer igniting reliably? I cannot recall ever having one fail.

I see them with random frequency at steel and rimfire matches.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Freedom, Indiana
    Someone breaking into your home can often be on drugs or simply rugged. They don't care about harm to you, and sometimes prefer that option. If you shoot someone of this nature with a .22 and hit him in the leg, you probably made him very angry. If the same bullet placement were accomplished with a large caliber, he's partially immobilized and buying you time.
    If that placement were in the chest, the 22 may or may not kill...and might kill but take awhile. A larger caliber greatly improves the chances of greater damage and less time for the intruder to cause you harm.
    Most of life is about chances and odds. Weight the scales in your own favor.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    If it's all you have, then use it. If you have others (9mm, .380, .45ACP, etc.) use those. I wouldn't want to trust my life to only a .22LR, but I'd trust the .22LR before I trusted that police would be there before anything happened.

bmwguru

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    My issue is the only guns my wife is comfortable shooting is my Ruger MK II and 10/22. She won't shoot any of my glocks, my LMT AR15 or my Benelli nova 12g shotgun. I guess if she's willing to use the .22's then it's better than nothing. :dunno:

CoastieGM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    My issue is the only guns my wife is comfortable shooting is my Ruger MK II and 10/22....I guess if she's willing to use the .22's then it's better than nothing. :dunno:
    That 10/22 will get the job done. See the lung pile on Post #86 of this thread. That handiwork was compliments of a 10/22 in the hands of a 16 yr old fighting off an armed home invader.

Smokeeater

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Warsaw
    The sight of a barrell being pointed at you may be enough of a deterant. If a .22 is all that your wife will use, tell her to use it. The ten rounds will do some damage...depending on shot placement.

bmwguru

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    The sight of a barrell being pointed at you may be enough of a deterant. If a .22 is all that your wife will use, tell her to use it. The ten rounds will do some damage...depending on shot placement.

I agree. She can hit 8" steel targets at 50yds with my MKII. Needless to say my G17 is in my nightstand and the MKII is in her nightstand.

CoastieGM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    I agree. She can hit 8" steel targets at 50yds with my MKII. Needless to say my G17 is in my nightstand and the MKII is in her nightstand.
    Awesome! My only further recommendation is to get one of those oval-shaped "Chinette" disposable platters for a target.

1. Orient the platter vertically, like a center mass target (do not draw a bulls-eye or anything else to focus upon.)

2. Put tape over the sights of her pistol

3. At 10 feet, see if she can point shoot...how fast she can draw and send it.

People who have really good precision shooting skills are often times on the slow side :): (not stupid...but methodical).

These two very different types of shooting use different parts of the brain.

Give it a try and see what happens. If necessary, teach her how to use just the front sight, or a split image, or looking down the barrel, or whatever works for her.

Top Bottom