Is $30 about as good as its gonna get for an FFL nowadays?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    It's funny what people think is worth what. My FFL (sportman Cove 46765) charges 25 and has consistantly. I used whans in la otto once before and they changed their price fromm25 to 35 within a week and gave me a lecture about not buying locally. I own a landscape company and we mow a entire lawn for $30 it amazes me that people think a phone call can be worth more than that. I also usually get ammo and other things so they sure aren't losing money off having me as a customer!! You think these FFLs would try to stick to a somewhat cheap consistent price to bring in the customers.

If it was only a phone call, the dealers would only charge a couple bucks or do it for free.
    There is a lot more to it than a simple phone call.
    Also, just the phone call(s) part can take quite a bit of time away from other business!

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Yep, not just a phone call. What about the ffl license fees? What about the STATE firearms license fees. And yes, time is money. Besides, how many of these people complaining would like someone else to dictate their wages? If you want to spend $20 in gas to shop around to find someone else to do it cheaper, by all means, go ahead. Spend a dollar to save a dime. Geez, these shops are in business to make money, not do favors.

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    A lot of misunderstanding in this thread regarding Business 101. Comparing X to Y and concluding that a FFL holder is charging too much to do a transfer. You're lucky they choose to do them at all.

Isn't business 101 getting the customer into your shop in the first place!! I'm just saying that prices are all over the map and it seems like these FFLs would want to get as many people as they can thru the door. $50 seems ridiculous. I didn't mean to just trivialize it with just a phone call either I know their is paperwork involved too.

Last edited:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Not every dealers overhead costs are the same; also some understand business and some do not. Thirty dollars for a transfer is very fair considering the time, costs and liability dealing in firearms. The transfer time starts when the receiving FFL is contacted by the customer, then dealing with the shipping FFL, receiving the firearm and ends after the customer leaves and the paperwork is completed.

When a customer is delayed it can double or triple the time invested in doing the transfer. Some FFL's just tell the customer to come back in three days, I have always checked in with NICS several times a day to check the statue of the check to get the gun to my customer as quickly as possible. When a customer gets denied and appeals it can go six months or longer holding the firearm and communicating with the customer over that time period.

Being a home based FFL since 1996 and a business owner and manager for forty years I understand true costs and believe anyone who does transfers for ten or twenty dollars to "bring in business" are selling themselves short and do not value their time. The guys always crying that they are being screwed by FFL's are not someone I want as a customer period; you can never please them and they do not value the FFL's time or financial investment. I have helped a half dozen guys get started in this business and every one charges thirty dollars or more for transfers because after spending time with me they have a true understanding of their actual cost of doing business.

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I'm curious to see what the going rate will be if/when the government forces FFL transfers on everybody. THEN you'll see a substantial increase because Uncle Sugar will want a "cut".

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I can only speak for myself but those FFL's charging $20 or less are doing folks a favor by doing it at that price.
    And I'm sure they're getting some extra business due to that favor. If I get a transfer done I always like to buy some ammo or other small items from the shop at the same time. Seems more polite that way. Never felt right just getting the transfer and walking out.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Re-loaders' Supply in Jeff was only $15 when I picked up my lowers last fall. They couldn't believe I got my lowers for $49.99. I got the serious double take when I told them the price. Maybe it was 2 years ago, time does fly! :D

1 old 0311

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Carmel
    www.richards-guns.com/‎

FFL Dealer in Fishers, IN. . Phone number: 317-845-4111 ...

Good luck with that. I was going to buy a shotgun from him last year. I drove 40 minutes in rush hour traffic and when I got there his wife said "HE'S NOT HERE. JUST LEFT FOR THE DENTIST.":xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad:
    He called me back later and said "come on back I just returned." I repeated the old adage Fool me once...........................

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    You missed the appointment, not me.

Good luck with that. I was going to buy a shotgun from him last year. I drove 40 minutes in rush hour traffic and when I got there his wife said "HE'S NOT HERE. JUST LEFT FOR THE DENTIST.":xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad:
    He called me back later and said "come on back I just returned." I repeated the old adage Fool me once...........................

Your memory fails you, we had an appointment for 8 or 9 AM and I had a dental emergency but got back home at five minutes before the agreed upon time and my wife said you showed up a half hour early, sat in the driveway for a short time and then took off. When I got home I called you right away and you acted like a real jerk on the phone. I was there at the agreed upon time, you weren't. I did not run by set store hours, I worked by appointments and YOU screwed up, not me. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Both of the shops I frequent charge me $20 or less. Evidently customer loyalty is appreciated some places more than others. My feeling would be (I am a former FFL holder) that it's generally less than 10 minutes involved and may get me a repeat customer. BUT if it's a guy I've never seen before that's bought something on the internet that I had laying in the case and all he's doing is saving sales tax I would probably consider charging him more than $25.. You take care of those that take care of you.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    $25.00 at Bradis; been that price for as long as I can remember, and I've worked there 13 years.

We used to be considered expensive on our transfers, now it seems we are low to middle-of-the-road. I think we'll just keep our price consistent and let the market do what it will. Heck, maybe in another 10 years we'll be considered a screaming bargain! :D

Top Bottom