• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zcam630

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Somewhere
    I guess I did t realize the bottom dropped out on the market for this caliber. Seems know one is in the market for these guns used. Is anyone else noticing this or am I just late to the game? :dunno:

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    It's hard to personally sell a used .40 cal when you can get used police gun with 3 mags and factory night sights for about three bills.

I speak, of course, about the M&P.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It still has its place. But that place is getting smaller and smaller. IMHO 20 years ago it was great. slightly hotter than the 45, but with a flatter trajectory. The only downside (for me at least) was that was a snappy round, and follow up shots took longer.

Fast forward to today with advances in ammo, and that advantage is not so clear. Modern defensive ammo advances are making the 9mm more and more effective, negating some of the gains a 40 would get you.

Two years ago I sold off all of my 40s. My P91DC was a tack driver, but just too damned heavy and it just sat in the vault. I wasnt accurate with my G23 or G27. I traded for a G19 and G42. Best move ever. I'm now more accurate overall, and followup shots come quicker.

I wont look down on anyone that likes the 40. If you like it and it works for you, great. But I do know a lot of people are settling on the 9 for capacity or the 45 for power. I think eventually the 40 will go the way of the 10mm; a niche caliber that few die hards will own for their specific personal reasons.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I think so, its been far outpaced by the 9MM as far as self defense rounds are concerned and the .40 causes increased wear and tear on guns. That and the calibers funny nickname the 40 short and weak.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have 2 CZ's in 40. They are tack drivers and recoil is very manageable. Being a dyed in the wool 1911 guy my help with this.
    I do like them.

zcam630

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Somewhere
    Thanks, I guess you forgot to send me the memo to off load my G23 and G27 a while ago! Lol. Trying to get into a couple of G19's

It still has its place. But that place is getting smaller and smaller. IMHO 20 years ago it was great. slightly hotter than the 45, but with a flatter trajectory. The only downside (for me at least) was that was a snappy round, and follow up shots took longer.

Fast forward to today with advances in ammo, and that advantage is not so clear. Modern defensive ammo advances are making the 9mm more and more effective, negating some of the gains a 40 would get you.

Two years ago I sold off all of my 40s. My P91DC was a tack driver, but just too damned heavy and it just sat in the vault. I wasnt accurate with my G23 or G27. I traded for a G19 and G42. Best move ever. I'm now more accurate overall, and followup shots come quicker.

I wont look down on anyone that likes the 40. If you like it and it works for you, great. But I do know a lot of people are settling on the 9 for capacity or the 45 for power. I think eventually the 40 will go the way of the 10mm; a niche caliber that few die hards will own for their specific personal reasons.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It is slowly but surely losing popularity. I own and carry a forty and will keep it. I had no trouble finding it in 2008, 2012, and will likely be able to find cartridges and bullets in 2016. I see no reason to completely dispose of the caliber as it is a viable option.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It is slowly but surely losing popularity. I own and carry a forty and will keep it. I had no trouble finding it in 2008, 2012, and will likely be able to find cartridges and bullets in 2016. I see no reason to completely dispose of the caliber as it is a viable option.

It's still my edc when i conceal.

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    I had bought my shield in 40 only because shield were still pretty hard to come by and I just jumped on it. I have debated about getting rid of it for the 9 version but then I ask myself why. My wife owns the Shield in 9 and I have shot it some and I don't really notice that much of a difference in recoil. I haven't shot it enough or have done a side by side comparison to really determine which I shoot better with and the one round difference in the magazine doesn't really make much of a difference to me. Then again I have thought recently about just getting rid of the shield all together and going for the compact to go along with my full size m&p 9. Other than that I don't have a lot of experience with 40 caliber. I have heard the stories that it is just not worth the price difference from 9 but I did get lucky on buying Hornady Critical Defense for $10 a box thanks to Rural King getting a ton of it in and had it on clearance plus having a sale on extra x% off of clearance price and then added my wife's discount.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It is a pretty polarizing round. Some people love it while others hate it.

There can be noticeable energy gains of the .40 over the 9mm. I personally can't tell a big difference between the 2 calibers, but I am not very recoil sensitive. I think the caliber flame wars are silly because both calibers are "good enough" with decent ammo and good shot placement...but neither is obviously a rifle caliber ;)

I don't think it is going away any time soon. It could be an opportunity to buy a good pistol at a decent price.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I have 2 CZ's in 40. They are tack drivers and recoil is very manageable. Being a dyed in the wool 1911 guy my help with this.
    I do like them.

Completely agree. I've shot a couple of guns in .40 (FNX and Glock) and while they were okay, I was never attracted to the round. Traded for a CZ 40P and I love this gun. I have to say that after I got into 1911's, I've had a hard time enjoying shooting 9mm. This gun gives me something besides 1911's to shoot and still really enjoy it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I do like them.

Completely agree. I've shot a couple of guns in .40 (FNX and Glock) and while they were okay, I was never attracted to the round. Traded for a CZ 40P and I love this gun. I have to say that after I got into 1911's, I've had a hard time enjoying shooting 9mm. This gun gives me something besides 1911's to shoot and still really enjoy it.

See what CZ :koolaid: does to a person? :nuts:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Leaves more for me, as I am happy with the Glock 22/23/27 platform and EDC a G-27, while my G-23 is my most accurate Glock, and the" IF YOU COULD ONLY HAVE ONE"
    winner.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I like to have guns in calibers that you can find ammo for easily. I remember after Sandy Hook when ammo was drying up you could still find .40 everywhere. I also like the recoil of a .40 and I feel it's very manageable especially in a compact or fullsize gun. The only gun I didn't care for it in was the Glock 27 with a flush fit mag, I had to add the pinky extension to make it enjoyable, which is rare because I usually don' care for pinky extensions. But in my FNS-40 it was very enjoyable, my petite wife even enjoyed shooting that one. I was a 9mm or .45 guy for a long time, but once I tried .40 I liked it. I recently picked up an XDM in .40 that I will be hopefully putting some rounds through this weekend. It holds 16+1 rounds so I really can't complain about capacity on that one.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I am pursuing a CZ 75B full size in .40. I had one a couple of years ago and it was a great shooter. Probably the best platform I have every shot in .40. This is just to satisfy my winter carry needs until I can afford a Cajunized 97B.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If one was to do a side by side between a 40 and a 9 you would see the 9 as anemic to the 40.

We have performed the churchmouse non-scientific side by side between the 9/40/45 using identical 3/16" thick steel plates.

Using the same ammo in all 3 calibers (off the shelf Rem. UMC green) we ran each pistol on it's dedicated plate.

The 9mm left noticeable splatters on the steel but no discernible damage.

The 40 made dents in the steel the exact size of the flat nose of the round on every impact. Not deep but very obvious.

The 45 beat the steel concave. Not a lot but enough that you could see it if you looked.
    No dent but it did hammer the crap out of the plate.

My observations from this very non-scientific test kept me from ever even considering a 9MM until recently with my being slipped some of the CZ :koolaid: and succumbing to the CZickness. I do like the CZ offerings a lot but the 9mm round has yet to really win me over.
    One of the CZ's is a suppressor host and that is why I picked it up.

The 40 has some serious zipp to it.

Top Bottom