• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    I am getting ready to buy a carry gun. I really like the Beretta PX4 Subcompact in 9mm (13 round mag). I have other handguns in 9mm also, so it would be good to use the same ammo. However, I was in Gander Mountain looking for something, and I was amazed to see how much of the .45 ammo they had there. I couldn't find any 9mm ammo there. (Maybe it is just temporary.) I thought 9mm was supposed to be the most common in the world. That doesn't mean anything though if I can't find ammunition. Most of the 9mm I found online was +P. That won't do me any good either.
    I am also looking at the Bersa UC 45 Pro (but only 7-8 round mag). The main reason that I am still considering the Bersa is because of the availability of ammo. The 45 cal ammo seems to be much more available.

I would appreciate hearing any opinions. Thanks.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I wouldn't weigh too much or make that a reason to change calibers because you see more 45 right now. I see 9mm around too but like everything you just have to look a little. It is starting to balance out barring any other issue that causes folks to loose their minds again.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I am getting ready to buy a carry gun. I really like the Beretta PX4 Subcompact in 9mm (13 round mag). I have other handguns in 9mm also, so it would be good to use the same ammo. However, I was in Gander Mountain looking for something, and I was amazed to see how much of the .45 ammo they had there. I couldn't find any 9mm ammo there. (Maybe it is just temporary.) I thought 9mm was supposed to be the most common in the world. That doesn't mean anything though if I can't find ammunition. Most of the 9mm I found online was +P. That won't do me any good either.
    I am also looking at the Bersa UC 45 Pro (but only 7-8 round mag). The main reason that I am still considering the Bersa is because of the availability of ammo. The 45 cal ammo seems to be much more available.

I would appreciate hearing any opinions. Thanks.

+100 on the PX4 SC in 9mm! :yesway::yesway:

Snag a couple of the PX4 Compact 15 rnd mags with spacers. Great addition and it makes the SC a full handful, very nice.

Beretta's paddle holster for the SC is top quality too.

The Rural King's in Evansville have had 9mm on a regular basis.

Last edited:

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    9mm seems to be on the shelves at the Gander Mtn in Evansville on a regular basis. I assume it was only a temporary outage at the location you visited.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Im seeing it regularly now as well. Not always on the shelf, but I no longer go into the stores EXPECTING to see it missing.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I haven't seen much 9mm in Bloomington, but occasionally Wally World has some. They've also raise their prices, unfortunately. Even Tula is over $10.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    i bought 2 boxes of winchester for $15 at wal mart a couple weeks ago. seeing it at gander mountain for $19.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Wal-mart has been hit and miss. I recently bought a couple boxes of Remington at $14.99 a box. 100 round box of Federals for $22.99 a month or so ago, and several 100 round WWB in the past few months for around $24. My LGS's have it in stock all the time, if you want to pay $20 for a box of 50. Still less than .45 for the most part.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    .40 cal has basically been available this whole time...too bad i dont own any .40's....maybe thats why

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Mostly carry self defense ammo. It is expensive and most - in skilled hands - is very letal. Shot placement is critical. Muscle memory on delivery and practice. Cost of practice is from using same ammo as carry ammo. So availability isnt as important. Find good sound self defense ammo and dont worry bout the rest.

mugable

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I've seen 9mm in most of the chain stores around here. Walmart, Gander Mountain, etc. Prices are a little high but what else is new.
    I usually buy mine online though.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That's the great paradox of 9mm. Lots of folks buy it because it's the most common round and should be readily available only to find out that since lots of people shoot 9mm, it's the first to disappear from store shelves. I like to diversify my caliber selection. Owning a single caliber makes a lot of sense if you stockpile that one type of ammo, but if you buy it as you shoot it, you should probably add a second caliber to your collection to make your ammo supply a bit more resilient. The more calibers you own, the more options you have when ammo shopping.

BTW, this is one area in which Glock really shines. If you own a Glock 23 and buy 9mm and 357 Sig barrels, you can stock all the .40 you want and yet still have the ability to shoot 2 other calibers if you need to using just one gun. Or, buy a Glock 23, 19, 30s, 32 and 38 and you have the same feel across multiple calibers (which maximizes the benefit of training with any one of those) that all use the same carry gear. It's the ultimate in resilience in ammo supply.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    go for the 9mm! It's a potent enough round, and affordable enough to practice with a bit. I love .40 and .45, but at near $.50 a shot, that's not a lot of range time before running up a big bill. 9mm is usually $.20-.30 / rd (I regularly find Federal 100rd at walmart for $23)
    Online places are starting to get back 9mm on the shelves if you ever want to do a bulk purchase

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    9mm can be found but not as easy as in the past, it's also the least expensive but not by much. I also seen a lot of .45 acp but just like anything else that can change very quickly.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    That's the great paradox of 9mm. Lots of folks buy it because it's the most common round and should be readily available only to find out that since lots of people shoot 9mm, it's the first to disappear from store shelves. I like to diversify my caliber selection. Owning a single caliber makes a lot of sense if you stockpile that one type of ammo, but if you buy it as you shoot it, you should probably add a second caliber to your collection to make your ammo supply a bit more resilient. The more calibers you own, the more options you have when ammo shopping.

BTW, this is one area in which Glock really shines. If you own a Glock 23 and buy 9mm and 357 Sig barrels, you can stock all the .40 you want and yet still have the ability to shoot 2 other calibers if you need to using just one gun. Or, buy a Glock 23, 19, 30s, 32 and 38 and you have the same feel across multiple calibers (which maximizes the benefit of training with any one of those) that all use the same carry gear. It's the ultimate in resilience in ammo supply.

I agree with this, and it is the reason that I'm keeping my Glock .40's even after having recently picked up their 9mm Glock counterparts. I also have 22 LR AA kits. They all fit the same carry gear, and have the same mode of operation, but also gives me some choices.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Natchez Shooters Supply just sent me an email that they have lots of 9mm on sale, Multiple different brands and types. Small quantities and large. Maybe that will help you if the local gun shop does not have what you need. Good Luck

Top Bottom