• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    There are plenty more rules than just the "gun handling" rules. Use of proper ammo, for example. Putting a "Ruger only" load in a Charter Arms is definitely breaking a safety rule, but you'll only make it once per revolver.

How many of us learned about the safety of sufficient scope eye relief the hard way....

Me. A long long time ago.

I got lucky. I had a knowledgeable person explain the dangers of getting 'ring around the eyeball' before I discovered it on my own!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    It always gets me when I see a gun at a gun show, and it looks good from a distance, but then when I pick it up, I realize that a former owner ignored one important gun rule:

A butter knife is NOT a proper gun-smithing tool.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Last I heard we were trying to cut it down from 4 rules to 3. Now there's talk of adding a 5th rule?

Get it together people.

Shhhh! We add a fifth rule, and then we sacrifice it to ATM and his co-conspirators to appease them and we end up with four rules!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Last I heard we were trying to cut it down from 4 rules to 3...

No WE weren't.

IMHO, those that practice the Four Rules will have the respect and understanding for what they are dealing with. There will be no issue with unauthorized access.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Umm.....Sylvain???

Technically I can only give French kisses.I cannot not French kiss. :dunno:

And that 5th rule the OP is proposing is just common sense and should be applied to all your valuables, not just guns.

Don't leave guns unattended.Same way you wouldn't leave a laptop (or your wallet) unnatended at a café table as you go to the restroom.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Last I heard we were trying to cut it down from 4 rules to 3...

We did. One that had crept in there as a safe gun handling rule was shown to be unnecessary nonsense to be discarded.

Some will still repeat it as it was repeated to them, but it can't be defended rationally nor is there any need to try "following" it. ;)

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Just now having a chance to get back to the thread. Thought about this when going through an audio series by Claude Werner recently, "Serious Mistakes Gunowners Make." In it, Claude identifies 11 categories of "mistakes," most of which could be avoided by a lifestyle of adherence to Cooper's 4 rules.

Of the other categories, two - lost/stolen guns and unauthorized access, could be mitigated with proper storage - faily simple.

There were also a few that could be mitigated by folks having a proper understanding of firearms and self-defense law.

daventos

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 23, 2017
    Bedford
    I got lucky. I had a knowledgeable person explain the dangers of getting 'ring around the eyeball' before I discovered it on my own!

I was lucky and learned from others as well. A guy came to work one day with his eye cut and swollen. If I pick up anything bigger than a .22 with a scope I automatically picture him.

Top Bottom