repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    YES! They are quite happy indeed.

I don't like them only because most you can find are Made in China "one size fits most" nylon junk.

Depends on where you look for them. There are more then enough tacticool places now in the US that make gear that you should be able to find one, if you look hard enough. I know the one i wore overseas was US made. Still upset that I turned that in, as well as the Eagle Chest Rig that I had. Those were already fixed up perfect. Should have just claimed i lost them and paid up.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I'm getting one for run&gun. that's the only place i'd ever wear it though..so BACON!

IWB for every day, and a paddle with retention for range fun. Get the gear to suit your needs, man....

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    In my experience, anytime I've asked myself "does this make me look stupid?", the answer has always been "yes."

I've got a drop-leg holster, but I never use it. I'll break it out if there's ever a zombie apocalypse, or complete collapse such as might be expected from a severe weather or geologic incident (for example, Yellowstone going up), but beyond that it just doesn't fit my day-to-day life.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Walking around in public yeah it's kind of over the top. However that type of holster would be useful in a shtf situation or a class you have to run in.

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    I would like one for my colt railgun and a tlr-1 for carrying while hunting so would have a light on the gun and it would not be buried under clothes and a pack. They have practicle uses, but mostly would be seen in the law enforcemet field still i feel they can benefit others.

If your looking for a gun specific one made in the USA Blade Tech and Safariland both made them.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I used one when I had an M-16 as a primary and an M9 Beretta as a backup. The drop leg allowed me to use the rifle sling without it getting caught on the handle of the pistol.

It was a blackhawk, and worked really well for what I wanted it for. I sold it when I came back stateside, though. Didn't figure I'd ever carry an M9 again, and don't have much call for a drop leg these days. It'd just get my Dockers all wrinkly on the pants leg...

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Hey...wear what you dig. People might wonder if you are around to serve a warrant or think you might be preparing for urban combat. With this things aside, have fun with your new purchase!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I recommend that you adopt the position of doing what works for you and understanding that if anyone doesn't like the looks of it, they are not obligated to look at you. I do not, however, understand (as implied in the thread title) how a dropleg holster would make a person excessively happy.
    ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ I bought one, because I thought they were "cool", and now, I hardly EVER wear it. If it works for you, then by all means use it !!!!! They just don't "look as cool" as they once did. :twocents:

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    If a drop leg is worn properly, they can be great holsters that serve a purpose. Drop leg holsters should have the muzzle of the weapon no lower than your second knuckle on your holster side when your arms are held down to your side naturally. This is not how they are commonly worn. If you wear it like this it will be about 4-5 inches lower than a belt holster. This allows for your gear not to get in the way of your gun/holster and allow you more flexibility.

Just ask Rob Pincus!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hb6wqhuKkQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hb6wqhuKkQ[/ame]

And as explained by Rob, the only reason you need a drop leg is to get it out of the way of your tac vest or a similar piece of equipment. If you have this kind of need, go for it.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    If a drop leg is worn properly, they can be great holsters that serve a purpose. Drop leg holsters should have the muzzle of the weapon no lower than your second knuckle on your holster side when your arms are held down to your side naturally. This is not how they are commonly worn. If you wear it like this it will be about 4-5 inches lower than a belt holster. This allows for your gear not to get in the way of your gun/holster and allow you more flexibility.

Just ask Rob Pincus!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hb6wqhuKkQ

And as explained by Rob, the only reason you need a drop leg is to get it out of the way of your tac vest or a similar piece of equipment. If you have this kind of need, go for it.

A great video with a lot of great advice. Most people have theirs on the knee or so it seems, and others do not have it tightened around the leg as much as they need it to. It needs to be tight enough that its just about cutting into the leg so its not moving itself around. Helps if you have the straps that use the bungee/rubber material, so you can tighten it up, and as your leg flexes and bends, it moves with it. :twocents:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I liked the Pincunus video! I might have to take a look at that drop leg holster my buddy gave me again. Maybe with a little cutting and stiching I can use it on the range. The Sig with light stays in our bedside safe and at the range I take the gun to the firing line in a case. This might provide an alternative.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Just one drop leg holster,why not on both legs. Ala Lara Croft style.
    lara-croft.1264716.jpg

Lethgar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    Not gay, but 90% of the tacticools who own them either:
    1. Don't need them (no chest rig, no need for a drop holster to clear it)
    or
    2. Wear it so dang low they can hardly run or draw the weapon correctly.

If you need one, pick up a good one (Safariland, etc) and wear it just low enough to clear your gear. If not, a strong side kydex rig would serve you much better.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    If I used it regularly, I'd like it more. I have 2 safariland holsters with identical retention, one belt, one drop leg for my USP tac 45. The belt holster won't fully clear a 3a full wrap vest so I'm trying to get used to the drop leg with mixed results.

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    All this drop leg holster talk and no one has pulled out the pic of the guy in the gun shop with a high point dangling from his leg so loosely that 4 year old girls use him as a right of passage....I'd do it myself but lost the pic in a boating accident.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    If you don't believe Pincus, Trust in Travis!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNSn19NnxLI&feature=g-vrec"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNSn19NnxLI&feature=g-vrec[/ame]

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Yes.

If you are wearing a rig that yields a tactical advantage to a drop-leg holster, it does not matter if it looks gay - it works.

If you are not, you are looking gay for no reason.

Top Bottom