Is anyone else Playing Dayz (zombie survival game)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I've been playing the heck out of Dayz lately.

DayZ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    It's phenomenally hard. Pretty much you start with a compression bandage, a flashlight and a box of pain pills. You then sneak around and scavenge for food/drink/weapons/medical supplies until you get killed by zombies/falling/hypothermia/disease/starvation/dehydration/other players.

I've been playing first person shooters since Wolfenstein 3d and this is easily the hardest game I have ever played.

Any INGOers skulking around on Dayz?

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    I play, but you won't find me anywhere near Electro, Cherno, or the NW Airfield. Pretty much mostly in the woods except for targets for opportunity. Haven't done too bad, my group has only killed one guy, but he shot first.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I raided the nw airfield tonight. I found three or four survivors' bodies (hard to tell with at least two of them in a pile with a bunch of zed). I got a bunch of good loot, and got out to the woods before calling it a night.

I want to find a helicopter crash site tomorrow. I have found two in the past and one time found really good guns, second time found nothing.

The two things I really want to find is a ghillie suit and NV goggles. A silenced pistol would be nice too.

I have killed two survivors on this go. One with a Lee enfield from quite a distance. I really just shot him to see if I could hit him.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Helicopter crashes are tough, they random spawn. Just run around looking for open areas, but if you find one I would recommend having company. They are sniper magnets.

I don't know how much a ghillie suit will help you, from what I understand you pretty much have to hide right in front of a pine tree (unless they've fixed it). Might try setting a trap like what happened to a friend of mine, someone left a ghillie suit in the middle of the road, he stopped to look and BANG (I'm assuming you're a PVP'er by your earlier post).

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    No demo, you have to buy Arma II then download the alpha. It's in it's really early stages of development (there's updates about every week). That being said, the developer has said his goal is a standalone game, being updated on a regular basis like Minecraft.

It's definitely not a typical first person shooter. It's very atmospheric, you have to consider a lot of facts for survival (food, water, etc.). It's realistic enough that you can find the north star to get bearings, and also use your watch with shadows. If you fall, you'll break your leg, getting hit means bleeding out, possibly going unconscious and only being able to watch yourself die. Haven't even gotten into being shot at by others.

But if you like creeping around and scoping an area out before you try to sneak in undetected, and the tension of coming face to face with another survivor and trying to determine if they're going to shoot you in the back or give you food, it's a blast.

One thing, never ever get attached to your loot. ;)

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Usually pretty small, it's in the alpha stage. The one nice thing is they're always trying to make it better (note - that doesn't mean easier or more balance though).

Don't know if they have PvP in Fallout, but it adds a very psychological component to the game. 90% of the time, it's not the zombies you have to worry about, it's the other survivors (especially in the bigger coastal cities). Check out a map of the world, it's HUGE, you may have to run for two hours, finding water/food along the way just to meet up with your group (if you have one and get separated).

Total freedom to do what you want though, there's nothing to stop you from camping out in the woods raiding cities, being a bandit and killing other survivors for the loot, ganking new spawns on the beach or sniping unsuspecting players that may to try to get some high quality gear. It really is a SHTF simulator (except without the real life death).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I just recently heard about this game, i think we were looking at the mod version? it was called Day z or something like that. It looked intresting, and seemed like there were huge maps

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I played it for a bit, but I got tired of them adding new features without fixing any issues with existing features.

As it stands, it's a little too buggy for my taste.

alexanjl12

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Westside Indy
    looks cool. Can I DL the 'free' Arma II from steam, then go get this and play?

you can use the free Arma 2, however you still have to have Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead. I have heard that only using the free version of Arma 2 makes the graphics lower res.

Considering that the Arma game was at the top of Steam sale charts for 7 weeks because of this mod, I am betting that it will at least see 50% off sometime during the summer sale

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Just got DayZ and have tried to play it the past two days. The game could be so much better.

I've died about 7 times so far, and can't find any weapons. Only ammo and road flairs. And last night, I made it to the middle of a big town, and found an open church. I was walking around inside looking at the drops, and someone killed me from outside. Bastard.

Also, the zombies run too fast, and never stop chasing you. If you are lucky enough to find a building where you can shut the door, they still are able to run right through it.

I know this game is Alpha, or Beta. But still, how are people even still able play this game?

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    I've tried to go through the training, but there was always a bug that stopped me. One was the medical training. I could pick up the guy, but I couldn't drag him. And the other was the RPG, I shot the wrong ammo, or used it all. Or blew up the tank with the wrong kind of ammo, and needed other ammo, but there were no targets left.

And then the helicopter test. I got to the area where the marker was, but it wouldn't ever do anything. So this game is very very buggy, or I just don't pay enough attention to what needs to really be done.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Training was hard, got to the point that I'd do the first aid section first and save when I had completed each individual step. VTOL was the hardest for me. I 'cheated' on the MOUT course by getting an M16 with ACOG and never getting close to the folks who were shooting at us. Took me a bit to get the last guy, but he was toast once I found him.

Top Bottom