Is anyone on here from Howard Co Animal Control or an LEO?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    I'm looking for someone in/from Howard County who's familiar with the Animal Shelter there. We had Benji in at the Vet again today (his Pancreas is acting up again, they think?) and we ran into a couple who'd adopted a dog from the Howard Co Shelter. She was the CUTEST little female mixed breed dog, with a birth defect, so no one else wanted her. One of her front legs had a congenital birth defect and wasn't formed properly, so it was basically useless. But she hobbled around on the other 3 quite well.

She was ADORABLE!!!! Sweet tempered, friendly, loves to give kisses, and generally a great "family" dog. They work in unison with our vet, so they're bringing her back in tomorrow, after the results of the blood work come back, to amputate the malformed leg. She'll be fine, I've seen many dogs with only 3 legs, live a long and healthy life. The only problem is 1) I have no idea where Howard Co is....and 2) I have to talk Bill into another dog. But this one would be for me, to fill the gap my female mixed breed left when she had to cross over Rainbow Bridge.

We'd be giving an unwanted pup (this one is about 10 months old) a good and loving home, pamper and spoil her, treat her like a queen, and I'd be a happy camper! No other dog could fill Mischas gap, (she passed in late 09) but she'd be good making a place of her own in my heart. I took one look at her and got a serious case of "I WANT"! And to take in a dog like that and give it a good home, would be a great way to spread the love!

I think the other 3 would love a little female to fuss over, and she could sleep with me when Bills at work (and probably when he's home too). :) To me this sounds like a great idea, but I do have to admit that I have a tendency to come home with anything I fall in love with, at least in the 4 legged animal world.

So, does anyone know about this program, or about the Howard Co Animal Shelters "adopt a disabled dog" program? Please let me know if you do, and how I can get ahold of them if I can talk Bill into it. It's worth a try, and at least I think it's a great idea! Either let me know on here, or PM me with the info to increase the members of our family. :D

Thanks for your help!
    7th Stepper

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Call 765-507-7023 (natural touch grooming) and tell her that her BIL told you to call. She's nutty about animals and will either know or know who to call.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Call 765-507-7023 (natural touch grooming) and tell her that her BIL told you to call. She's nutty about animals and will either know or know who to call.

Howard County is where Kokomo is located, Straight North of Indy about an hour'ish on US-31...

These should be a good start to what you are looking for...
    Howard County, Indiana
    Kokomo Humane Society
    Kokomo Humane Society

AhHa! I finally figured out how to make my computer do multi quotes! :cool:

Thanks guys, I REALLY appreciate it! Now come the hard parts (yea, there's more than 1)
    1) Talking Bill into it (he's ok with talking about it so far......Xfingers)
    2) Getting our "big boy" to accept another dog (he's kinda antisocial, which is also why I want a female)
    and worse of all
    3) Getting me in and out of there without trying to bring every last dog in there home with me. Sitting in the middle of the aisle, crying hysterically cuz how can someone abandon something (to us their just like kids) like that, or be mean to them???? Bill usually brings a huge box of kleenex with us. and
    4) letting the pup pick me, rather than me picking them. I've always found that if the animal is to be truly yours, he/she has to pick you, not vice versa. Benji is "our" dog, a combo of mine and our daughters, but there's no doubt who he prefers more, and he started out as my Therapy dog, now he's hers. But he still loves "gramma" too.

So I guess I'll just have to "buck up" gather up my courage, and make a run up there to see what they've got. I do know they have a ton at the moment, they had to remove over 100 from a "horder", and most of the dogs are feral, so they can't be adopted out. THAT I won't tackle, I'm good, but even I know my own limits.

You learn that lesson very quickly when working with horses, cuz if you get in over your head, you're dealing with something that outweighs you by possibly 1000 lbs! I made that booboo once, with my Running Quarter (cross between a Quarter Horse and a Thoroubred), NEVER made it again!

My Stock Quarter was my easiest, nothing spooked that horse, and she was built like a tank, and my Tennessee Walker was my sweetest, she followed me around like a puppy and loved to give me kisses whenever she could. So yes, you might say I'm an animal nut, but I love them all! Well, minor exception, I love cats, but my nose hates them, so do my eyes, they get all red and runny. Wish me luck! And thanks for the help!
    Hugs!
    7th Stepper

Last edited:
    Top Bottom