• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    It just seems too...easy. How do you guys feel about this product?

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have been using it with a gun that recommends that very product in the owners manual. It should be sufficient if they are asking for it. It could be dependent on the materials. My gun is all stainless. I use motor oil on a zinc gun I own because break-free seems just too thin for the soft zinc. Not that I have even tried the break-free on the softer guns, It could surprise me there too.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    It just seems too...easy. How do you guys feel about this product?

I use CLP, but only as a quick maintenance solution. I still routinely break down my guns and clean them with q-tips and hoppes. I guess I'm just a little bit anal like that tho

jacob.white27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Spencer, In
    We used it in the military on all our rifles...but you still need to break it down from time to time and give it a good scrub. I am now using Mpro7 onall of my rifles and pistols. However like any gun oil /cleaner make sure you wipe off all the excess or youll get build up quickly...and that slim/sticky feeling.

Tuffenough22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    We still use CLP in the Army. I use it at home on all my guns, because we have a lot of it since my dad is in the Army too. Plus I'm too cheap to go buy oil. I've never had a problem with it, but I break my weapons down after I shoot them, and clean them thoroughly with q-tips.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    We still use CLP in the Army. I use it at home on all my guns, because we have a lot of it since my dad is in the Army too. Plus I'm too cheap to go buy oil. I've never had a problem with it, but I break my weapons down after I shoot them, and clean them thoroughly with q-tips.

Sooooooo...... you RELOCATE it :D

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Breakfree CLP is a great cleaner, lube, and rust protector as they claim. While it can be used as an all around cleaner, I still use Hoppes 9 spiked with a little ammonia for bore cleaning, but I do run a patch soaked in CLP after using the Hoppes and am amazed at how much more it gets out.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    So can I just buy Ballistol/breakfree (CLPs) and use it to clean the whole thing? Sounds fine in theory:

Spray inside, clean it out, spray on a cloth and rub the outside, everything's good? So just Ballistol, a bore brush, an old tooth brush and some cotton swabs/rags? And grease on the rails.

Last edited:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Love CLP. I still use a bore cleaner like Outers or Hoppe's #9 but everything I own gets the CLP treatment. I especially like it for my rifles and shotguns since they tend to get shot, cleaned and then put up for a while. I use M-Pro7 for lube on my pistols after cleaning but they still get the wipe-down with CLP just for good measure.

Indyhandgunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    CLPs great, especially as a rust protector. Everything gets a wipe down in CLP before I'm finished cleaning it. Put it on hangun rails too. I usually use something thinner like rem oil for internal parts.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I use CLP on firearms like the AR where it is approved. Old firearms that were originally maintained with Lubriplate, (M1, M14, etc), I still use Lubriplate. The CLP seems to work fine on the AR bolt carrier and general parts. I still use HOPPES bore cleaner on my barrels. HOPPES will clean out the copper deposits. I do not think CLP even claims to do that. I have tried CLP in a barrel, and it does remove carbon fouling. Breakfree CLP is a pretty good product. We have a lot of good products on the market, I do not think you can really go wrong with any of them. Good Luck

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Back when I was first learning about firearm maintenance, CLP and cold water rinse were the ONLY things allowed to clean and maintain my M16A2, M9, M590, M249, etc.

So, yes, it's sufficient. There's better stuff, but it really doesn't matter all that much. If you spend more than 15 minutes obsessing over lube A vs. Lube B, you're wasting time.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I use tri-flow to lube all of my guns internally and externally. I use a foam cleaner to get the lead or copper out of the barrel, Believe its made by hoppes. Seems to do the job.

I had a shotgun slug barrel put up from hunting season and coated with tri-flow back in mar 2004. My house caught fire on mar 8 2004 and it took 10000 gals to put it out. That barrel was soaked down and layed there wet over a weekend (house froze) and then the following monday i started sifting through the rubble and there wasnt a speck of rust on that barrel. I still use that sllug barrel every year for shotgun deer season.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    In my opinion CLP with work for most weapons using non-corrosive ammo and is really all you need for moderate length storage if you clean and lube your guns well immediately after firing. However I do have and use old military weapons and some corrosive ammo so have several cleaners in addition to CLP - also like Sheath for longer storage. However my 1950's cleaning kit for my 22 LR was a length of braided fishing line, a bobby pin, torn cotton rags - kerosene or gasoline for solvent and 3 in one oil for lube. Looking back I never did have any rust or problems using that. The 12 gage kit was the same except bigger rags:)

Top Bottom