• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hotwired

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    OK I bought a Bushmaster M17S in original condition, its an awesome rifle to shoot, BUT.... I dont like the carry and charging handle as they are in present form and the iron sights SUCK. I want to mod it like the ones from K&M aerospace. Is this a bad thing? Here is what I have planned.

Remove the carry and charge handles and replace with a low profile charging handle and .60" picatinny rail milled for clearance over the cooling vents
    Mill cooling slots to the area where the gas piston resides
    add folding back up sights
    add 3-4X reddot style optic
    add rail and Magpul AFG2

I know the extreme purists will say that its bad, but I want to make it a more usefull and better ergonomic rifle.

Will it destroy the value of the rifle?

Iwant to go from this,

2ev6u07.jpg

to this with a smaller optic (This is someones elses rifle pic)

2wpo4gg.jpg

Thanks, I am looking for your opinions

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I say go for it. It's not like it's a historic piece with nazi markings a jap mum and a signed letter from John Wayne saying it's from his personal collection.

Do it.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Is it even possible to own a EBR without bubba'ing it? I would go ahead and do what you have planned...I think it would be an improvent as well.

With the possible exception of a truly historical firearm such as the 03 issued to Sgt York or the revolver used by Ruby I see nothing wrong with modifying any firearm.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    Some guns are meant to be bubba'd .... anything synthetic in my opinion. But a rifle with nice wood and deep blue on the barrel....I like to see those closer to original.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Hotwired (et alia),

Modifying the firearm will reduce the collectable value of the firearm, thus reducing the maximum value of the rifle over the long run.

I am a purist. However, too many people take this as an attack on "my ability to do what I want with MY stuff!" I agree 100% that you bought it and may do as you will. But my belief in your right to do what you want with what you own does not alter the other reality that modifications reduce the value of an item.

This is not just firearms, but anything that may become collectable! Just watch the "Antique Road Show" and you will see that well meaning people have ruined antiques by trying to clean them up. Or devalued them by making alterations in the past.

I am specifically talking dollar value here. This rifle will never be worthless. However, it will be worth much less in 100 years v/s a rifle of its same type that was never modified at all.

In the very end the maximum dollar paid for items is always by collectors! Not people who want to use something, but by people who have the money to buy rare and unique items. The money is always higher for an original configuration rather than what "Bubba did to it fer huntin."

As this is a modern rifle and more may be made it doesn't bother me (even as a purist) to modify it. Where I do get a little more antsy is when the weapon in question will never be made again. What is out there is all there will be until the end of time. THEN when Bubba hits this means that there is one less in the world and there is zero chance it will ever be replaced.

The question you really have to ask yourself is what you intend to do with your firearms in the long run??? How old are you? How long will you hold onto most of your firearms before you plan on selling them off? If you have children do you intend to leave them with firearms that will hold maximum value of just appreciate slightly?

IF you are truly looking to keep this rifle as a good shooter AND investment, do NOT modify. IF you plan to have fun with this rifle and make a bit of money on it or an even wash years down the road, mod away.

Regards,

Doug (The Purist;))

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.

I am specifically talking dollar value here. This rifle will never be worthless. However, it will be worth much less in 100 years v/s a rifle of its same type that was never modified at all.

Agreed with above, but I say Bubba Away! Make sure you do it right and all is well in the cosmos in my book. Then we need to get together and let our Bullpups play some time. If you don't have an AFG already and want to borrow mine to see how you would like it before you mod let me know. I like them.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    How will doing this change its value? same way I look at it with cars...

how valuable is it to a buyer unmodified vs modified?
    how valuable is it to me unmodified vs modified?
    how likely am I to use it and want the modifications when I use it?
    how likely am I to sell it?

for my car, I know I diminished the value to a buyer by swapping a manual transmission, but its more valuable to me because I use it a lot and I want a manual when I use it. I am pretty unlikely to sell it, so I decided to do it.

with your rifle, you will probably diminish its value to a buyer, but if you use it for hunting and you want the mods to it when you hunt, its more valuable to you modified. if you have it as a SHTF rifle, you'll for sure want the modifications that make it something that YOU have personalized, not something that is generic and worth a lot of money to a collector.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Modifying the firearm will reduce the collectable value of the firearm

As always any statement made as an absolute will generally be flawed. There are some very nice sporterized K-98s, P17s and 1903s out there that are worth more than the gun was worth originally. There are so many examples of just about every gun in both museums and private collection I doubt there will ever be a "last surviving example" of any mass produced firearm. While a kitchen table bubba job may detract from the value a well done sporterization by a name gunsmith may well increase the value.

Unless the firearm has a unique historical providence I feel it is fair game for sporterizing.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The term "bubba" ("bubba-ing" "bubba'd") to me carries with it a negative connotation implying lack of forethought and/or quality of the parts selection or execution. Synonyms would include "Adding crap for crap's sake" or "hacked up."

Modifications done well and with purpose using quality components do not fall into this category, even if they lessen the collectibility or historical value of the gun. As an example, there are a TON of sporterized Mausers and '03 Springfields out there that look great, function well and serve the needs of their owners quite admirably.

My :twocents:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Modifying any firearm is more the choice of the owner, with the knowledge that he or she might be the only one who appreciates the modification and might never be able to sell that firearm to anyone else.

As long as you want to make the modification and aren't worried about the possibility that you might never be able to sell it, or have a very hard time selling it, then go ahead and follow your heart.

On the other hand if your head is telling you you are worried about what the mods might do to the value, then maybe you shouldn't make any modifications that you can't unmake.

Think first, like measure twice and cut once.

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    If the rifle is totally original, and in any way vintage/historic, I leave it alone. Such a thing cannot be remade.

If the rifle has, in the course of its life prior to my acquiring it, already been modified, then I can do what I want to it.

It has nothing to due with value for me. It's much more about preserving the craftsmanship of an earlier age.

Hotwired

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Thanks guys, I decided to make it more useful to me and I am going to mod it. Im going to shoot the hell out of it, the changes are going to be tasteful, I don't like to carry an ugly boom stick.

kingstrider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    Most of the Marlins I've ever encountered in pawn shops were bubba-ized with see through rings and aftermarket sling swivels.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    The term "bubba" ("bubba-ing" "bubba'd") to me carries with it a negative connotation implying lack of forethought and/or quality of the parts selection or execution. Synonyms would include "Adding crap for crap's sake" or "hacked up."

Modifications done well and with purpose using quality components do not fall into this category, even if they lessen the collectibility or historical value of the gun. As an example, there are a TON of sporterized Mausers and '03 Springfields out there that look great, function well and serve the needs of their owners quite admirably.

My :twocents:

When I think bubba I see an sks with a side folder stock, a tactical rail super glued to the side with a laser on it and a flashlight duct taped to the other side. Quality, fit and finish make it appeal to others. Bottom line: Its your gun, your money and you only have to please yourself

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom