• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    I sold a lower AR-15 Assembly to an individual on Gun Broker. I do hot hold an FFL, but I shipped it to an FFL for the buyer. Now the buyer's FFL won't release the lower assembly to the buyer, until I send the buyer's FFL a copy of my drivers license. The buyer's FFL says it is a federal law that I include my drivers license. I could not find anything in BATF rules that say I have to include a copy of my drivers license. Does anyone know what the ruling is?

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    I looked and could not find anything to that effect. There is nothing on the front of my license that the dealer can use. My dvr. license # is not my SSN and they already have my address off the shipping carton. They are not getting a copy of the back of my license. I hate to do it, but frankly I am tired of the buyer calling me three times a day and the FFL refusing to release the lower assembly. Next time I am going to let my LGS ship for me and include his price in the shipping.

Last edited:

Nate715c

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Speedway
    From a quick search, many with same issue: Federal law? No. But if it's their policy probably no arguing. If it comes down to needing to send it, maybe send a copy with license number and all details aside from name and adress marked out?

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    The FFL already has my name and address from the shipping box. They can have my picture and the number will do them no good.

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    From a quick search, many with same issue: Federal law? No. But if it's their policy probably no arguing. If it comes down to needing to send it, maybe send a copy with license number and all details aside from name and adress marked out?

Nate, you have the right idea about it. I just sent them a copy of the front side and requested they email me when they received it.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    What I have done in the past in a situation like thisis to take a marker and mark over everything except my name and address.

Chuck

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    did you contact the buyers ffl before you shipped the lower? the dealer might want it for his records, since the dealer dosent know you, it covers his butt, now here's the bad part, if you dont send it, the dealer cant return the lower to you!, it would have to transfer to a dealer, so shipping, plus transfer, the lower will now cost you more than you paid for it!

so here are your options, fax him your drivers license and be done with it
    or
    pay the shipping back to your dealer(overnight shipping cause its a handgun!) and pay your dealer his transfer fee
    OR
    the dealer contacts the atf, and tells the you are dealing without a license, and be prepared for the knock on the door, and remember YOU have to prove you are not buying firearms for the intent of reselling them

fyi the shop i work at has the same policy, we will accept a firearm from a non ffl, IF they provide the same info as if you are buying a gun, ie picture id,city and state of birth,and we require your ssn(even though you dont have to fill it out on the 4473), these are the shops rules!, carved in stone!, no exception!, and if you dont do all that, expect a phone call asking for the missing info, and if you dont provide it, it will not be returned, and the atf will be called!

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Inform them that you will give them a copy of your DL in exchange for a copy of the federal law requiring it or they can ship your lower back to you at no cost to you.

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    I never heard of it and did a search and couldn't find anything close. They never said it was their policy. I complied just so they would release the lower assembly to my buyer. I've got a copy of their FFL and it's filed away. Chalk it up to a aggravating situation. Thanks for all your comments and advice.

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    did you contact the buyers ffl before you shipped the lower? the dealer might want it for his records, since the dealer dosent know you, it covers his butt, now here's the bad part, if you dont send it, the dealer cant return the lower to you!, it would have to transfer to a dealer, so shipping, plus transfer, the lower will now cost you more than you paid for it!

so here are your options, fax him your drivers license and be done with it
    or
    pay the shipping back to your dealer(overnight shipping cause its a handgun!) and pay your dealer his transfer fee
    OR
    the dealer contacts the atf, and tells the you are dealing without a license, and be prepared for the knock on the door, and remember YOU have to prove you are not buying firearms for the intent of reselling them

fyi the shop i work at has the same policy, we will accept a firearm from a non ffl, IF they provide the same info as if you are buying a gun, ie picture id,city and state of birth,and we require your ssn(even though you dont have to fill it out on the 4473), these are the shops rules!, carved in stone!, no exception!, and if you dont do all that, expect a phone call asking for the missing info, and if you dont provide it, it will not be returned, and the atf will be called!

The buyer's FFL contacted me and then sent me a copy of their license. They did not say that they needed a copy of my driver's license. IT was NOT a handgun. I filled out a form at the post office stating it was NOT a handgun, that it was not loaded, and I gave permission for the postal inspector (USPS) to examine the content of the box. The postal clerk also signed off on the form.
    The buyer called me and said he had been notified by his FFL dealer that his lower assembly (rifle) had arrived but he could not pick it up until I sent them a copy of my driver license. I contacted the buyer's FFL and said I would email them a copy of my drivers license. I ask them was that a Wyoming law or their policy. All they replied was that it is a federal law. Maybe that puts it in more of a perspective for you.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    So, let me get this straight. The Buyer was unable to obtain the item he bought in good faith because the Seller was REFUSING to provide valid identification of himself?

If the Seller is / was legit, why was that ever even an issue? :shady:

Well, sounds like it got rectified, and the Buyer got his item. :yesway:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I have run into the same problem a couple of times. The worst was an FFL who not only demanded my driver's license, but also wanted my SSN and kept calling me to tell me that the BATFE was going to send me to jail if I did not give it to him. I don't think he was a crook either, he was just convinced that it was required because there is a space in the record book for it. I kept trying to explain to him that since I was the seller that was shipping the gun to him there was no need to have that level of information on me, but he was terrified he was going to get in trouble. It is a lot easier to just sell locally and leave the dealers out of it.

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    I have run into the same problem a couple of times. The worst was an FFL who not only demanded my driver's license, but also wanted my SSN and kept calling me to tell me that the BATFE was going to send me to jail if I did not give it to him. I don't think he was a crook either, he was just convinced that it was required because there is a space in the record book for it. I kept trying to explain to him that since I was the seller that was shipping the gun to him there was no need to have that level of information on me, but he was terrified he was going to get in trouble. It is a lot easier to just sell locally and leave the dealers out of it.

Rob, you are 100% correct. I just wish posters on my thread would read my first post before they start going off on their tangents.

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    So, let me get this straight. The Buyer was unable to obtain the item he bought in good faith because the Seller was REFUSING to provide valid identification of himself?

If the Seller is / was legit, why was that ever even an issue? :shady:

Well, sounds like it got rectified, and the Buyer got his item. :yesway:

I am the seller. Read my posts.

Top Bottom