• ...and so much more!
  • Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Not a law, but seems to always be asked for by a receiving dealer to log into the firearm acquisition/Disposition book....look at it this way. If you trade one in or sell to a dealer locally..they will ask for it too....so what's the big deal....it gives them and law enforcement a link in the chain if something comes up stolen later on....

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I have no problem with a company requiring a DL to do a transfer but don't lie and say it's the law, be upfront about your policy and let the seller decide before they ship if they want to abide by the rules

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Not a law, but seems to always be asked for by a receiving dealer to log into the firearm acquisition/Disposition book....look at it this way. If you trade one in or sell to a dealer locally..they will ask for it too....so what's the big deal....it gives them and law enforcement a link in the chain if something comes up stolen later on....
    If the acquisition is from a dealer then yes, the last column does ask for either name and [FFL] license number - or - (if not a dealer) name and address from whom the firearm is received. There is no provision for drivers license in the book or in the law.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    When I worked at TSG I remember not buying a gun from someone because they wouldn't provide ID but he was told before we even looked at the gun he needed ID to sell it to the store

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    This is why FFL's do not like to accept guns through the mail from a non FFL.....This is why on gunbroker auctions you see wording like "make sure your ffl will accept a transfer from an individual".......It always ends up being a pain for all parties involved...I have also made folks fax me their drivers license...I have never said it is "the law" but I am clear that is my policy....

To the OP I am glad your local FFL will ship a gun for you on an auction...I did a couple of times and told the person I charge a flat $25 shipping fee (the same as I charge on my auctions) and invariably the individual will come back and say, I spoke to USPS/UPS/FEDEX or whomever and they said the shipping costs was only $19.99 and YOU charged me $25.00...I explain that I boxed up the gun, packaged it, took it the the local post office (which opens at 9:30 am, I open at 10 am and there is often a long line at the post office) and the $25 is a flat rate I charge and on many guns the actual shipping costs ends up being above the $25 rate I charge.....

I am not saying I am right but when it comes to having an FFL most of us (gun shop owners) realize that the media hates us, Pop Stars hate us, Hollywood hates us and judging from the comments here many of our customers hate us and think we are "a-holes". When you have that much of the public that wants to see you out of business it does make one a little over zealous in the covering of the rear portion of the anatomy.....

I had an ATF agent in the shop when a transfer from an individual came via USPS...There was no drivers license, no way for me to contact the person to get one, and a nearly illegible address and name on the box...The ATF agent and I did the best we could to translate the address (and they renewed my license 3 years later, so it is obviously not against the law) but I think this example shows why we like to have the drivers license...It's legible and not smeared by rain, rubbing against other boxes, or just poor handwriting....

All offered IMHO without saying I am right...Getting the DL is a preference for the reasons stated above but as far as I know it carries no weight of law....

I will not buy a gun from an individual without a drivers license or State ID at the shop.....I make a copy of the DL as it may be an hour or two before I can get a minute to put the gun in the bound book and I rubber band the copy of the DL around the gun and put it behind the counter...

Last edited:

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    If the acquisition is from a dealer then yes, the last column does ask for either name and [FFL] license number - or - (if not a dealer) name and address from whom the firearm is received. There is no provision for drivers license in the book or in the law.

I totally agree. This FFL dealer (receiver) already had my name, address, phone number, and email address, and the name of the buyer from the invoice I packed in the box containing the lower assembly. They sent me a copy of their FFL before I mailed the package. They had all my contact information, but never ask for a copy of my driver's license. I would have sent them a copy of my driver's license before I shipped, had they ask up front and I did send them a copy of my driver's license after they told the buyer they would not release his purchase from me until I sent them a copy of my driver's license. Plus, my name and address was in the "Return Address" section of the mailing label on the Priority Mail box.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County

True enough. But that's how they verify you are who you say you are DL or State issued ID card.....that's why it's asked for...

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    If that ffl dealer were in indiana, he would probably want to see your ltch before selling you a long gun!

Yea, no....an Indiana dealer only needs your DL/State issued ID card to run a nics check. Having a state issued ltch has no bearing on firearm purchases in Indiana

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    The dealer probably wants it so his books arent ****ed up. Big shock there. If you refused to give me your licence if you are having me transfer a gun for you, or provide some sort of photo ID i will tell you tough ****.

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    The dealer probably wants it so his books arent ****ed up. Big shock there. If you refused to give me your licence if you are having me transfer a gun for you, or provide some sort of photo ID i will tell you tough ****.

The buyer's FFL contacted me and then sent me a copy of their license. They did not say that they needed a copy of my driver's license. They had my name, address, phone number, and email address and never requested a copy of my driver's license.
    The buyer called me and said he had been notified by his FFL dealer that his lower assembly (rifle) had arrived but he could not pick it up until I sent them a copy of my driver license. The buyer contacted me and was very upset that he could not pick up his purchase. I immediately contacted the buyer's FFL and said I would email them a copy of my drivers license. I ask them was that a Wyoming law or their policy. All they replied was that it is a federal law. Maybe that puts it in more of a perspective for you.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    The buyer's FFL contacted me and then sent me a copy of their license. They did not say that they needed a copy of my driver's license. They had my name, address, phone number, and email address and never requested a copy of my driver's license.
    The buyer called me and said he had been notified by his FFL dealer that his lower assembly (rifle) had arrived but he could not pick it up until I sent them a copy of my driver license. The buyer contacted me and was very upset that he could not pick up his purchase. I immediately contacted the buyer's FFL and said I would email them a copy of my drivers license. I ask them was that a Wyoming law or their policy. All they replied was that it is a federal law. Maybe that puts it in more of a perspective for you.

I'm confused. Did you end up sending the information the buyer's ffl asked for, and did the buyer get his lower?

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    I'm confused. Did you end up sending the information the buyer's ffl asked for, and did the buyer get his lower?

Yes, I sent a copy of my driver's license to the buyer's FFL dealer (receiver) immediately after the buyer contacted me. I have not heard from the buyer,so I am assuming he has his lower assembly. Did you read my reply to USMC-Johnson in post #34?

Bonehead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    Vincennes
    This is why FFL's do not like to accept guns through the mail from a non FFL.....This is why on gunbroker auctions you see wording like "make sure your ffl will accept a transfer from an individual".......It always ends up being a pain for all parties involved...I have also made folks fax me their drivers license...I have never said it is "the law" but I am clear that is my policy....

To the OP I am glad your local FFL will ship a gun for you on an auction...I did a couple of times and told the person I charge a flat $25 shipping fee (the same as I charge on my auctions) and invariably the individual will come back and say, I spoke to USPS/UPS/FEDEX or whomever and they said the shipping costs was only $19.99 and YOU charged me $25.00...I explain that I boxed up the gun, packaged it, took it the the local post office (which opens at 9:30 am, I open at 10 am and there is often a long line at the post office) and the $25 is a flat rate I charge and on many guns the actual shipping costs ends up being above the $25 rate I charge.....

I am not saying I am right but when it comes to having an FFL most of us (gun shop owners) realize that the media hates us, Pop Stars hate us, Hollywood hates us and judging from the comments here many of our customers hate us and think we are "a-holes". When you have that much of the public that wants to see you out of business it does make one a little over zealous in the covering of the rear portion of the anatomy.....

I had an ATF agent in the shop when a transfer from an individual came via USPS...There was no drivers license, no way for me to contact the person to get one, and a nearly illegible address and name on the box...The ATF agent and I did the best we could to translate the address (and they renewed my license 3 years later, so it is obviously not against the law) but I think this example shows why we like to have the drivers license...It's legible and not smeared by rain, rubbing against other boxes, or just poor handwriting....

All offered IMHO without saying I am right...Getting the DL is a preference for the reasons stated above but as far as I know it carries no weight of law....

I will not buy a gun from an individual without a drivers license or State ID at the shop.....I make a copy of the DL as it may be an hour or two before I can get a minute to put the gun in the bound book and I rubber band the copy of the DL around the gun and put it behind the counter...

Agree totally with your whole post :+1:

As far as most of the rest of the post in this thread :n00b:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    It's not law, but the FFL needs to list in his A&D record who he received the item from. MOST dealers I've come across have it as their policy to require a driver's license or state ID. I comply, simply because it's harder and harder to find dealers who will accept shipments from an individual.

That said, someone else in this thread said the dealer wanted their social. I'd send a copy of my DL and if they still wanted the SSN, I'd tell them to drop dead.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    It's not law, but the FFL needs to list in his A&D record who he received the item from. MOST dealers I've come across have it as their policy to require a driver's license or state ID. I comply, simply because it's harder and harder to find dealers who will accept shipments from an individual.

Then giving them a hard time for a measley $25 in a transfer fee makes more and more dealers not even want to mess with it.

Top Bottom