• ...and so much more!
  • r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Regardless of the size or degree of sophistication, never lose sight of the fact that a boat is nothing more than a hole in the water that you will end up filling with money!

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I've been talking about buying a small fishing boat

I didn't need to read more than that to tell you that it's a trap. :):

A boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into.

I've owned and sold several. Even lost one when the transom decided it wanted to be a sieve. Actually, more like a colander. :abused:

Through the passage of time, like just about everything else, you start to lose the bad memories and hold on to the good. Then you buy another one, and the cycle repeats.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Regardless of the size or degree of sophistication, never lose sight of the fact that a boat is nothing more than a hole in the water that you will end up filling with money!

LOL, we must have been typing at the same time, I'm just a slower typist. ;)

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I bought a brand new boat in 2012, used it every weekend, and made money on the sale this year. You’re doing it wrong.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    This happened once to me. She followed it with 'if you are going to get it you better do it now.' This was with my Microtech Ultratech.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks guys. And with this I'm trying to buy the smallest hole possible in which to pour the money. I figured a cheap boat with a small motor, no fancy electronics, etc. should be a fairly small hole.

Checking the budget and seeing what I can do. I do have a spot thats out of the way to store it; Under our elevated back deck. Just sits empty except when we need to toss downed tree limbs before they go into the fire pit. So plenty of space out of the way to store it.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Sorry, aparrently the multi-quote is not working, so I'm going to have to do it manually.

I bought a brand new boat in 2012, used it every weekend, and made money on the sale this year. You’re doing it wrong.

No need to put the man down.

Sometimes, you get to ride the market, sometimes you get ridden by it.

Full Auto, SKSs, Nagants, HKs, some people missed opportunities. Some didn't.

Pre-Ban ARs, .22 ammo, 9mm, 5.56, some people missed opportunities. Some didn't.

Maybe it's the year you're born. Maybe it's misjudging the market. Maybe you did extensive research and calculated the market, with incisive insight and esoteric formulas. Or maybe you lucked out.

Regardless, no need to lord it over him.

Last edited:

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks guys. And with this I'm trying to buy the smallest hole possible in which to pour the money. I figured a cheap boat with a small motor, no fancy electronics, etc. should be a fairly small hole.

Checking the budget and seeing what I can do. I do have a spot thats out of the way to store it; Under our elevated back deck. Just sits empty except when we need to toss downed tree limbs before they go into the fire pit. So plenty of space out of the way to store it.

Good thinking. Life is long, take your time. I've always had more fun with people-powered boats as opposed to horsepowered boats, but that's just my experience.

Don't discount people power. It can get you into places horsepower can't.

EDIT, suddenly, multi-quote works when you don't mean it to. :)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I bought a bonafide ss127. It's a kayak but I can stand up on it. Has a very comfortable seat. I bought a motor, and mount and it's all remote control and I've got lights and an automatic anchor and top of the line fishfinder. I have alittle over 4000 in it.
    For me it's perfect. For you? I dont know but it will last a long time. Oh and I can even charge my phone :):
    You can buy trailers to haul them. They get heavy with everything on them unless you want to have just a motor and a seat.

I have removable wheels. I only have to roll it into my pond

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Sorry, aparrently the multi-quote is not working, so I'm going to have to do it manually.

No need to put the man down.

Sometimes, you get to ride the market, sometimes you get ridden by it.

Full Auto, SKSs, Nagants, HKs, some people missed opportunities. Some didn't.

Pre-Ban ARs, .22 ammo, 9mm, 5.56, some people missed opportunities. Some didn't.

Maybe it's the year you're born. Maybe it's misjudging the market. Maybe you did extensive research and calculated the market, with incisive insight and esoteric formulas. Or maybe you lucked out.

Regardless, no need to lord it over him.
    Not trying to put anyone down at all. Boats are like anything else that we buy. If we buy cheap crap, we end up with cheap crap. It’s the cheap stuff in life that will cost you. Buy once, cry once.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    When it comes to boats I have learned my lesson early on by buying 2 boats brand new from a dealer. Huge loss of money. After that I learned to buy quality boats that were no more than 10 years old and well maintained. Always check your engines out. Cash is king and buy in the winter never in spring. Don't be afraid of a Florida boat that has been well maintained. You can save thousands.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Do fast.
    Do it now.
    Don't talk to her again until you have it and don't mention the hitch to her.

Strike while the iron's hot. The window's only open briefly and you can only use it while it's open. I've missed or almost missed the window before. If you miss the window, abort!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    y'all are forgetting the most important part.

The boat is conveniently priced at $400-500 on the "high" side so that it can come with a new handgun. Or case of ammo.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    The two happiest days in a boat-owner's life: The day he buys it and the day he sells it.

I've owned 8 boats over my span of years. I have to say the aphorism I mentioned above is too cynical. I've had many many hours of rewarding activity on the water and memories that are among the best.

But, boats are expensive if you get anything halfway decent...and, trust me, with family dependents in your care on the water, halfway decent is a minimum.

Stability and engine reliability are key. There are no shortcuts.

I've been 30 miles offshore in a squall with LORAN on the fritz and the one thing I was sure of was the boat.

Top Bottom