• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    I am forced pretty often to visit so called "gun free zones." To these, I like to cc and leave it in the car. my question, with summer coming up, is if it is ever too hot to safely leave a loaded pistol in the car? Anyone have any stories? I have no idea of the temperature ranges that would cause a nd or render my ammunition useless.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I am forced pretty often to visit so called "gun free zones." To these, I like to cc and leave it in the car. my question, with summer coming up, is if it is ever too hot to safely leave a loaded pistol in the car? Anyone have any stories? I have no idea of the temperature ranges that would cause a nd or render my ammunition useless.
    "

Mythbusters did a show a while back where they took different rounds from different guns and placed them in an oven to see if they could get them to "cook off". If I remember correctly, they didn't cook off either sitting in the oven by themselves or in a gun until the oven temp had reached just over 400 dgrs.

Edit.... Check out the link to the video on YouTube. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BX1kvJVrjc[/ame]

Last edited:

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Your ammo will be fine, but check the lubes you use to be sure they will take high temps. Most will.

If you have wood stocks, the heat could dry them given time and no maintenance.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    My rear site slide out of my Sig 229 after I left it in a hot car for a couple hours. Only guess is that it was wedged in place with a small item that shrunk in the heat. Never found the item, but my rear site just slid freely straight through the gap. Oh darn, had to get Night Sites.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Be sure not to place a GLOCK (proper display of the name :bowdown: ) on you
    dash as it will melt and run into your vents and smell like cookies.

:facepalm: :joke: :banana: :bs: :n00b: :ingo:

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    As a highly unscientific experiment, I left a box of ammo in my car (not garaged) for one calendar year. I took the ammo out and shot it with no problems.

Sample size = 20.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Now holsters are a differen't subject, I went shooting yesterday and was doing lots of from the holster draws, I started noticing the gun wasn't coming right out of the holster (bladetech, which I love!) like it should, I started to think about it and looked at the gun and noticed the gun had melted holster on it! No more drawing from my good holster! I finnally figured out what Fobus holsters are good for...

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    If schools are one of the 'victim disarmament zones' you go to, be aware that just being on the premises is a felony. Only exception is if you're picking up/dropping off your kid--and you don't exit the vehicle.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So, I didn't see any policies at my work for carrying, so it's likely a dont-ask, dont-tell situation... but rather than be found out accidently... I figure I'll slip into my messenger bag when I enter the building, rather than leave in car.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    So, I didn't see any policies at my work for carrying, so it's likely a dont-ask, dont-tell situation... but rather than be found out accidently... I figure I'll slip into my messenger bag when I enter the building, rather than leave in car.

Just in case you have the opportunity......At my last 2 places of employment I have had the opportunity to re-write/amend the Employee Handbook Policies. Under the paragraph that mentions weapons on company property I added in "illegal weapons" would not be allowed. This enabled those of us that carry "legal" weapons!:rockwoot:

No....weapons did not have to do with me leaving one for the other. LOL

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    2609977738_3e01c81190.jpg

Top Bottom