• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlaineBug

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    NA
    I wouldn't be laughing at anyone with guns and ammunition, personally.

I'm not advocating looting and stealing because I am prepared myself, at least for a few weeks. But why would you want to give up your arms for supplies?

It's a dog-eat-dog world and that will become more apparent in a SHTF scenario. Never get rid of your means to defend your family and property. As unfortunate as it is, survival of the fittest will prevail. Disarmament is not fit.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I wouldn't be laughing at anyone with guns and ammunition, personally.

I'm not advocating looting and stealing because I am prepared myself, at least for a few weeks. But why would you want to give up your arms for supplies?

It's a dog-eat-dog world and that will become more apparent in a SHTF scenario. Never get rid of your means to defend your family and property. As unfortunate as it is, survival of the fittest will prevail. Disarmament is not fit.

You have a very simplistic view of SHTF. You also ignored the first part of my statement.

BlaineBug

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    NA
    The first part about individual distress, such as job loss?

Well, you and I may have a different system of safety blanket. My guns would be the last to go, in that sort of circumstance.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you look at the problems we have experienced this year it would lead one to conclude that having about a million rounds of ammunition is not unreasonable. Especially if you have a number of calibers/gauges that you shoot. That way you have enough to hold you over a period of high prices.

As for things returning to normal, we are starting to see that now (predicted) and should be back to a more normal price range by summer. However if the democrats are able to sweep the elections next fall and gain control of all levels of government then all bets are off.

BTW, during the Civil War a soldier could load and fire 3-4 rounds per minute. Thus about 24 rounds (paper cartridges) were about all one needed for a typical battle (Gettysburg went on long enough that the troops ran out). With metallic cartridges (.45-70) in the Trapdoor or the Sharps the rate of fire increased to about 10 rounds per minute. Even more with the Winchester level action. By the Spanish-American War with the .30-40 Kraig the rate of fire was up to 40 rounds per minute and stayed that way until After WW2 when full automatic infantry rifles started showing up. Full auto meant that the troops really ran through the ammo.

So it depends on how much you need by the rate of fire that you expect to engage in.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The 22 ammo shortage has me laughing my ass off watching "conservatives" lose their ever loving capitalist minds. I haven't bought any 22 in at least 3 years.

D5766C81-B0E5-4FE1-A415-09FA02DBC622-630-00000075C4A06DBF_zps8ab8a464.jpg

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How many rounds do I have to reload before somebody calls me a hoarder? I need a number so I can get going. Oops! Maybe that makes me a powder/primer/brass hoarder. As for rim fire, I have more than I will shoot in the next 2 years but I maintained a similar amount for many years before some guy who didn't plan ahead put the hoarder label on those who did. :)

Hording is when you have more than you could use. You have it to just have it. Then sit around talking yourself "My Precious!"

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The first part about individual distress, such as job loss?

Well, you and I may have a different system of safety blanket. My guns would be the last to go, in that sort of circumstance.

I have way more guns and ammo than I could ever shoot for purely self defense and hunting needs. They are extras and were purchased for fun. They can go if needed. If it IS an TEOTWAWKI situation then their value has increased beyond reason as I will be using them to kill off the people trying to rob me ;)

BlaineBug

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    NA
    If you look at the problems we have experienced this year it would lead one to conclude that having about a million rounds of ammunition is not unreasonable. Especially if you have a number of calibers/gauges that you shoot. That way you have enough to hold you over a period of high prices.

As for things returning to normal, we are starting to see that now (predicted) and should be back to a more normal price range by summer. However if the democrats are able to sweep the elections next fall and gain control of all levels of government then all bets are off.

BTW, during the Civil War a soldier could load and fire 3-4 rounds per minute. Thus about 24 rounds (paper cartridges) were about all one needed for a typical battle (Gettysburg went on long enough that the troops ran out). With metallic cartridges (.45-70) in the Trapdoor or the Sharps the rate of fire increased to about 10 rounds per minute. Even more with the Winchester level action. By the Spanish-American War with the .30-40 Kraig the rate of fire was up to 40 rounds per minute and stayed that way until After WW2 when full automatic infantry rifles started showing up. Full auto meant that the troops really ran through the ammo.

So it depends on how much you need by the rate of fire that you expect to engage in.

Perfect point. There is not knowing what the future will bring. It is smart for us to prepare accordingly to the uncertainty of our future.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Perfect point. There is not knowing what the future will bring. It is smart for us to prepare accordingly to the uncertainty of our future.
    I have friends in the NYC and DC area who think that preparing for disasters is only something that a wacked out survivalist does. Tried to show them that this is being pushed by the Red Cross and DHS. They laughed at it. Then Sandy hit.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    The 22 ammo shortage has me laughing my ass off watching "conservatives" lose their ever loving capitalist minds. I haven't bought any 22 in at least 3 years.

D5766C81-B0E5-4FE1-A415-09FA02DBC622-630-00000075C4A06DBF_zps8ab8a464.jpg

Picture is getting old, at least the ammo is getting old, PMC hasn't been available for a long time now. I know as I bought my cases from the CMP years ago. Don't shoot much either do you?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Picture is only a couple weeks old. The PMC is ammo I inherited. I don't need to blast a bulk pack every weekend in order to survive.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Picture is only a couple weeks old. The PMC is ammo I inherited. I don't need to blast a bulk pack every weekend in order to survive.

I see the same picture from a post by you back on 10/28, that more than a couple of weeks.

Then there is the picture from the 1st of Oct. that only shows 2 plastic ammo cans, but no more has been purchased for 3 years?

I too have more total .22's than I'll probably ever shoot up, I will admit I paid $18.99 for the last brick of Blazer, bought it a year and half ago just for kicks. That's the highest I've paid for 22 ammo except for quality Match Target ammo at $80.00 to $180.00 bucks a brick, and yes its worth it. Most of my stocks of ammo has been in the $7 to $9.00 bucks a brick.

Shooting has gone down a whole bunch this past year because of health reasons.

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    'Being prepared for when the SHTF." I'll be the one loling as you try to carry all that ammo with you. :lmfao:

Being prepared is not hoarding. Having enough for the relatives that accused you of being a "conspiracy weirdo" is up to you. I doubt if you'll turn them away.

If there is a crisis, there will be martial law. Nobody will be going very far. The TSA can already perform roadblocks. Obama signed the National Defense Resources Preparedness Order on March 16th; they can take whatever you have and put your family to work. The Constitution is void as soon as martial law is announced. That came out during the Iran-Contra hearings. You'll be better off finding a place nearby where you can be with a group of like-minded families. Take your travel trailers and "circle the wagons". The hungry folks in the city may be a problem for awhile, but the armored vehicles filled with "peacekeepers" will be there soon after martial law is declared. They have been prepping for martial law for years. There will be no place to hide in our country. You will have to make a choice of which group you'll be in when that time comes.
    :welcome: :bowdown: or :ar15: = Rev. 13:10

I know most guys would rather have a zombie apocalypse, sorry.

tk71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    ECI
    I don't think it is hoarding I think if you plan on shooting a lot It is more about saving money. I have watched 9mm go from $11 to $15 a box in one year. With the recent 22 shortage I do not things will ever be the same with this caliber. I think a lot of it for most people it has become the thrill of the hunt to find a good deal on 22lr ammo.

Top Bottom