Is it illegal to conceal carry without a holster?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I've searched but for some reason can't find an answer to this. I did see somewhere that mexican carry is legal so I assume carrying my LCP in my back jean pocket or side cargo pocket without a holster is completely legal?? Just want to make sure. TIA.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If you possess an LTCH, you can carry duct taped to your forehead if you wish... Although, just like "holster-less carry", I wouldn't recommend it. ;)

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    Not illegal but not a very good idea. A good holster will take a ND and a AD out of the equation probably 99% of the time. I sure would not like my gun to be flopping around when I am walking and God forbid you have to run to take cover in a defensive situation. If you want to carry in a pocket you can get a good pocket holster for less than 20 bucks.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I like to jam mine up my butt. Concealed means concealed.

Yes carry however you like. Personally I like to use 550 cord and wear mine behind my huge watch I wear around my neck.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    What JetGirl said (minus the duct tape part). Indiana doesn't specify the method of carry. I know a few ladies with revolvers/pistols just in their purse. I've carried mine in a pocket before.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I know a few ladies with revolvers/pistols just in their purse.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...gear/11846-new_raven_holster_really_neat.html
    RavenGlockThing3.jpg

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Carry it like you want. I do agree that using a holster is quicker and easier to deploy though. I purchased a nice leather vest for semi formal situations that has a pocket designed for CC.

SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Ok thanks for the info. As of right now I'm just carrying my LCP not chambered. Last night I put it in my back jean pocket and really liked it there, plus it didn't move at all and was totally unnoticeable.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I've searched but for some reason can't find an answer to this.

It is a grafting of Georgia law into Indiana law. Georgia has/had such a statute, Indiana does not.

Georgia Firearm Owners Defense League

Many people in the gun culture hear things at the gun shop or from the Southern gun dealers at the Indy 1500 and presume that Indiana must be just like . . . ___________ (usually Texas, but Western and other Southern states get grafted too).

Last edited:

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    so your gonna be that guy uh! but for real, i just don't feel comfortable at this time carrying a chambered gun with no safety. I'll get there, just trying to figure stuff out right now.

I did the same thing when I initially started carrying. Carrying with a holster will help you move to carrying with a round in the chamber.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I like to jam mine up my butt. Concealed means concealed.

Why do I see a new sig line quote coming from this??

Like others have said... legal. If that is your only option, I've got a little inexpensive Fobus paddle holster that will fit the LCP / P3AT.

You can have it. Gratis, no strings.

I don't use it and carry my P3AT in a $8 Uncle Mike's pocket holster in the rear pocket.

Meet me in Indy or send your address via PM. I'll eat the postage.

(This is addressed to SouthBendIN, not to Andrejamitupmybutt. Andre: I definitely don't want no strings like that!)

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Ok thanks for the info. As of right now I'm just carrying my LCP not chambered. Last night I put it in my back jean pocket and really liked it there, plus it didn't move at all and was totally unnoticeable.

I think you'll find that carrying without a holster in your back pocket, after time, the pistol will become very noticeable and the outline of the gun will print clearly through the pocket.

If you like back pocket carry, and if concealment is important to you, there are some wallet type pocket holsters that will work in a back pocket. I'm not crazy about sitting with it in my back pocket, but I've done it-- I use an Uncle George's pocket holster. It doesn't fit well in all my pockets though. But I use it every day. (Although I think I am on the verge of getting a Crossbreed mini-tuck for IWB carry)

Uncle George's Wallet Holster

There are vidoes on the site of drawing from both front and back pockets.

Top Bottom