Is it legal for convicted criminals near school?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I am curious on what the guidelines are for people who have been convicted of child molesting living near elementary schools? The school near my house has just had a convicted child molester move in directly across the street where the kids cross the road to go home. He is in the registry and on Family Watchdog as well but it seems ok for him to live right next to the school. Is there anything that can be done about him and what are the laws exactly?

thanks

djlaundry2000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I cant belive he is doing this he must not be on parole or probation anymore. and i belive that there is a law against him being there. my best friend is a proby officer and deals with sex offenders all day every day. ill ask her.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I am curious on what the guidelines are for people who have been convicted of child molesting living near elementary schools? The school near my house has just had a convicted child molester move in directly across the street where the kids cross the road to go home. He is in the registry and on Family Watchdog as well but it seems ok for him to live right next to the school. Is there anything that can be done about him and what are the laws exactly?

thanks
    call our buddy jsx and ask him.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    The guy is in the registry for the county and on Family Watchdog. It really makes me mad that he moved there as it is the main spot for a LOT of kids walking home.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    An ordinance was passed in my area a few years ago making it unlawful to live within 1000 feet (I think... may have been yards.) of some definition of a facility serving children. Forgive the uncertainty, I followed it at the time, but it wasn't important enough for me to remember all the details. At any rate, the point made was that when the person is released, we're saying he or she can be trusted in society. If that's not true, s/he should not be released, but if the law says "you can't live within 1000 feet of a school"... Is it so hard to realize that the person will either drive to commit his/her crime (making him/her harder to catch), if s/he's going to commit it at all or that s/he will be willing to walk 1001 feet to get where the kids are?
    What's next? Telling the rapist when he gets out that he can't go within 1000 feet of OB/GYN offices? Telling the drunk driver that he can't go within 1000 feet of either a bar or a car?

In case it's not obvious, I don't agree with sex offender lists. I agree with inmate lists, particularly death row inmate lists.

Now... I don't see any issue at all with a group of the students' fathers standing on the curb in front of the house and making it clear that the former offender is being watched and that offenses against the children that are witnessed will be dealt with swiftly and permanently.

IC 35-41-3-2
    Use of force to protect person or property
    Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to
    the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

Last I checked, child molesting is a forcible felony.

Blessings,
    Bill

sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle
    I've heard 1000 foot rule before, there is another person convicted of child mulesting that opened a 'mini mart' with apt. down the road from me but he is just barly outside the 1000 foot mark....

I geuss back in the day there was a child mulester that lived a block away from the school and the police used to stand infront of his house before and after school.

Top Bottom