• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    "Federal laws 327.13 & 327.26 still make it illegal to carry in State parks OWNED By The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers."

How do you know if a state park is owned by the ACOE?

I just sent an email to the Indiana DNR asking if there is a specific list of properties that are ACoE. From the ACoE website, it looks like all of the lake properties are, but don't quote me on that. Basically, if there's a dam, it's an ACoE property.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Their website isn't the easiest to navigate, but from http://www.lrl.usace.army.mil/:

Indiana

Middle Wabash Project Office

Upper Wabash Project Office

Brookville Lake

Cagles Mill Lake

Cecil M. Harden Lake

J. Edward Roush Lake

Mississinewa Lake

Monroe Lake

Patoka Lake

Salamonie Lake

Also useful, their rules:
    http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/em...mil.master.com/texis/master/search/mysite.txt

327.0 Applicability.
    The regulations covered in this part 327 shall be applicable to water resources development projects, completed or under construction, administered by the Chief of Engineers, and to those portions of jointly administered water resources development projects which are under the administrative jurisdiction of the Chief of Engineers. All other Federal, state and local laws and regulations remain in full force and effect where applicable to those water resources development projects.

327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
    (a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:
    (1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
    (2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under 327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;
    (3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
    (4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.
    (b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.

Looks like anything the Corp maintains is off limits for personal protection. So, I would assume the dams, spillways, boat launches, and the water itself. Not sure how far onshore in the cases of a surrounding State Park.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Here's the reply from DNR. No specifics on whether it's just the water or the surrounding property, other than the fact that it mentions the properties are owned by ACoE and only managed by DNR...

Good morning Brian.

The exceptions to the hand gun law are the following properties owned by the Core of Engineers and operated by the Indiana DNR State Parks and Reservoir Division; Falls of the Ohio State Park, Brookville/Whitewater Reservoir Complex, Lieber Reservoir, Mississinewa Reservoir, Monroe Reservoir, Patoka Reservoir, Raccoon Reservoir, Roush Reservoir and Salamonie Reservoir.

Have a great day!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Here's the reply from DNR. No specifics on whether it's just the water or the surrounding property, other than the fact that it mentions the properties are owned by ACoE and only managed by DNR...

Looks to me like the ENTIRE park and reservoir is off limits then...

-J-

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    That would be my guess. I followed up asking if there was a distinction between the reservoir and the rest of the properties (trails, campgrounds, etc). We'll see what they say.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    I have OC'd and talked with DNR up close and personal while OCing at Turkey Run, Patoka Lake, Mounds State Park, Cliffty Falls, Spring Mill, and multiple other places and never heard a word from anyone!

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Looks to me like the ENTIRE park and reservoir is off limits then...

-J-

You are correct, sir.

The update:
    My Email to DNR
    A further inquiry. Is there a distinction between the reservoir and the remainder of the park property? For example, any trails or campgrounds located withing the boundaries of the park?
    DNR Reply
    No there is no distinction between the reservoir and the remainder of the park property.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    A juicy, it's-the-Friday-before-Halloween NECROBUMP for you all!

Me, Mrs. Miguel, the little Miguels and Miquelettes are headed to Brown County State Park later today. I believed it was legal to carry in a state park, but I did an INGO search to confirm and found this helpful thread.

That said, I decided to call the park to confirm the fact anyway, knowing how laws and regulations can turn on a dime and I didn't want to spend tonight -- or the next year or two -- in jail.

ME: "Hi, my family is going to be visiting the park this weekend. I have an Indiana LTCH and wanted to confirm it was legal to carry in the park."

BCSP: "It is, but we discourage it. A couple of weeks ago, someone was open carrying and it really concerned and upset alot of our visitors."

ME: "Ah, gotcha, OK, thanks. We'll see you this weekend!"

Gee, maybe I'll surrender my 1st Amendment rights too, since speaking my mind might break the concentration of some progressive who wants to photograph Nut Hatches.

NOT!!!!

p.s. I do like bird watching and photography, so don't take the purple the wrong way. :D

Top Bottom