• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    So after 8 years, I finally sided the back side of my house (have had all materials, guess it never really bothered me since it was the back side). Anyways.. Now I notice the gas meter and piping are an eyesore with my nice new siding on the house. Is it legal to paint this stuff, obviously keeping all gauges readable, and it functioning properly.

I simple just want to paint it so it doesnt look terrible, since obviously NIPSCO aint doing it, nor do I want it grey with a white house (painting the meter white is the plan).

Is it ok, or do you think they will even notice?

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Do it. They just repainted mine this year for me down here. It just happens to match my siding. What are thye going to do so long as you dont damage it?

Hell who knows what they will do.. They are the big bad gas company. Haha. If the most they can do is send me a nasty letter, oh well. I am more worried about them trying to claim I vandalized it, damaged it, whatever..

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I asked Vectren and was told I could paint the meter as long as I painted the feed line/pipe yellow. This is apparently the fire department's color code for a gas feed.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I asked Vectren and was told I could paint the meter as long as I painted the feed line/pipe yellow. This is apparently the fire department's color code for a gas feed.

Weird. My fire department knows that a tube coming out of a gas meter most likely has gas in it, so torching it, etc. is quite likely a bad idea. LOL!

seamusalaska

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    East Central IN
    I asked my gas company and they said, 'Go for it'. They did say not to paint over the dials. They were very nice about it. Just give your particular company a call.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    Hell who knows what they will do.. They are the big bad gas company. Haha. If the most they can do is send me a nasty letter, oh well. I am more worried about them trying to claim I vandalized it, damaged it, whatever..

I work for your "big bad gas company", and you are good to go to paint your meter whatever color you wish as long as the dials can still be read.

When I read meters, I had one in Wabash that had been painted pink!

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    All kidding aside, I think the reason is for the pipe to stand out in case of an emergency. Just my guess though.

ITS ATTACHED TO A DAMN GAS METER! The gas meter is the big warning, I promise.

I do understand what you are saying though.. Got to keep things obvious, for the Simpletons in the world..

Last edited:

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I work for your "big bad gas company", and you are good to go to paint your meter whatever color you wish as long as the dials can still be read.

When I read meters, I had one in Wabash that had been painted pink!

You are a NIPSCO employee? Interesting, I have a question to you reference the pipe coming from the ground into the meter. Are they supposed to be taped up? Looks like it had something wrong, and they just duct taped the heck out of it. I dont know whats underneath it, and I aint peeling the tape off to find out. Been that way as long as I have lived here.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    You are a NIPSCO employee? Interesting, I have a question to you reference the pipe coming from the ground into the meter. Are they supposed to be taped up? Looks like it had something wrong, and they just duct taped the heck out of it. I dont know whats underneath it, and I aint peeling the tape off to find out. Been that way as long as I have lived here.

I am not a NIPSCO employee but have installed my fair share of gas line in and above ground. That is the protective wrap to seal out moisture from the steel pipe to stop corrosion, it looks like ductape but is much thicker with tar like substance on the sticky side. Paint your gas line any color you wish, yellow is for underground so it is seen easily in the dirt and can be distinguishable from other pipe.

Top Bottom