• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Really? I thought in Indiana all metal/armor piercing handgun bullets were illegal. So they have to be coated? So the old Geco rounds that had a sharp truncated bullet are okay?

They don't want steel core AP ammo in a hand gun. I am thinking most of that is custom. I don't know anyone that manufacturers solid core handgun ammo, but I have not been looking for it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Incorrect. The owner of my company lives there. You can't buy them there, but they are legal to own. You just can't shoot someone with them.

You can't carry them.
    The single mom that was arrested in New Jersey for carrying with a gun permit from another state, was also in trouble for having hollow points.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    2C:39-3 - Prohibited weapons and devices - New Jersey Statutes

f.Dum-dum or body armor penetrating bullets. (1) Any person, other than a law enforcement officer or persons engaged in activities pursuant to subsection f. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, who knowingly has in his possession any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet, or (2) any person, other than a collector of firearms or ammunition as curios or relics as defined in Title 18, United States Code, section 921 (a) (13) and has in his possession a valid Collector of Curios and Relics License issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, who knowingly has in his possession any body armor breaching or penetrating ammunition, which means: (a) ammunition primarily designed for use in a handgun, and (b) which is comprised of a bullet whose core or jacket, if the jacket is thicker than.025 of an inch, is made of tungsten carbide, or hard bronze, or other material which is harder than a rating of 72 or greater on the Rockwell B. Hardness Scale, and (c) is therefore capable of breaching or penetrating body armor, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree. For purposes of this section, a collector may possess not more than three examples of each distinctive variation of the ammunition described above. A distinctive variation includes a different head stamp, composition, design, or color.
    - See more at: 2C:39-3 - Prohibited weapons and devices - New Jersey Statutes

2) a. Nothing in subsection f. (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land, nor shall subsection f. (1) be construed to prevent any licensed retail or wholesale firearms dealer from possessing such ammunition at its licensed premises, provided that the seller of any such ammunition shall maintain a record of the name, age and place of residence of any purchaser who is not a licensed dealer, together with the date of sale and quantity of ammunition sold.
    - See more at: 2C:39-3 - Prohibited weapons and devices - New Jersey Statutes

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Really? I thought in Indiana all metal/armor piercing handgun bullets were illegal. So they have to be coated? So the old Geco rounds that had a sharp truncated bullet are okay?

You are thinking federal law- yes all federally recognized armor piercing handgun rounds are illegal for practical uses but in Indiana it specifically states it must be casd in plastic:

(a) As used in this section, "armor-piercing handgun ammunition" means a cartridge that:
    (1) can be fired in a handgun; and
    (2) will, upon firing, expel a projectile that has a metal core and an outer coating of plastic. - See more at: Ind. Code § 35-47-5-11 : Indiana Code - Section 35-47-5-11: "Armor-piercing handgun ammunition" defined; related offenses

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    (a) As used in this section, "armor-piercing handgun ammunition" means a cartridge that:
    (1) can be fired in a handgun; and
    (2) will, upon firing, expel a projectile that has a metal core and an outer coating of plastic. - See more at: Ind. Code § 35-47-5-11 : Indiana Code - Section 35-47-5-11: "Armor-piercing handgun ammunition" defined; related offenses

You are thinking federal law- yes all federally recognized armor piercing handgun rounds are illegal for practical uses but in Indiana it specifically states it must be casd in plastic:

Thanks for the quote... Find this interesting... (can't cut n paste)
    (c) This section does not apply to nylon coated ammunition, plastic shot capsules, or ammunition designed to be used in rifles or shotguns. - See more at: Ind. Code § 35-47-5-11 : Indiana Code - Section 35-47-5-11: "Armor-piercing handgun ammunition" defined; related offenses

Interesting to clarify it, It must be federal law that prohibits steel core, handgun, ammo.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I still have some Nyclad in .357 that I refuse to shoot up. Keep it in my old .357 revolver. I saw some .38 Special Nyclad a while back for sale. Apparently that's the only calibre they still make it in. Wish they'd make more. I loved it. Nice, clean ammo.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Interesting to clarify it, It must be federal law that prohibits steel core, handgun, ammo.

Correct- but federal law prohibits ARMOR PIERCING rounds. ARs and AKs are considered handguns now and as such we cannot have armor piercing .223 or 7.62x39 but you can still get the "penetrator" rounds which contain steel inserts.

(17)(A) The term “ammunition” means ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellent powder designed for use in any firearm.
    (B) The term “armor piercing ammunition” means—(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
    (ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

(C) The term “armor piercing ammunition” does not include shotgun shot required by Federal or State environmental or game regulations for hunting purposes, a frangible projectile designed for target shooting, a projectile which the Attorney General finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes, or any other projectile or projectile core which the Attorney General finds is intended to be used for industrial purposes, including a charge used in an oil and gas well perforating device.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Wait im confused if the Federal Government banned it does that not make it banned in Indiana as well? Also since when did ARs and AKs become handguns. I know they make smaller handgun versions of both but the one I have at home is surely a rifle are you telling me it is now considered a handgun. And if this is true can I LTCH it?

ponch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    waaa2 also I think that drs were complaining that while operating on people shot with those nasty illegal boolits there gloves were being gashed open thus exposing them to HIV blood waaa

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I still have some Nyclad in .357 that I refuse to shoot up. Keep it in my old .357 revolver. I saw some .38 Special Nyclad a while back for sale. Apparently that's the only calibre they still make it in. Wish they'd make more. I loved it. Nice, clean ammo.

You could buy the 38 special, pull the projectiles and reload them in 357 cases.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    mrjarrell, I'm also a big fan of Nyclads going all the way back to when S&W first introduced the standard pressure 125 gr. version as their "Chief's Special" load.

A good many years back, when Federal was discontinuing the line and a couple of the big jobbers were closing their remaining stocks out at extremely attractive prices I purchased 1K rds each of 124 gr. 9x19 HPs, 125 gr .38 Spl. HPs and +P 158 gr. .38 Spl HPs. I've been storing them in GI ammo cans in my basement and only grudgingly dipping into them ever since. Even so, I'm down to an average of about 450 rds each, plus or minus a box or two.

Given the advances in projectile design and construction in the years since and the currently fashionable histrionic media/bureaucratic fooraw surrounding the "dangers" of nasty ol' icky lead I seriously doubt that we'll see ATK revive the line to any greater extent. A real pity, that, because as you mentioned I've also found it to be exceptionally clean-shooting, accurate, effective and cost efficient ammo.

Top Bottom