• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    As long as all sales are done through father,paperwork etc.. he is only helping his father use the interwebs i would think. Dont forget the site rules either..

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I understand there are circumstances with rules just wondered if there was a law on the books?
    Basically Indiana law states that if they are 18 or older they may sell or purchase a long gun from a private seller or an FFL holder. If they are 18 or older they may purchase a handgun from a private seller only. Both are as long as they are a "proper person" without any convictions.
    I also don't get it when you refuse to buy a gun from someone under 21, they get bent out of shape???
    If they are following the laws then they have a reason to be upset.See above.

seabassz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Above post is absolutely accurate.

To the original poster, it is not legal for the 17 year old to own firearms. Be mindful. If father purchased firearms for minor, ATF considers that a straw sale.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Above post is absolutely accurate.

To the original poster, it is not legal for the 17 year old to own firearms. Be mindful. If father purchased firearms for minor, ATF considers that a straw sale.

Wrong.
    Then every gun owning family would be in jail.

Show me the law that says that, and I will retract my statement.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    This is what I found about possession of firearm in Indiana:
    Possession:

No state permit is required for the possession of a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.

It is unlawful for an adult to provide a firearm to a child or for a child to possesses a firearm except while the child is:
    • Attending a hunter safety or firearms safety course and an adult is supervising the child during the course.
    • Target shooting at a range or in an area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited or supervised by a qualified firearms instructor or adult while at the range.
    • Engaging in an organized firearm competition or practicing for a performance by an organized group that uses firearms as a part of a performance.
    • Lawfully hunting or trapping with a license.
    • Traveling with an unloaded firearm to or from an activity described in this section.
    • On real property that is under the control of the child’s parent, an adult family member, or legal guardian and has permission from the child's parent or legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    • At the child's residence and has the permission of the child's parent, an adult family member or legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    • It is unlawful to possess a firearm on school property, property used for a school function, or a school bus. This prohibition shall not apply to a person who may legally possesses a firearm and possess the firearm in a motor vehicle while transporting another person to or from school or a school function.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This is what I found about possession of firearm in Indiana:
    Possession:

No state permit is required for the possession of a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.

It is unlawful for an adult to provide a firearm to a child or for a child to possesses a firearm except while the child is:
    • Attending a hunter safety or firearms safety course and an adult is supervising the child during the course.
    • Target shooting at a range or in an area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited or supervised by a qualified firearms instructor or adult while at the range.
    • Engaging in an organized firearm competition or practicing for a performance by an organized group that uses firearms as a part of a performance.
    • Lawfully hunting or trapping with a license.
    • Traveling with an unloaded firearm to or from an activity described in this section.
    • On real property that is under the control of the child’s parent, an adult family member, or legal guardian and has permission from the child's parent or legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    • At the child's residence and has the permission of the child's parent, an adult family member or legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    • It is unlawful to possess a firearm on school property, property used for a school function, or a school bus. This prohibition shall not apply to a person who may legally possesses a firearm and possess the firearm in a motor vehicle while transporting another person to or from school or a school function.
    Thanks. I'm saving this thread just for this reference. I don't have kids, and sometimes forget the rules. And cause I'm "the gun guy" everyone asks.

Top Bottom