• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Is it legal for one person, not an FFL holder to send a handgun by USPS Overnight service to another non FFL holder? Both parties are in the state of Indiana

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    My understanding is you can with UPS or Fed Ex. Legal but against their policies.

This is the answer I have been interpreting from a web search on the topic but I didn't believe it. I was under the impression that it had to go from an FFL to an FFL. I did think that it was only handguns that were illegal. What kind of trouble could a person get into for a policy violation? Can the carrier ask what the package contains? Would it be a big lie to state that it contained "Machined Parts?"

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Could an FFL holder ship a handgun directly to me?In other words, could the seller have an FFL send it to me without shipping it to another FFL on my end? Probably not because the FFL holder would need me to fill out the 4473. Is this a correct assumption?

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I'd be interested in the citation which states that it is illegal for an individual to ship any firearm via UPS/FedEx to another individual in the same state, regardless of type (handgun/long gun). I know the USPS doesn't allow this, but I figured it was because they are/were a quasi gov't agency.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    The ffl would have to send the handgun to a local ffl, which would transfer it to you.

FYI, USDS in greenwood does $15 transfers.
    Wow! That's pretty inexpensive. Best I've heard of. Thanks for the info. This is what I thought but this guy told me he could ship it directly to me using USPS Overnight. Of course he wants me to send him a MO, CC or direct deposit before he will ship it. Gunbroker he ain't.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wow! That's pretty inexpensive. Best I've heard of. Thanks for the info. This is what I thought but this guy told me he could ship it directly to me using USPS Overnight. Of course he wants me to send him a MO, CC or direct deposit before he will ship it. Gunbroker he ain't.

Take the time to do a FTF somewhere in the middle. Thats the legal way to do it. And depending on gas prices, about the same cost.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    From the ATF website:

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
    [18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Threw this one in there as well:

[h=6]Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?[/h] Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    To add a finer point onto danielson's post, Fedex requres that all firearms be shipped overnight only. They dont want to be in posession any longer than necessary. (no 2 or 3 day service, fedex ground, etc)

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    but this guy told me he could ship it directly to me using USPS Overnight. Of course he wants me to send him a MO, CC or direct deposit before he will ship it.

His IP address isn't from Nigeria is it?

Then again...maybe NOT purple...that's certainly an interesting business model.

Top Bottom