Is it possible to find a reliable /working car for $2,500?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    If looks don't matter, I can save you close to a couple grand. My buddy has a Buick he needs gone. He has 3 vehicles and this just sits. 200k or more miles, 3.8 v6, auto trans, no air, heat works but needs a blower motor resistor to blow on high setting. Paint peeling, lousy tint job, newer good tires, leaky exhaust. Sounds chitty, but it's reliable as hell.

Pretty sure he put a new radiator in a couple years ago also.

Eta...cracked windshield but crack hasn't grown since it happened.

I bet he would take 750$.

Last edited:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    04-08 Pontiac Grand Prix. I have one as a work car. 190k and going strong. All I've done is oil changes and replace a power steering pump.
    For that matter any of the gm cars with the 3.8 (impala, Monte Carlo, grand prix, alero, Bonneville, regal) that engine is one of gm's best and will easily go 250k on oil changes.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    I disagree. Ive personally blown up 2. The first one threw a rod through the oil pan and shattered the starter with less than 150k on the clock. So i put one in that i got from lkq and it did the same thing minus shattering the starter. I keep up on maintinance religously as well. They were in a 96 bonaville.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I hooked my son up with a 2002 Ford ZX2 (Maxda) with only 75000 miles on it for $1800. A neighbor friend of mine had a used lot. Helps to have connections.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Look for neons. Theyre super cheap, good milage, and cheap as dirt for tires and repairs. I have a beater i picked up a few years back. Waited till tires went on sale at walmart and picked up 4 for under 200 bucks mounted and balanced brand new. Junk yards are also full of them so if it needed something major down the road, it can likely be had for cheap. Got mine with 167k for $800, and im now at 214k. Ive had to replace a cv shaft and wheel bearing but other than that its just been routine stuff.
    Wife and I have had two. They are good little cars. Cheap to work on and parts are easy to find.

Both only had minor repairs. At 130k I started putting more money into it than I wanted. When I neglected a known sketch transmission cooler line, (mechanic warned me about it) I traded it in when it blew. It was time. I figured if I was going to be putting $100+/mo into a car, it might as well be a nicer car so I bought a new one.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Be sure to avoid any 03' or 04' Ford Focus you might find. My wife and two co-workers had them and the longest any of the 3 made it before needing a new transmission was 83K. My wife's Focus didn't even make it to 60K before needing the transmission replaced. It also wouldn't stay in alignment for any appreciable length of time while she owned it either.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    The best deal I ever got on a car was by being willing to buy whatever. I talked to a local repair shop about the next time they have a car repair the owner won't pay for. Rather than send it to auction, please just call me.

I paid $400 for a ten year old Cavalier with 140k miles. Just oil changes in the 3 years I owned it, and I sold for the exact same price. I don't miss that car at all, but it got me through college.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The overlooked, very reliable, cheap to repair, and inexpensive option: Saturn SL or SW. i have one that my son drives. The car is older than him and runs great. Many reports of these going 300,000 miles. Ours has 87,000 and the air blows cold.

Ah. The only INGO'er I know of, traded in that job for lawyering.

:n00b:

You rang?

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    The GM cars from about 96 to the mid 2000s with the 3.1 and the 3.8 are known to have lower intake gasket leaks.They start using more and more Antifreeze.Not all,but it is it's weakness.$500 fix.Great engines otherwise.Also,about 100K,front wheel bearings.GM bearings kinda expensive ,China bearings much cheaper,but last about 25K.Might check out one of those Champagne LeSabre that every Grandpa in America has.Alot were serviced at GM dealer.The rockers rust on all of them.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The GM cars from about 96 to the mid 2000s with the 3.1 and the 3.8 are known to have lower intake gasket leaks.They start using more and more Antifreeze.Not all,but it is it's weakness.$500 fix.Great engines otherwise.Also,about 100K,front wheel bearings.GM bearings kinda expensive ,China bearings much cheaper,but last about 25K.Might check out one of those Champagne LeSabre that every Grandpa in America has.Alot were serviced at GM dealer.The rockers rust on all of them.

You are describing my experience with my '97 Grand Am GT perfectly, yet I loved that car. Drove until it got over 150,000 miles on it- still looked great and ran well when traded.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The overlooked, very reliable, cheap to repair, and inexpensive option: Saturn SL or SW. i have one that my son drives. The car is older than him and runs great. Many reports of these going 300,000 miles. Ours has 87,000 and the air blows cold.

We got an older Saturn for our daughter when she went off to IU (along with a AAA membership). It wasn't the prettiest car, but she got it cleaned up on the inside pretty well. The only two times she had to call AAA was when she locked the keys in and when she needed a new battery. Otherwise it was solid.

I ended up "buying" it from her when she graduated and sold it to another guy for his daughter. It's probably still on the road.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    You are describing my experience with my '97 Grand Am GT perfectly, yet I loved that car. Drove until it got over 150,000 miles on it- still looked great and ran well when traded.

And my experience with an 01 Malibu. 3x lower intake manifold gaskets and front wheel bearings to the point I knew how to replace them.

Best vehicle i bought with best best bang for the buck, 1999 jeep Cherokee. Bought off co worker for 2,000 with 148k miles.

A few alternators (product of off road in mud), brakes but I did them myself, and other minor thing mechanical I fixed but nothing major. Ended up putting over 5k in tires, lift kit and things before I sold it.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    kid just got a 03 lesabre after totaling his z28... $600. runs great, leather, loaded. I had to charge the AC, and it works. Been hit by 3 deer... so it's no beauty queen... lmao.
    back in the day I bought a 80? cutlass for $100. drove it like I stole it for 2 years until I totaled it. don't think I ever even changed the oil... v6.

Top Bottom