Is it rude to call LG stores and ask for pricing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Like it or not, a LGS is in competition with Internet sales. A new gun, and a common used gun, is a commodity. If I can browse prices from multiple sources online, I'd expect to do the same with a physical retail location. I do not call around, because I only frequent 2 gun stores regularly and one semi-regularly. The odds are strong I'm buying from one of them, and if not I'm buying online.

I will pay a certain premium to deal with a local business. I will not completely ignore the best price I could get online, though, and that will be my base price. The premium I'm willing to pay is based on the extra service and the value of the relationship with a local business.

If a gun store, or anyone else, is unwilling to give me the service of telling me the price, they wouldn't get the chance to earn my business. In the information age, if your business model relies on the ignorance of your customers as to market pricing, you're in a declining business model. It doesn't matter if you're selling guns or Fords.

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    Ask the store owners if it's rude. They will say no every time, that is why they are in business. You are a potential customer.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Ask the store owners if it's rude. They will say no every time, that is why they are in business. You are a potential customer.

Not every time. Back when Ludco was still in business I was told many times that he didn't have time to answer questions over the phone. If you asked about price then he would tell you to come in and see for yourself. When I told him I was an hour away he would tell me he was open for several more hours.

There are many dealers that treat the new customer poorly and act like we are an imposition.

k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    I recently did this calling 3 stores. Two of them gave me a price and one of them wanted me to call on a weekday. The ones who gave a price typed on their computer. They weren't running around the store. I ordered from the store with the lowest price. If a store doesn't want to give a price, that is their choice. I can also choose to shop somewhere else. I did not haggle on the phone. Haggling is something to do in person.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I do that with every significant thing I want to buy, from a furnace for the house or tires for my truck. Some gun shops are substantially different in their markup especially on used firearms. In my opinion it's just good sense to shop around a bit and if the guy on the phone doesn't like it he is probably selling expensive guns and knows that another gun shop is underselling him and your not gonna buy from his store when you find that out.

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    I have ran into some small gun shops that do lack the customer friendly feeling, big stores seem a little better in that area but usually there is no room on the prices.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Pretty much this. A LGS is not "doing you a favor" by selling you a gun; you're not an imposition on them. You're a customer - the entire reason they are in existence as a store. That doesn't mean you get to be a jerk because "the customer is always right" but in these days of internet buying, customer service is one of the biggest advantages to a brick-and-mortar LGS. I think anything relating to the sale or potential sale is fair game.

OTOH, I think using a LGS to handle and dry-fire a gun, getting all your questions answered, then buying online to save a few bucks is pretty despicable. Don't pick the brains and take the time of the locals if there is no real chance of a sale.

I couldn't agree more. I won't buy online if a local shop has allowed me to handle something and taken the time to answer my questions unless their price is very uncompetitive and they've declared it non-negotiable. Nobody likes to throw money away, but salespeople who've gone the extra mile to earn my business get it.

Sawed off

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2014
    South bend
    If you are in business I see no reason they would be upset with someone inquiring on stock and or price of an item. I don't think it is the time to haggle over the price. So I don't think it is rude at all. You are giving the dealer a chance to attract more customers to their location.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    I think Don from Don's guns will tell you that he doesnt wanna make any money but cant tell you over the phone the price cuz its so low that he wont make any money and cant tell everyone his pricing or he would go broke. :)))

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I agree with it being despicable when people come in, fondle the merchandise and take up a sales persons time, and then go buy online to save $5. Using a store with overhead costs as a showroom for your online purchases is not cool. However, calling around to check prices is fine. I don't know many people that don't shop around for such large purchases. Especially since LGS mark up rates are all over the place.

I used to work in a running shoe store, and I'd have that happen from time to time. You can't really buy a running shoe online unless it's the exact model and size you've successfully used before. Some jerks would come in and have me running all over the place for them to try on every model and size (which is all good if you're going to buy if I find something that you like). Once they found one they liked, they'd try to haggle me down below cost on the shoe, and then declare that they wouldn't buy from us because they could get it for $5 cheaper at joe bobs online shoe store. I'd explain that the $5 difference went towards the store overhead and the service they received with the shoe fitting. But it just doesn't matter to some people. Despicable to say the least. Had I not been at my place of business, I'd have had some choice words for those dirt bags. And I didn't even work on commission or anything like that. I got paid the same if I sold 0 shoes or if I had a $5000 day. So it really shouldn't have mattered, but it was just irritating to see people come in with no regard for my time or the companies time.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom