• ...and so much more!
  • Owen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Fishers
    Quick question...
    Is it safe to shoot deer slugs through a full choke?
    I don't want to do it all the time, but I'd like to run a full choke for the Atlanta 3 gun this weekend, and there are 4 deer slug targets.
    Thanks

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Check you box of ammunition. If its Foster style slugs most ammo makers say you can, but also recommend no more restriction than modified choke for "best performance" I strongly recommend you look at your box of ammunition though.

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    Pretty sure you would loose a lot of velocity doing that. That may or may not effect your accuracy as well. And what WLW said.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The fins on "rifled" slugs are not there to spin the slug but rather they are there so the slug can easily swage down to go through choked barrels. As said you might loose some accuracy but then you might not, I would try them first to know where they shoot out of your gun.

btw...mod would be plenty tight for shot and buck out to 20 yards. A full choke might actually compress buck and deform it leading to erratic patterns.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Tried it in a 410 Full choke with Foster slugs - accuracy was not good at all.

Owen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Fishers
    How bad? I want to go full choke for the competition because I think it would be an advantage with the majority of the shots. The longest possible shot at Atlanta is way under 40 yards...

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Not good, I was trying to sight in a red dot that he had just put on the gun. I moved up to 25-30yds and couldn't get anything close to a group to even try and adjust the thing in. If yours is anything like this one was I'd say no chance.

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    A tighter constriction is deforming the slug somewhat so you probably will not get the best group possible. If you fire quite a bit, Make sure you do not get a lot of buildup at the choke which would constrict it even more. Just a thought, Hope it helps somewhat.

Top Bottom