Is 'law abiding gun owner' what we should strive to be?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Kurt Hofmann, the St. Louis Gun Rights Examiner takes a look at whether we should be "law abiding gun owners" or believers in "Shall Not Be Infringed". Enforcing existing gun laws, the NRA mantra, is playing right into the hands of the antis.

St. Louis Gun Rights Examiner

Last Friday, I wrote about Jason Baez. Mr Baez is a Manhattan resident who, with his family, endured a terrifying armed robbery of their home, was advised by "authorities" to simply move out until the robbers were caught, then nearly drowned in debt while paying rent on the new apartment and the Manhattan place, and was then arrested for carrying the handgun he bought for protection--in defiance of New York City law, and has now pleaded guilty to a "gun felony."
    I have noticed that when cases like these are brought up, there are generally people--even those who consider themselves among the gun rights advocacy community--who criticize the unfortunate gun owner for breaking the law. Sometimes, the criticism is for "making us--meaning gun owners in general--look bad." Other times, it's simply for putting oneself in such an untenable situation. Mr. Baez, for example, will spend a year in prison (if the judge follows the prosecutor's recommendation), and his lost income will endanger his family's ability to keep their home.
    True to form, and without wanting to pick on anyone--this happens, after all, nearly every time such a story is brought up--Friday's article drew a comment describing Mr. Baez's decision to buy a handgun to defend his family as "foolish." The thinking, apparently, is that if it is illegal to procure the means to defend one's life, family, and home, it is "foolish" to do so. I, as readers might have guessed, do not subscribe to this school of thought.
    I am not, in fact, especially enamored of the term "law abiding gun owner." To me, that term implies that someone who obeys a law prohibiting an effective means of defending himself and his family is somehow morally superior to someone who has the courage to defy such an evil edict. I would argue that the reverse is true.
    Read the rest at the source.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Very interesting point...I have several thoughts about this topic, but posting them on the internet is not my idea of a wise choice haha. Thank you for the post.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Civil disobedience works, and if done right, works well. Martin L. King Jr. was great at getting things changed by mass disobedience.

The funny thing about "lawful firearm owners" is that they are the least anyone has to worry about. We get pushed around, regulated, belittled, and yet do very little to nothing. We are such sheep I wonder why the government is so afraid of us.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Well it brings about a good question or two. First, and you don't have to answer this, are you TRULY a law abiding citizen? Do you follow every single law, rule, and regulation to the T?

Second, SHOULD we be "law abiding"? Law abiding in the sense that we follow every single law, rule, and regulation to the T. If every gun owner stopped following the 922r law, or the NFA rules, don't you think that would FORCE them to change? Just as they FORCED us to change? Same with seat belts, speed limits, HEALTH CARE, TAXES, etc.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not TRULY law abiding. I rarely wear my seat belt unless I"m on the hiway. I NEVER do exactly the speed limit, but I don't drive recklessly or carelessly. I don't always use aerosol cans that are flammable in the manner they are meant to be used. (Sometimes a hornets nest or colony of ants asked to be fried) But I'm still law abiding. I abide laws that are Constitutional and that do not infringe on my rights. I abide by laws that I have to to be able to support my family. I abide by laws that are unConstitutional until everyone else wakes up and stands up for what they (say) they believe in. (i.e. LTCH)

So, what say you? Are you truly law abiding or are you a Patriot?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Is 'law abiding gun owner' what we should strive to be?

It depends on the law. We can strive to be peaceful, but not law abiding.

Sometimes one has to sit at the lunch counter and sitting at the lunch counter or in the front of the bus is breaking the law.

Kirk Freeman, aka The Rosa Parks of Broad Ripple.

We shall overcome.:)

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I wouldn't ever advocate violence, but you don't have to be violent to disregard an unConstitutional law or regulation. :twocents:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    7.jpg

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Unfortunately, when a lot of people that either grew up in a gun free or anti-gun household and life then they tend to project that onto their friends and family as well. I have had friends and roommates that were that way and in many cases they feel that a "law abiding gun owner" is something that can't exhist. I have done what I could to change their minds and even taken them shooting and made some headway but to many people this mentality will never change. I do not advocate openly committing crime but in many cases resistance and noncompliance to everything the opposition wants is neccesary.

Top Bottom