Is Man born inately good or bad natured?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Is Man born innately good or bad natured?

According to the Bible we are all sinners- "Original Sin" coursing through our veins. If you are a Christian, it seems you are predestined to have a sinful life, which makes you an innately bad person.

Do you agree?

If not, why? Please do share your thoughts.

Something to think about...

I absolutely do agree. Mankind is born depraved with a nature held in the tyranny of sin. The very best of our "goodness" is tainted apart from Christ and the only goodness we can do is that which comes from God.

"Can the Ethiopian change his skin? Or the leopard his spots? Neither can you do good who are accustomed to doing evil."

"Behold I was brought forth in iniquity and in sin my mother conceived me."

"No one is good except God alone."

"But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away."

In consequence of the fall of Adam, sin is the state of mankind. We are born with both a bent to sin as well as born into an environment in which nearly nothing restrains it. When sin came forth from Adam, it did not remain in isolation to him, but rather went to all his progeny. Thus, sin is the power and rule of the human "family" and we can only be freed from it through the redemptive power and forgiveness of Christ.

Even for we in Christ, however, will continue to sin and do so until we are are raised like Him with perfect eternal minds, hearts, souls, wills and bodies never again facing decay. Folks sometimes mistake the Christian religion as being one that requires perfection from followers. It's not about our perfection, it's about His being accounted to us by faith. The battle over sin and Satan is very much alive in us- the difference being before we came to Christ there was no battle, in Him now there is as well as a way to triumph.

Having a sin nature does not mean that all men are as bad as they can be. God puts forth various providences to keep that from occurring. But it does mean we are all fallen and in need of God's redemptive grace through Christ that He would be glorified as He frees us from sin's tyranny and saves us from the certain wrath of God to come.

Does it mean that babies go to Hell when they die? Absolutely not- there are several places in Scripture that contradict that thought.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I think some people are just born mean, My mothers parents had 7 sons and 3 daughters. 8 were good decent people. The other two were just mean hateful people. One of the sons ended up killing two men in a bar fight, had a rap sheet a mile long. One of the daughters stabbed a man in a bar for pinching her, and took her husbands gun (IPD officer) and threatened to shoot him. To this day I refuse to go around her.

ruger17hmr

Shooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    Indy
    I think some people are just born mean, My mothers parents had 7 sons and 3 daughters. 8 were good decent people. The other two were just mean hateful people. One of the sons ended up killing two men in a bar fight, had a rap sheet a mile long. One of the daughters stabbed a man in a bar for pinching her, and took her husbands gun (IPD officer) and threatened to shoot him. To this day I refuse to go around her.

I know a woman just like that.

My sister is the devil incarnate time to time.:ar15:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    :mods:

I realize that topics like this are often going to get responses with a religious twist, but I appreciate that most folks have managed to answer without arguing over religion. :yesway:

Our intent with the "no religious discussion" rule isn't to say that "INGO doesn't believe in your religion", but that we'd rather not host the many arguments that often come from such discussions.

Now, as for my personal belief as asked by the OP-- I believe that man is innately "bad". Left to his own devices I believe his true nature is to do evil.

Those of us who resist the temptation and try to be "good" do so because of outside influences, like God or society.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    :mods:

I realize that topics like this are often going to get responses with a religious twist, but I appreciate that most folks have managed to answer without arguing over religion. :yesway:

Our intent with the "no religious discussion" rule isn't to say that "INGO doesn't believe in your religion", but that we'd rather not host the many arguments that often come from such discussions.

Like This - My GOD Can Kick Your God's ASS! :D

acase20

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    Jay County
    Not belittling anybodies beliefs but I just can not bring myself to believe that the soul of a baby is going to burn in hell.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNzItMjAxMTA0MDktMTQ0OS5qcGc.jpg

I dont see how anyone could think that a child would or could "deserve" to go to hell

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom