• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Pat, in Tipton, did 3 transfers for me in 7 days. He said I MAY get a visit from the ATF. Three weeks later there was a knock at the door, two ATF agents. I didn't ask for a warrant but let them in. They explained the reason for their visit, 3 transfers in 1 week. They said they were "worried about weapons ending up in Chicago and you know the problems there." ( Yes. the punks carry guns but law abiding citizens can't.) I didn't say a thing except "follow me." I opened my 1500 pound Johnson safe and said do ANY of these look like what the ghetto rats in Chi buy? One replied " Christ man. You have a better collection than we do." Cabot's, UZI Model B's, S&W N frames, Pre WW2 1911's, Hi-Powers, CZ Custom Shop, Broomhandles. Not the 'plastic' things the punks favor.

So...you are now on their primary target list if/when the confiscation comes...because that stuff's cool.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I try to avoid "highly" illegal but am quite fond of "mostly", "nearly" and "oughta be" illegal. ;)

Or better yet, sometimes illegal (like purchasing alcohol ... on Sunday -- which I guess is changing soon, or shouldering a "braced" pistol, etc. )

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    So can you please tell us which dealer doesn't want your money.
    I would like to know who not to give money to also. My list is getting large.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Someone didn't want to fill out a 3310?:D

Yes, he is full of it. He didn't want to fill out the 3310.

In the gun business gun dealers use "the law" as an excuse or rationalization not to engage in business. It is a consequences of a hobby becoming a business.

E.g., when I was 18, I went to a gun shop on the westside of Indianapolis to purchase an HK93. Had the money in my pocket and had scouted the gun earlier with my dad.

I walk in, point to the HK93 and state that I desire to purchase said HK93. Stool sitter does not move. He states that it is "highly illegal" for him to sell me the gun.

In shock upon hearing that a business does not want my money, I state that I am not a prohibited person and I have the money (I even wave the dough).

I was told "the law" requires him not to sell it to me. I left and bought one at another dealer.

Next time this happened to me I shut down a Gander Mountain for hours after the bastards tried to tell me that "the law" required me to give them a phone number.

I won't be lied to by the lazy a-holes anymore. Always ask them to cite the statute/CFR. The cannot and will not. You know to shop around then.

I walked out of a gun store in Lafayette after the a-holes tried to tell me that the way I checked boxes on the 4473 was "highly illegal". I took my money back and have not and will not return.

Remember, just because they well guns does not mean that they are on our side. People want power over others. For some playing "gun god" is their way to obtain this power.

I have a creed that guided me when I opened the shop and it's simple.....

I will never do anything from this side of the counter that pissed me off when I was on the other side of the counter....It's cost me money, it's cost me time, but I still live by it...The minute I can't live by that creed I'll shut her down...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I walked out of a gun store in Lafayette after the a-holes tried to tell me that the way I checked boxes on the 4473 was "highly illegal".

Inquiring minds want to know which shop.
    Let me guess, was it the same one that wants to sell you more than three, but less than five firearms?

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Pat, in Tipton, did 3 transfers for me in 7 days. He said I MAY get a visit from the ATF. Three weeks later there was a knock at the door, two ATF agents. I didn't ask for a warrant but let them in. They explained the reason for their visit, 3 transfers in 1 week. They said they were "worried about weapons ending up in Chicago and you know the problems there." ( Yes. the punks carry guns but law abiding citizens can't.) I didn't say a thing except "follow me." I opened my 1500 pound Johnson safe and said do ANY of these look like what the ghetto rats in Chi buy? One replied " Christ man. You have a better collection than we do." Cabot's, UZI Model B's, S&W N frames, Pre WW2 1911's, Hi-Powers, CZ Custom Shop, Broomhandles. Not the 'plastic' things the punks favor.

You made your point with them, and it was probably really satisfying, but INVITING ATF INTO YOUR HOME and OPENING your gun safe? I'm not particularly paranoid, especially by INGO standards, but wow!

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Dealer in Lafayette once told me a story of a guy that bought 2- FN 5-7 Pistols at once. 1 for himself and 1 for his brother. He DID get a prompt visit from your new friends at the ATF. I bet he did.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Dealer in Lafayette once told me a story of a guy that bought 2- FN 5-7 Pistols at once. 1 for himself and 1 for his brother. He DID get a prompt visit from your new friends at the ATF. I bet he did.

See, I have a big problem with stories like this.
    If this happened as described, it would have been obvious to the dealer that it was a straw purchase, so why did they complete the sale?
    It should have been denied, and the attempted buyers information should have been forwarded to authorities along with the details of the attempted purchase.

I'm not saying it didn't happen. I just question some of the "experts" accounts.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    See, I have a big problem with stories like this.
    If this happened as described, it would have been obvious to the dealer that it was a straw purchase, so why did they complete the sale?
    It should have been denied, and the attempted buyers information should have been forwarded to authorities along with the details of the attempted purchase.

I'm not saying it didn't happen. I just question some of the "experts" accounts.

Its a valid criticism, but it could have been a gift. I would love to buy my brother a gun.

Voldemort

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indiana
    Someone didn't want to fill out a 3310?:D

Yes, he is full of it. He didn't want to fill out the 3310.

In the gun business gun dealers use "the law" as an excuse or rationalization not to engage in business. It is a consequences of a hobby becoming a business.

E.g., when I was 18, I went to a gun shop on the westside of Indianapolis to purchase an HK93. Had the money in my pocket and had scouted the gun earlier with my dad.

I walk in, point to the HK93 and state that I desire to purchase said HK93. Stool sitter does not move. He states that it is "highly illegal" for him to sell me the gun.

In shock upon hearing that a business does not want my money, I state that I am not a prohibited person and I have the money (I even wave the dough).

I was told "the law" requires him not to sell it to me. I left and bought one at another dealer.

Next time this happened to me I shut down a Gander Mountain for hours after the bastards tried to tell me that "the law" required me to give them a phone number.

I won't be lied to by the lazy a-holes anymore. Always ask them to cite the statute/CFR. The cannot and will not. You know to shop around then.

I walked out of a gun store in Lafayette after the a-holes tried to tell me that the way I checked boxes on the 4473 was "highly illegal". I took my money back and have not and will not return.

Remember, just because they well guns does not mean that they are on our side. People want power over others. For some playing "gun god" is their way to obtain this power.

Isn't it illegal for a gun shop to sell below 21 years old, but ftf is 18? If so, dealer was right.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Its a valid criticism, but it could have been a gift. I would love to buy my brother a gun.

Same here. But I don't see an actual straw. I wish I had a brother that would buy me a FN 5-7. "Cell call, hey, LGS has 2 FN 5-7's, want me to get you one?, sure!".

I was thinking that they got a visit due to being 5-7. :dunno:

(Not trying to start a debate.)

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Same here. But I don't see an actual straw. I wish I had a brother that would buy me a FN 5-7. "Cell call, hey, LGS has 2 FN 5-7's, want me to get you one?, sure!".

I was thinking that they got a visit due to being 5-7. :dunno:

(Not trying to start a debate.)
    They probably wanted to show up cuz they can’t find a single 5-7 themselves and had to see for themselves that someone made it out of a gunstore with 2...

I’ve rarely seen a single one somewhere. Somebody found two, I can see that drawing a crowd

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    A little over a year ago I had a nice little windfall and bought a whole pile of guns inside a 2 week period. Mostly revolvers, but a few autos and long guns as well. No one came by, no black helicopters circling, no maintenance vans parked outside for hours on end.
    I will say your dealer is ignorant of the law. I would not hesitate to do a little paperwork to make a multiple sale when the gun market is down like it is.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

My wife "buys" me guns occasionally. However, in this case I get to do all the work (round up the $$, go to the LGS, select the weapon, fill out the 4473, pay the nice man, etc).

However, I am NOT complaining. :):

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers

Because gang bangers are often running around with $1100 handguns with $.30/round ammo.

They probably wanted to show up cuz they can’t find a single 5-7 themselves and had to see for themselves that someone made it out of a gunstore with 2...

I’ve rarely seen a single one somewhere. Somebody found two, I can see that drawing a crowd

"So, we got this report about someone buying two fiveSevens and had to see this for ourselves..." :cool:

Top Bottom