• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    My dad has finally decided that having a handgun in the house is a smart idea. My brother and I have long since moved out and have taken our guns with us. He wants something idiot/bomb proof that is simply a point and shoot. Knowing him, he won't shoot it much, and that means he probably won't clean it much. He won't be carrying it either. To me, thus screams "revolver". Though he is a big guy, he talks about recoil being a factor. Having never shot a revolver, I'm not entirely sure would do recommend to him. Here's the real kicker. His budget is $300. He isn't afraid to buy used if in good condition, so that should provide. little wiggle room. He wants laser grips too, but I realize that would have to be not included in the $300. He likes the shorter barreled revolvers, so no 4" barrel suggestions please. Thanks INGO.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Can probably find a used Taurus .357 revolver in that price range...

And probably even a used Ruger P-series pistol, too. Those are tanks - and "relatively common".

Probably even a used S&W Sigma or SD pistol, too.

Have him shoot some pistols - don't shoehorn him into a revolver only.

-J-

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    I'd look for a S&W 642 or bodyguard...bodyguard already has laser grips on it. Both are .38 and (don't quote me) but I believe certain 642s can handle +p ammo. Price wise is just under $400. I've seen the 642 as low as $340 before which is a good deal IMO. The barrel IS a little shorter, but for home defense/up close and personal, I think it would get the job done. Just my .02

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Word of caution on the mini-revovlers:

While they ARE "point and click" guns - but they generally aren't "beginner guns".

They're not nearly as accurate as larger pieces, felt recoil can be MUCH more harsh due to their small size and light weight, and they aren't all that accurate if/when needing to shoot 20+ feet (generally speaking) due to their extremely short sight radius. Also, if it's the 642 or 442 platform - those are DAO. They come stock with a quite heavy and quite long trigger pull. This also greatly affects accuracy.

Also keep in mind that woman in GA last year - shot a home intruder 5 out of 6 times with a .38 Special... He's in jail, NOT 6' under. She's lucky he gave up or she'd probably have been in a world of hurt. I say this not to pan the .38 Special (I carry one myself) - but to know it's limitations. If you're choosing a .38 Special, be sure that it can handle the hottest rounds you can find - because you'll need that extra oomph. Standard pressure "target" .38 Special, while I wouldn't want to get shot with it, can be quite anemic. Especially out of a 1 & 7/8 barrel like on the J-frames. In all honesty, if I were to have a 38 Special revolver for home, I'd look for a 4" heavy barreled S&W Model 10 and get some stout loads for it.

Given my choice, though, I'd pick a 9mm pistol - even if it were an ugly chunk of plastic like the Ruger P-series. Ruger P series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    You can get a sigma series generally brand new for around 300-350. Personally i love that gun. I have a sigma 40ve. They do have the newer model but i like them. Not a whole lotta recoil. Easy to take apart.

Otherwise a revolver would be perfect too. You can find them under 300 quite often since a lot of taurus 38spl are 300-350 brand new. Just gotta find something that someone doesn't have a ridiculous used price on like most people. You know the whole i have a 350dollar gun i bought and shot the crap out of it so i want all my money back out of it.

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    Can probably find a used Taurus .357 revolver in that price range...

And probably even a used Ruger P-series pistol, too. Those are tanks - and "relatively common".

Probably even a used S&W Sigma or SD pistol, too.

Have him shoot some pistols - don't shoehorn him into a revolver only.

-J-

I agree with the S&W SD series, they are under rated guns. They are right around $300 new and are decent handguns especially if he is just wanting it for HD rather than the range.

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Word of caution on the mini-revovlers:

While they ARE "point and click" guns - but they generally aren't "beginner guns".

They're not nearly as accurate as larger pieces, felt recoil can be MUCH more harsh due to their small size and light weight, and they aren't all that accurate if/when needing to shoot 20+ feet (generally speaking) due to their extremely short sight radius. Also, if it's the 642 or 442 platform - those are DAO. They come stock with a quite heavy and quite long trigger pull. This also greatly affects accuracy.

Also keep in mind that woman in GA last year - shot a home intruder 5 out of 6 times with a .38 Special... He's in jail, NOT 6' under. She's lucky he gave up or she'd probably have been in a world of hurt. I say this not to pan the .38 Special (I carry one myself) - but to know it's limitations. If you're choosing a .38 Special, be sure that it can handle the hottest rounds you can find - because you'll need that extra oomph. Standard pressure "target" .38 Special, while I wouldn't want to get shot with it, can be quite anemic. Especially out of a 1 & 7/8 barrel like on the J-frames. In all honesty, if I were to have a 38 Special revolver for home, I'd look for a 4" heavy barreled S&W Model 10 and get some stout loads for it.

Given my choice, though, I'd pick a 9mm pistol - even if it were an ugly chunk of plastic like the Ruger P-series. Ruger P series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^^^ I second this. I was under the impression that semi-autos were out. I know some (i'll use this lightly) "older" folks have difficulty racking the slide on semi's and so a revolver has to do...this is the case for my mother, (rotator cuff issues and arthritis)...That being said, if you can swing a semi...i'll just say it...look for a used glock. You can pick a used one up at decent price $400 and sometimes under, and 99.9% of the time it WILL go bang. Nothing against rugers, or the sigma line, but you know a glock will get the job done...I've heard it both ways for the others...again just my .02 and nothing against the other manufactures.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My dad has finally decided that having a handgun in the house is a smart idea. My brother and I have long since moved out and have taken our guns with us. He wants something idiot/bomb proof that is simply a point and shoot. Knowing him, he won't shoot it much, and that means he probably won't clean it much. He won't be carrying it either. To me, thus screams "revolver". Though he is a big guy, he talks about recoil being a factor. Having never shot a revolver, I'm not entirely sure would do recommend to him. Here's the real kicker. His budget is $300. He isn't afraid to buy used if in good condition, so that should provide. little wiggle room. He wants laser grips too, but I realize that would have to be not included in the $300. He likes the shorter barreled revolvers, so no 4" barrel suggestions please. Thanks INGO.

Here's the thing. A revolver is fine, but if he is not going to carry it, etc, a 4" revolver is probably the best choice in that area. It will balance well, be easier to place rounds on target, etc. He should not rule out a gun of size because he doesn't like the look. Buy the tool to fit the purpose, not what he "thinks" he wants based on no experience with guns.

I think a revolver would be a fine choice. 4" barrel, go with a .357 and you have the option to "load it down" to .38 special, and still stay with a good hollow point, etc.

As others have said, a snubby revolver is not the weapon of choice for a novice. Double action trigger, with short barrel, and light weight will make it tough to shoot accurately.

I'd price some Rugers GP100, SP101, Security Six, etc and see what you can come up with. Likely it will be more than his budget, but will be well worth it. I would not buy a cheaply made revolver. Revolvers can be tanks, but they can also be a pain to deal with if there are issues (cylinder out of time, lock up issues, etc).

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    OP your talks about recoil and then says he likes the short barrels. You need to get out to a range where you can rent a few guns for him to shoot. The 4" revolvers in .357 are great guns and like has already been said they can shoot .38 specials with much less recoil. Lastly see if you can talk your father out of the laser, I really don't think it is what he want's more like something he feels he needs. Good sights are much more reliable than lasers.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Difficulty racking the slide on an auto is generally a technique issue rather than a strength issue. Better technique can certainly overcome lack of finger strength.

But, yes, that is indeed a concern with a pistol.

I hesitated to mention the newer Ruger SR-series pistols because I wasn't sure if you could even find a decent used one for $300. I've only ever held one - and it felt decent.

It's hard to find many QUALITY used .357 revovlers - and a little easier to find quality .38 Special guns. A beat up and ugly quality gun like a GP 100 / Security Six would make for a great house gun - provided it functions. Functionality trumps looks!

Looking hard and hitting up friends, neighbors, and co-workers can sometimes turn up folks needing to score quick cash, too. Used Glock, Ruger, & S&W guns are all over the place. Heck, even a used Tangfolio and/or Witness pistol would probably suffice. Even a Baby Eagle (both steel & polymer) would be right up his alley. Or even the Taurus clones of the Beretta 92 (Taurus PT92?) - which is generally regarded as Taurus' best pistol. I wholly admit to being a repeater of Taurus skepticism, I've never owned a Taurus product.

OP: Seems you may need to have a few more in-depth conversations with your dad. Perhaps even take him out to gun shops and let him fondle things.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    A short barrel revolver will have a lot of kick (recoil). I have a Ruger P90 DC in 45acp that has less recoil than any 1911 I've shot and it is an alloy frame. I would think that a Ruger P95 (9mm) would serve your dad well, but as others have said, he should shoot several different guns to see what really works best for him.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    Maybe you and your brother can pool your resources and get him a nice gun for Christmas. Removing the $300 barrier would help get him into the best gun for his needs. I agree with others that a 4" .357 revolver would be a good match for his request.
    If he likes it, he can add his own laser later.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I would suggest a revolver as well. You could find one used in the $300 range. However i'm not sure why a 4inch barrel would matter if it is to sit in a bedside drawer/etc. This will only dampen recoil and improve accuracy. it would not ever be noticed unless he carries it?

I Love Bourbon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    My .02....
    Stay with a revolver, if he's not going to shoot it on a regular basis he's not going to be able to handle a problem if it arises IE: will he be proficient enough to quickly chamber a round, clear a round, perform a tap-rack-bang drill or disengage the safety under a high stress scenario? If your Dad isn't going to carry it I would stay away from any lasers also, they're a crutch and if the weapon is needed and the battery is dead he may spend valuable seconds trying to locate a non-existent dot.

Revolvers are simple, problem free and they always go bang, there's no user interface other than the trigger and in a high stress situation that's enough to worry about.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    "Revolvers are simple, problem free and they always go bang, there's no user interface other than the trigger and in a high stress situation that's enough to worry about. " Revolvers are NOT problem free and that is said with experience. I had a Ruger SP101 lock up on me and the only solution was a gunsmith. My choice is a Glock and this is my reasoning, dirtbags travel in groups and attack that way. It has become very rare for just one to break into a home, which is the purpose for the gun in this case. A Ruger P95 (I use a Glock), when loaded, is a point and shoot and will have less recoil than any revolver, simply physics.

Top Bottom