Is NWI in an INGO Special. Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you be interested in the Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law held in NW Indiana?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    GunLawyer has advised that he would be willing to come up to NW Indiana and hold the Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law class (more info here on the class) provide we can get AT LEAST 8 people to participate. This post is to see if there is an interest in NW Indiana for this class, possible locations, etc.

I am willing to spree head this since I want to take this course but don't want to drive down to Indy for it. Plus it would be a good way to get to know the rest of the NWI INGO members.

Here is the info that I have so far.
    THIS IS ALL TENTATIVE AS I DO MORE RESEARCH THIS WEEKEND.

COST
    The cost of the class would be $100 for INGO members.
    Other possible cost that I can think of right now that we (the group) would incur would be:

• cost of room/range/location where we hold this
    • lunch if I need to arrange that for you from local place
    NOTE I AM NOT LOOKING TO MAKE A PROFIT FROM THIS. I JUST WANT THE CLASS TO BE HELD IN NWI. SO OTHER COST WOULD BE "AT COST" TO YOU.

DATE
    The class would be held sometime in NOV or DEC 2009. Most likely on a SAT or SUN since the class is ~ 6 hours and 30 mins long based on their website (Upcoming Classes)

Possible locations that I am thinking of:

• Deb's Gun Range (perhaps we can get range time free afterward)
    • Cabela's Conference Room
    • Marriott Hotels Complex on 80/94 near the Indiana Convention Center
    • Lake County Public Library on Route 30
    • East Chicago Public Library
    As you can see this is where I need some help in find possible locations to do it for free or little cost to us. We need a room only. GunLawyer will bring his own equipment (laptop, projector, screen for projector).

So if you are interested please answer the poll and post below.
    By posting below YOU ARE NOT COMMITTING to going to the class but this way I can track who I may have to contact in the future.
    If you have an idea for a location please also post.

Lets see what type of response we get by 30 OCT 09 and then we can see if we can do this.

FYI for those that don't know me.
    I have done 2 successful group buys on INGO.
    County Sherriff's American Last Hope
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...county_sheriffs_america_s_last_hope_book.html
    and
    Zombie Targets
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/group_buys/13095-group_buy_zombie_targets.html

So I'm not one that is going to run with the money and never be heard of again or just this started and NOT see it thru.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    For those of you NOT in NORTHERN LAKE COUNTY do you have suggestions of possible locations in your area? From the initial feedback I am getting it seems as it would be best to have 2 sessions one in PORTER and another in LAKE. Not sure if GunLawyer could do 2 right now.

Just an FYI. Locations SOUTH of US-30 and EAST of US-65 are foreign to me. Once I hit those "borders" I know I'm not in Kansas anymore *cough* Northern Lake County and thus my compass of where stuff is at is very limited in that respect.

Yes I know that there is "stuff" beyond 30 going to Vaplo but in my mind Valpo is a tiny town that is past "south lake mall". Yes I know that there is stuff beyond US-30 (naming St. John and Lake Central and a nice few restaurants in that location) but really going south of 30 is to a) get to the flea market (Uncle Johns/Joes on 30) or b) going to Terra H... or Peroria, IL and seeing lots of "farm land".

I'm sorry if this offends anyone in NWI but most of my work/activities are in northern lake county and the Chicago. :faint: Thus why my initial "brainstorming" was limited to a few location. If we can get some place for FREE that would be best as it would mean no additional cost for the class. Otherwise we would end up splitting the cost to "rent" whatever location we get. Keep the ideas coming it looks like we do have enough interest.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    For those of you NOT in NORTHERN LAKE COUNTY do you have suggestions of possible locations in your area? From the initial feedback I am getting it seems as it would be best to have 2 sessions one in PORTER and another in LAKE. Not sure if GunLawyer could do 2 right now.

Just an FYI. Locations SOUTH of US-30 and EAST of US-65 are foreign to me. Once I hit those "borders" I know I'm not in Kansas anymore *cough* Northern Lake County and thus my compass of where stuff is at is very limited in that respect.

Yes I know that there is "stuff" beyond 30 going to Vaplo but in my mind Valpo is a tiny town that is past "south lake mall". Yes I know that there is stuff beyond US-30 (naming St. John and Lake Central and a nice few restaurants in that location) but really going south of 30 is to a) get to the flea market (Uncle Johns/Joes on 30) or b) going to Terra H... or Peroria, IL and seeing lots of "farm land".

I'm sorry if this offends anyone in NWI but most of my work/activities are in northern lake county and the Chicago. :faint: Thus why my initial "brainstorming" was limited to a few location. If we can get some place for FREE that would be best as it would mean no additional cost for the class. Otherwise we would end up splitting the cost to "rent" whatever location we get. Keep the ideas coming it looks like we do have enough interest.
    Valporaiso? I haven't been there since Carmel lost to Valpo in the 1975 state championship football game 13-14 (not a good memory for me). But I suppose I could endure a return trip if that's the consensus.

And if we need two different sessions, I could do that on a Saturday/Sunday swing without a problem - but not on two different weekends, particularly in November when I'm going to be teaching several Basic Pistol and Personal Protection courses.

Hope that helps! I do appreciate the interest.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Lake Co public library may be a good option, less cost i'd assume and right off I-65.

Debs was my first thought, but they don't have much space for conference and I doubt they'd be willing to give up 6.5hrs. Might be worth a try though since the range is just downstairs.

I won't be able to participate for financial reasons, but sounds like a good idea

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    jeepers that's a huge chunk of change for a family discount.

How bout a pot luck at my house Gunlawyer agrees to $800 for the seminar and we can get @ 15 people comfortably in my living room. Now that would be something to write home about.

Not doggin your seminar GL this economy is really hard hit out here and I know lawyers make a living and all but if $100 per person and 25 people show that's $2500 gross which to me is a great days pay in most of our book. So since your expenses don't change we figure out an extra $ amount per person over 8 but split the difference over all attendees.
    You still make extra for the bigger class size but ...

Now I will shut up before I get GL and the rest of the Capitalist brigade on me.

Look I am not looking for free here but howbout floating the discounts down over a bigger volume you still make a good piece of $ and the rest of us on a budget can learn your program.
    :twocents:
    :popcorn:

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    jeepers that's a huge chunk of change for a family discount.

How bout a pot luck at my house Gunlawyer agrees to $800 for the seminar and we can get @ 15 people comfortably in my living room. Now that would be something to write home about.

Not doggin your seminar GL this economy is really hard hit out here and I know lawyers make a living and all but if $100 per person and 25 people show that's $2500 gross which to me is a great days pay in most of our book. So since your expenses don't change we figure out an extra $ amount per person over 8 but split the difference over all attendees.
    You still make extra for the bigger class size but ...

Now I will shut up before I get GL and the rest of the Capitalist brigade on me.

Look I am not looking for free here but howbout floating the discounts down over a bigger volume you still make a good piece of $ and the rest of us on a budget can learn your program.
    :twocents:
    :popcorn:
    To be very frank, I have hundreds of hours invested in putting this course together (if not more), and I'm knocking a full 1/3 off the regular tuition for INGO members. $100 for over six hours of legal instruction is a hell of a deal.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    To be very frank, I have hundreds of hours invested in putting this course together (if not more), and I'm knocking a full 1/3 off the regular tuition for INGO members. $100 for over six hours of legal instruction is a hell of a deal.

Agreed.

The profit from this type of event seems high when it is compared to the costs of holding the meeting but it does not take into account the costs of planning and preparation that went into the development of the the seminar. Last time I checked, my lawyer charges me $225/hour to sit down and chat with him, so $100 for 6+ hours is a bargain.

That said, I'm probably not attending. Weekends are my family time, too valuable to give up, even for an interesting topic.

For locations, I'd suggest the Lake County Public Library on US30. Easy access for Porter County residents via US30. Easy access from INDY via I-65 to US30. Easy access to anyone inside Lake County.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I would be interested in making the trip from Noblesville, simply because I couldn't make his class this weekend due to scheduling conflicts and really wanted to attend. I would definately make the drive.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Agreed.

The profit from this type of event seems high when it is compared to the costs of holding the meeting but it does not take into account the costs of planning and preparation that went into the development of the the seminar. Last time I checked, my lawyer charges me $225/hour to sit down and chat with him, so $100 for 6+ hours is a bargain.

That said, I'm probably not attending. Weekends are my family time, too valuable to give up, even for an interesting topic.

For locations, I'd suggest the Lake County Public Library on US30. Easy access for Porter County residents via US30. Easy access from INDY via I-65 to US30. Easy access to anyone inside Lake County.

Point taken Frank and Melensdad!

Lake County Public Library would not allow any "paid" Seminars and had to be open to the public last I checked which was 2006.

A restaurant with family style luncheons is @ 8 to 15 per person and usually have a back room to do this. If you compensate for the extra time and pay a few extra pieces of silver they probably would accomadate you.

Try Tiebels or somewhere similar with a back room. Or try Highland Assembly of God. They have a nice fellowship hall that they rent out for @ $100, again 2006 info but should be close.
    Then just brownbag it or buy dayold chicken from KFC or Little Ceasers $5 pizzas for food. Add a few choices of soda n water in coolers or java and the day is simple and affordable.

Jeb. GL or Frank goodluck and Godbless.
    Hope it goes well either way.
    Chris

truegrit

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Highland,IN
    Any of the lake county locations would be ideal I normally shoot at Deb's I don't drive anymore and it would be easier to get a ride in Lake County

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Just an FYI...

The public libraries are out (Lake County and East Chicago) due to it being a "paid" event and the length of the course (too many hours to have 1 room).

Going today to Cabela's today to see their room. We can rent 1/2 a room for $75 for the whole day. Plus they have a deli on site and are gun OK (read OC OK).

Going to Deb's to see their room. I have been there before but tend to just get their and go downstairs. I've been in her "classroom" just once and it is small from what I remember. Need to see how many people we could put in there. Food for this location would be across the street several restaurants (mexican, american, greek I think)

There is someone looking at a possible location in Lake Station which would be free perhaps and next to a Pizza shop (for food). Another INGO member working on this whom I am not sure if s/he wants his/her name out in the open yet.

Purdue University Calumet and North Central may be other possible locations with PUC being free to a student (I know someone) but not gun friendly and food wise we have to leave campus. Although on a Sat the buildings would be empty or close to it.

More to come but based on the initial poll it looks like we do have at least 8 so now it's just me doing the homework of finding a location and then confirmation some days.

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    The location in Lake Station is almost guaranteed unless someone rents between now and then, but that is doubtful, since these locations have been vacant for months. We do have a Verona Pizza 3 or 4 stores down, and might be able to get some discounts. Only problem is at the Lake Station Verona sometimes it is good, and sometimes its not. Beef sandwiches are defiantly the way to go there. If we could get permission from the school at PNC or PUC it could be changed to gun friendly, but it would still rpobably a hostile area. I dont know if PNC would charge for students. I dont usually go around PUC so I dont know what food is there, but PNC has michigan city 10 minutes away, and about 10 minutes the otehr way is westville, which has a nice little italian joint with good food and fair prices. Other than that its an arbys at a gas station on 2 and 421.

No matter what I want to see this class come here, so if it costs a few extra bucks to get us a nice place and some shooting time then so be it. If we gotta pay a little and split it up among everyone, its still cheaper then us all driving down to indy.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I think Saturday, November 21 at Cabela's sounds fantastic - subject to everyone's availability.

FYI - yesterday's class at Eagle Creek went great. We had 10 INGO members in the class, and everyone seemed to enjoy it - and everyone learned a hell of a lot. In fact, we had several instances of "Wow, I never knew THAT was the law!" (I love those moments - because that's when I know that the course is delivering real value.)

Top Bottom